R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #3256
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by splking1 View Post
I'm running black springs all around. What oils are you running?
Black springs all around? Sounds too soft. The white springs all around is pretty dialed. 1.6 pistons all around is good too. 32/30 oil front/back or 30/27. Should feel pretty good. I like the inner most hole for mounting the rear shocks on the tower, like Maifield's setups have reflected.

EDIT: Note, these setup tips are for indoor clay.

Last edited by rigor; 04-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #3257
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Servo Tape.....the good stuff
3M Outdoor Weather tape is bomb. It's gummy and comes off completely clean by finger rolling it. It'll hold lipos down no issue.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #3258
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
3M Outdoor Weather tape is bomb. It's gummy and comes off completely clean by finger rolling it. It'll hold lipos down no issue.
That's the stuff!

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #3259
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Gull wing for lower traction, they tip in more but steer less in the middle & exit.

Flat for high traction
Tip in is smoother , a little more steering in the middle and exit.
+1
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #3260
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies on the gearing. Yeah idk it's weird that it gets so warm. I thought about the undergearing too but if I gear up anymore the car feels like it has no low end around the technical sections in 17.5. I am going to do some more playing around tomorrow with just gearing and see what I can figure out. Also on Maifields Warehouse3 setup it says he is running 23/81 gearing with a 7.5 and timing 0. Would that mean he retarded the timing back to 0 on the motor or left it at the stock 20? I'm having issues at 21/81 with my 7.5 getting hot and stock timing of 21/81.. so maybe that explains the 0 timing.
ktmderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #3261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 266 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmderf View Post
Thanks for the replies on the gearing. Yeah idk it's weird that it gets so warm. I thought about the undergearing too but if I gear up anymore the car feels like it has no low end around the technical sections in 17.5. I am going to do some more playing around tomorrow with just gearing and see what I can figure out. Also on Maifields Warehouse3 setup it says he is running 23/81 gearing with a 7.5 and timing 0. Would that mean he retarded the timing back to 0 on the motor or left it at the stock 20? I'm having issues at 21/81 with my 7.5 getting hot and stock timing of 21/81.. so maybe that explains the 0 timing.
Zero means zero timing not what it came set at from the manufacture. Try going up to a 23 just watch temps closely. Brushless motors can produce more power all the way around when geared properly.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #3262
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
maybe you are expecting too much. switching from 7.5 to 17.5 is a pretty huge difference. also batteries make a huge difference in stock.
TC7 , LRP, SCHUURSPEED 17.5
10R5.1, H/W, SCHUURSPEED 17.5
predu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #3263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
+1
My car has a little push going in and then gets better mid and exit and I'm running gw arms. Guess I don't need flat arms.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #3264
Tech Adept

Quote:
Black springs all around? Sounds too soft. The white springs all around is pretty dialed. 1.6 pistons all around is good too. 32/30 oil front/back or 30/27. Should feel pretty good. I like the inner most hole for mounting the rear shocks on the tower, like Maifield's setups have reflected.

EDIT: Note, these setup tips are for indoor clay.
Thanks for the advise. I'll try all whites tomorrow before switching oil
splking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #3265
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Are you downsiding the landing? I normally see this on flat landings.
Yeah flat landing and occasionally downsiding
splking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #3266
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Servo Tape.....the good stuff
Quote:
Quote:
That's the stuff!
Yep.com Home Depots the place for that!
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #3267
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splking1 View Post
This is kinda crazy. I was able to drop another 22 grams off the car. I normally run for 5 minutes and my temps are 160-165. Today we were doing 7 minute heats and my motor only got up to 135 degrees. I was pretty shocked. I was able to turn the timing up 2 degrees on the motor and temps got up to 150. My car should be close to the 1500 mark i think this week with the lighter battery.......maybe dropping the weight helps

Thanks BillPear for all the help!!!
Your Welcome.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #3268
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've been having trouble with heat with my B5ms. I have a car for both stock and mod. I haven't seen a whole lot about that trouble in this thread but I did see where dropping weight has made it better especially in stock. My stock comes in at almost 1600 grams but I have it geared at 29/75 which is pretty conservative compared to others and with 30degrees of motor timing in blinky mode. So I don't quite get why it's getting hot. Is it the weight? I ran the same setup on my 4.2 and it used to come off just warm. I don't see how some guys are running gearing like 69/32 with 17.5 and not getting way too hot? I'm running on an indoor track that isn't big but it isn't tight. Even with my mod car I'm running a Reedy 7.5 with gearing at 21/81 and it will come off at 185 and that's with stock timing at 20 degrees. I just saw Maifields latest setup and he's running the Reedy 7.5 gearing at 23/81 with 0 degrees of timing. Does that mean he retarded the timing on the motor from the stock 20 to 0? Or is 0 in reference to the stock 20? If that makes any sense lol. Any tips are really appreciated. My 17.5 is also a Sonic Mach 2.
Don't know why your so hot, I run my SchuurSpeed at 69/32 and 40 degrees without it even getting to hot to touch. Is it the same Reedy you ran in the centro or another one, if its another one maybe you got one that runs hot.You could cut out the vent in the body that over the top of the motor and see if that helps. And, everyone say it with me, losing weight will help.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #3269
n8b
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Anyone have any issues with the pin in the bone not being center? It looks like it's not drilled centered. I didn't notice till I went to put it in the diff outdrive and it wouldn't go. Spun it 180 and it went in. Haven't finished the build yet, but that can't be good for balance.
n8b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #3270
Tech Rookie

Thanks wheelman for the answer on the timing. Bill pear, it is the same motor/ESC setup out of my previous car. I am getting a set of the lighter shorty packs from a main so I'll see if that'll help. I already have the aluminum screw kit and top shaft. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't notice it during the run. Probably the last minute or minute and a half of a 5 minute qualifier the throttle gets incredibly soft to the point where I can't clear doubles that I could clear easily in the beginning of the run. I've tried a different battery to check that and it was the same thing.
ktmderf is offline   Reply With Quote