R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #2761
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Why does no one talk about adding toe in to get rear bite back? To me that the beauty of the new car. You don't have to have $100 worth of rear hubs to add more bite if you want to try it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #2762
n8b
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyWest View Post
On another B5M note I too am confused on how people post about a car and do not own one.
+1
n8b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #2763
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried both the .5 and 1.0 "pills" to add rear toe. They both added forward traction but did not make a big difference in lateral grip. I settled on the .5 pills. Helped a little but took away steering/added push ( I know, big surprise!) It's the inconsistent lateral grip that doesn't inspire confidence to push the car. Can anyone with more expertise expound upon this?
buyselltradeevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #2764
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Try taking away some anti-squat. You can go down to 1° with the stock pieces and 0° with the FT pieces / inserts.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #2765
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
Some of you guys really crack me up--so much debate about RM vs MM--and then when someone like cherry posts a valid tip specific to the "M" he gets hammered. I bet if you took all the pages of RM vs MM debate you'd have only about 10 pages of items specific to the "M"--and prolly 5 of those pages cherry gets credit for---think about it for a moment......
I never have any issue with Cherry's opinions, even when I disagree. I only have an issue when he says someone is 100% wrong, or that something can only be one way or another. Maybe it's just a communication gap or something, I dunno.

I won't bore you guys with 10 pages of this stuff. (anyone remember big bore spring debates!!!!!) I was asked, so I gave my opinion. If you have a specific question, ask me and I'll do my best to answer . If you want to BS, that's cool too! PM me or find me on your favorite social media sites. I sit at a computer 12-14 hours a day... odds are I will be online in some form or another.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #2766
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Matt isn't the box build setting 1 degree Anti-Squat? I have the FT "C" block and Im running 3/1 insert in I recall correctly.
Oldgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #2767
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Designs View Post
Why does no one talk about adding toe in to get rear bite back? To me that the beauty of the new car. You don't have to have $100 worth of rear hubs to add more bite if you want to try it.
sounds crazy, but I went the opposite way on my B4. I went to 2.5 toe. It gave a more predictable slide and flow through the turns, not that grab hard hook or spin out.

But yeah, your point is very valid... you should be able to adjust it how ever you like with what is already in the box!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #2768
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Everyone!

Getting back into the electric off-road scene after many years away. I raced a small 1/4 scale on-road car a few years back until the local carpet track closed. Prior to that I had a B4 when they were first released, but the closest 1/10 track was an hour and a half away. After a few trips up there, I realized it just wasn't going to work. I ended up selling it after a few months. Many years before that I raced a gold tub RC10. That was back in the mid to late 80’s when the RC racing scene seemed much bigger (at least around here) than it is now. At one point in time, we had three indoor tracks in a town of 500,000!

Anyway, I would like to get back into racing as I recently discovered there is an indoor 1/10 off-road track about 10 minutes from home! I have read all about the new B5m, so decided that would be the car to get!

Having been away from this for so long, there is a lot of new technology that I am not familiar with. Maybe someone can give me a quick rundown on some of these items (or point me to a good resource that explains some of the newer tech):

1) What is a sensor wire?
2) What is a puck system?
3) What is the difference between a “shorty” and other pack types?
4) Never raced a brushless, so is it a good idea to pick up a brushless “system” (motor and ESC combo)? Or should they be purchased separately? I see some of the big names from back in the day are still around (Novak, Tekin, Reedy, etc…)
5) I have an older Airtronics MX3 radio system (receiver, servos, etc…)… will this work with a brushless setup in the B5m? I’d rather not have to purchase a new radio right now.

I think that’s about it. Hopefully I didn’t bore you with my RC life history!
DropPass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #2769
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropPass View Post
Hi Everyone!

Getting back into the electric off-road scene after many years away. I raced a small 1/4 scale on-road car a few years back until the local carpet track closed. Prior to that I had a B4 when they were first released, but the closest 1/10 track was an hour and a half away. After a few trips up there, I realized it just wasn't going to work. I ended up selling it after a few months. Many years before that I raced a gold tub RC10. That was back in the mid to late 80’s when the RC racing scene seemed much bigger (at least around here) than it is now. At one point in time, we had three indoor tracks in a town of 500,000!

Anyway, I would like to get back into racing as I recently discovered there is an indoor 1/10 off-road track about 10 minutes from home! I have read all about the new B5m, so decided that would be the car to get!

Having been away from this for so long, there is a lot of new technology that I am not familiar with. Maybe someone can give me a quick rundown on some of these items (or point me to a good resource that explains some of the newer tech):

4) Never raced a brushless, so is it a good idea to pick up a brushless “system” (motor and ESC combo)? Or should they be purchased separately? I see some of the big names from back in the day are still around (Novak, Tekin, Reedy, etc…)
5) I have an older Airtronics MX3 radio system (receiver, servos, etc…)… will this work with a brushless setup in the B5m? I’d rather not have to purchase a new radio right now.

1) a wire between a brushless motor and esc that tells the esc how to make the motor run better (very noticeable on the low end)
2) MIP puck system made by MIP aluminum CVD's with a plasic "puck" between the outdrive and the bone (currently only for stock class, mod is on the way).
3) shorty is a shorter than a regular sized lipo. by length, when the battery tray runs saddle packs put together a shorty will fit in the tray as well.
4)Brushless is way better. Yes buy in a combo its cheaper. Some motor companies dont have ESC's tho, that's when you'd buy seperate.
5) yes it will work, 2.4ghz just eliminates the same frequency problem on older am fm radios. Not very many people have am fm anymore anyway.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #2770
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropPass View Post
Hi Everyone!

Wouldn't be bad to get a 'system'. Also look at the Hobbywing stuff as it's very good yet inexpensive. The system should come with the sensor wire which is a connection between the motor and esc so the esc can better power the motor. Shorty is shorter than a traditional stick pack and lighter.
Your radio should work but a new, even cheap, modern version than "binds" would be well worth your money.
http://www.falconsekido.com/pages/frontpage
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #2771
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

1) What is a sensor wire? - wire from motor to esc to make it a "sensored" set-up.
2) What is a puck system? - MIP puck system is replacement rear axles and diff parts that are lighter than stock parts. Good for 17.5 motor racing, we are waiting for release on B5.
3) What is the difference between a “shorty” and other pack types? Shorty is smaller pack, lighter and usually a lower mAh rating. Good for weight savings, B5m only fits shorty or square pack.
4) Never raced a brushless, so is it a good idea to pick up a brushless “system” (motor and ESC combo)? Or should they be purchased separately? I see some of the big names from back in the day are still around (Novak, Tekin, Reedy, etc…) - What you feel comfortable with but yes on brushless, I have done both put I currently run Reedy motors and LRP ESC's, everybody likes what they like and get use too.
5) I have an older Airtronics MX3 radio system (receiver, servos, etc…)… will this work with a brushless setup in the B5m? I’d rather not have to purchase a new radio right now.- Don't know on this.

You will like B5M, good car.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #2772
Tech Addict

ugg... I did this big thing with my latest outdoor setup and the site wouldn't let me post it and said to try again later...lol

maybe it was to long for one post..

anyway.. everything is there in the kit to help you tune the car for many options of surfaces or driving styles... tuning a mid motor is a little different the rm car.
don't be afraid to change blocks, hub positions both rear and in front.. .

anyway.. I am on lunch so only a min. but will post setup later in 3 parts so it will post ok next time.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #2773
Tech Addict

oh and the kyosho mid is a really good car.. but like the b5m you need to learn to tune it.. I have a friend who has one and he is prob. going to sell it and get a b5m because then he can mooch of me for help a lot more....lol and the associated is also a lot less expensive with great support.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #2774
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the build on B5m is a 3 + 1 on rear toe and droop. Anybody change insert and what did you see? Going to read up on it now.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #2775
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad dude View Post
I'm not trying to start any bashing or comparison deadlock but can someone who had the RB6 and B5m share their thoughts on the the 2 cars. I have the RB6 in MM configuration but that darn B5m just looks good. Any thoughts please.
I have both but havent driven both because I am selling my rb6, its built but ive never used it cus b5m has been great.