Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wever75
Are you guys seek a big performance difference between the B5 and B4.2? If so what is it and how big
I picked up 2-3 seconds a lap from my B4.2 lap times. I put tons of time and money into my b4. B5 is set up as the manual suggests.
Cant wait to try the B5m next!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by moto44
Any word on a Factory Team version? Hate to buy the Team Kit and the Factory Team comes out the next week.
I havent heard anything, but my assumption would be not for a little bit. Especially with them just releasing this car, another car in a few weeks AND the factory parts which are slowly becoming available. I personally would by the B5 how it is now and add the factory parts you see fit.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moto44
Any word on a Factory Team version? Hate to buy the Team Kit and the Factory Team comes out the next week.
A 'factory' team kit is a ways down the road, they just released the team kit
E
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Has anyone added any weight to their car for better handling? I feel that it seems to go down the straights a little light on the front end. But, seems a little heavy in the front on jumps.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Holeshot114
Has anyone added any weight to their car for better handling? I feel that it seems to go down the straights a little light on the front end. But, seems a little heavy in the front on jumps.
Kody Put 1/2 oz on top of the servo at the Rumble last weekend, I didn't ask him about it... so not sure what he was trying to get out of it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Captcha
Nice shock towers, but pricey whoooo, after conversion is almost $40 USD before international shipping.
Hi Captcha,
Actually they are 19% cheaper (no VAT charge) for non-EU customers, just have a closer look on the products detail page

Regards, Stefan
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My head-to-head comparison: Serpent Spyder SRX2 RM vs. AE RC10B5!

PROS:

Serpent: Great build quality, superior plastics, very durable, easy to work on. Box stock setup is very good, and the car really comes to life when you take the time to setup/tune everything.

Associated: Great build quality, 100% improvement of plastics, great parts support (when they become readily available), nimble, superior traction.

DRIVING:

Serpent: The car favors an aggressive driver, the harder you drive it the better it likes it. In some sections of a local track that favor finnesse, and slower speeds it seemed to at times lack side bite. Jumps and lands very plushly.

Associated: Very smooth, and nimble car. Transitions nicely in tight sections, but doesn't over rotate in long sweeping sections. Great steering as to be expected, but now factor in superb traction. After a few setup changes the car was an absolute animal, and attacked the track nicely. Jumps 100x better than the B4 line-up ever thought of, and lands solidly.

PRICE:

Serpent: The car is a steal at $299.95. Factor in CF shock towers/battery brace. Aluminum through out, and all tuning options included in the kit.

Associated: The best bargain car coming in at $239.95. While I would have paid an additional $30 for the aluminum hexes through out, you still cannot beat the car you get for the price.

CONS:

Serpent: Parts support for some, if not most may be a concern. WHILE you do not NEED a ton of parts as the car is very durable, I always live by the saying, "It is better to have and not need, than need and not have." The car to me also felt at times in-consistent. From lap to lap it felt like I would get a different reaction out of it. I am no pro level driver, but this is something I noticed immediately. The tunability while being a great aide for those that know what they are doing, for some can also be an issue, as there are a ton of options available.

Associated: Initial parts support seemed to be lacking in my eyes. Again while I have driven the car hard through it's first 10 packs and not needed anything, refer to my live by saying above. The box stock setup is abismal, and best if anything used for just building the car. I wouldn't put it out in a qualifier with this setup. The plastic rear hexes are a nightmare, and I eventually had to CA them on so they would not pull off with my rims. The setup in the manual can use a couple more details, like shock length, and stroke length for initial build.

OVERALL:

Serpent: An overall great buy, and I would not fault a single person for buying the car. Easy to drive/maintain/work on, and loves to be driven hard.

Associated: The best bang for the buck car in the over populated 2wd buggy market out right now. After 2 packs, and a few setup changes I instantly felt more comfortable, and more "one" with the car over the serpent I had a solid 2 months on driving and tuning.

OVERALL WINNER:

TIE!

I could not pick a clear cut winner for multiple reasons. The main reason being, they are both superb cars, and in the right hands can win all the time. For me I chose the RC10B5, but if for some reason over time I end up not liking the car as much as I do now, I will be buying another Serpent.

Thanks for the time to read,
Brandon
Old 02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chancejeff
So last time I brought up the smc shorty lipo and everyone was against it over in the mid motor forum, so what is your opinions on the Gens Ace shorty lipo?
I ran my car for the first time last night. Took 2nd on the first qualifier, TQ'd the second, and the final I had some issues with a transponder that put me in last place for some reason. The car ran fantastic! Kit setup is really good. I ran SMC shortys and the car jumped perfectly with the battery shifted forward. Great power and punch from that battery. I will be buying more shortys and have no desire to try the square pack.

I had no issues with any loose screws or ballstuds but I did brake a spring cup oddly enough. I have never broken one of those, and I am suspecting it was a manufacturing defect as I didn't hit anything when it happened.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

I was considering the idea of adding some weight to help with an issue of pushing through turns but I haven't yet. The car jumps so darn good as it is, not sure I want to mess with it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

My head-to-head comparison: Serpent Spyder SRX2 RM vs. AE RC10B5!

PROS:

Serpent: Great build quality, superior plastics, very durable, easy to work on. Box stock setup is very good, and the car really comes to life when you take the time to setup/tune everything.

Associated: Great build quality, 100% improvement of plastics, great parts support (when they become readily available), nimble, superior traction.

DRIVING:

Serpent: The car favors an aggressive driver, the harder you drive it the better it likes it. In some sections of a local track that favor finnesse, and slower speeds it seemed to at times lack side bite. Jumps and lands very plushly.

Associated: Very smooth, and nimble car. Transitions nicely in tight sections, but doesn't over rotate in long sweeping sections. Great steering as to be expected, but now factor in superb traction. After a few setup changes the car was an absolute animal, and attacked the track nicely. Jumps 100x better than the B4 line-up ever thought of, and lands solidly.

PRICE:

Serpent: The car is a steal at $299.95. Factor in CF shock towers/battery brace. Aluminum through out, and all tuning options included in the kit.

Associated: The best bargain car coming in at $239.95. While I would have paid an additional $30 for the aluminum hexes through out, you still cannot beat the car you get for the price.

CONS:

Serpent: Parts support for some, if not most may be a concern. WHILE you do not NEED a ton of parts as the car is very durable, I always live by the saying, "It is better to have and not need, than need and not have." The car to me also felt at times in-consistent. From lap to lap it felt like I would get a different reaction out of it. I am no pro level driver, but this is something I noticed immediately. The tunability while being a great aide for those that know what they are doing, for some can also be an issue, as there are a ton of options available.

Associated: Initial parts support seemed to be lacking in my eyes. Again while I have driven the car hard through it's first 10 packs and not needed anything, refer to my live by saying above. The box stock setup is abismal, and best if anything used for just building the car. I wouldn't put it out in a qualifier with this setup. The plastic rear hexes are a nightmare, and I eventually had to CA them on so they would not pull off with my rims. The setup in the manual can use a couple more details, like shock length, and stroke length for initial build.

OVERALL:

Serpent: An overall great buy, and I would not fault a single person for buying the car. Easy to drive/maintain/work on, and loves to be driven hard.

Associated: The best bang for the buck car in the over populated 2wd buggy market out right now. After 2 packs, and a few setup changes I instantly felt more comfortable, and more "one" with the car over the serpent I had a solid 2 months on driving and tuning.

OVERALL WINNER:

TIE!

I could not pick a clear cut winner for multiple reasons. The main reason being, they are both superb cars, and in the right hands can win all the time. For me I chose the RC10B5, but if for some reason over time I end up not liking the car as much as I do now, I will be buying another Serpent.

Thanks for the time to read,
Brandon

Well Said
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I picked up 2-3 seconds a lap from my B4.2 lap times. I put tons of time and money into my b4. B5 is set up as the manual suggests.
Cant wait to try the B5m next!
How big is the track?? I agree that the b5 is a better buggy overall, but 2-3 seconds a lap is pretty dramatic on most tracks.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Nobody has tried to weight the car in the back? I usually run in a indoor clay track...it's not sugared...it becomes a little dusty when it dry...(they use water 2/3 times a week)
The track surface is hard, with only some small bumps...it's a clay with low traction.
The b5 has much consistent steering than the b4.2...so i was thinking to add 30/70 grams in the back to increase traction...no one else has tried to mess with rear weight?

With only some small testing the b5 has now a lap time as fast as the previous b4.2...maybe with some work and changes it can become faster...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

CONS:

Associated: ...The box stock setup is abismal, and best if anything used for just building the car. I wouldn't put it out in a qualifier with this setup.
Wait what? The stock setup is terrible? I picked up a lap on my previous best with no tuning whatsoever. Am I going to be able to do even more with some tweeks? Really I just thought it was better than the B4 everywhere.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Remember these are my opinions on my local track that I have ran both cars at based on my driving style.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, thanks for all the responses. I can pick up a FT b4.2 with all the goodies for $150. For my 1st 2wd buggy i don't think I will see a huge difference between the B5 and B4. ( on a personal begginer note )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.