R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes

Old 03-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #2566
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to BillPear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
well your battery is 100 grams lighter right there. And I know I have some extra wire because I left it longer purposely for the first little bit until I know that I'm leaving stuff where it's at.

You're also running a low profile servo and I'm not. Between that and the battery, there's your difference there.

When I build a 17.5 car, it will be under weight and have a lightened drive train.
Quote:
I also took the alum bell cranks off. I can't get the screw to stay threaded on it. Keeps backing out even with thread lock. I have to think about how to make it work. For now it goes in the box.
I'm not bagging on your car, just saying that many of you guys are coming in fat, and many want to add weight for tuning, which, in my opinion, is just ridiculous until you're near the minimum. I'm not real sure why folks are running the square pack or saddles for five minute mains. Even last night during our local club racing Steven Hartson was preaching the shorty for the mod class. Oh and FWIW he was running the gull wings at OC_RC last night as well.

As for the steering rack I was told there was a problem with it. Look it up on RC10.com the page for it has been pulled too.
BillPear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #2567
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPear View Post
I'm not bagging on your car, just saying that many of you guys are coming in fat, and many want to add weight for tuning, which, in my opinion, is just ridiculous until you're near the minimum. I'm not real sure why folks are running the square pack or saddles for five minute mains. Even last night during our local club racing Steven Hartson was preaching the shorty for the mod class. Oh and FWIW he was running the gull wings at OC_RC last night as well.

As for the steering rack I was told there was a problem with it. Look it up on RC10.com the page for it has been pulled too.
Gull wings on the RM or MM?
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #2568
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I know a lot of ppl where asking about how to get avid to work including myself and I found the answer ex avid guy makes a setup for $9.00 with tax shipping looking around $16.00 he's CA. Fits great test will be tomorrow and car maidan voyage
http://www.schelleracing.com/index.p...product_id=187
Rd. 2 TQ-1st--Rd. 3 3rd
Mxer59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #2569
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxer59 View Post
I know a lot of ppl where asking about how to get avid to work including myself and I found the answer ex avid guy makes a setup for $9.00 with tax shipping looking around $16.00 he's CA. Fits great test will be tomorrow and car maidan voyage
http://www.schelleracing.com/index.p...product_id=187
This is not needed. Just use the spring and nut that comes with the kit and the Triad works just fine. Have one on my mid and rear motor cars
Ryan H.
Tradin Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #2570
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
I thought that in the B5m thread mid motor went without saying
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #2571
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
Straight arms for me ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 AM   #2572
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yeah, the B5M is a true fatty... With the following my car comes in at 1520
-B4.2 Pucks sytem with B4.2 Aluminum rear hubs
-Aluminum Top Shaft
-Team Associated Ti Turnbuckles
-nearly 100% screws are Aluminum
-Trimmed Battery strap

I was about to do the Kyosho front aluminum axel hack, but after I put my buddies Serpent Spyder Mid Motor on my scale BONE STOCK with a Reedy Shorty pack it came in at 1509g and I changed my mind about the B5M. My B5M is now going to be my Mod car so I'm taking a lot of the lightweight stuff off and selling it. I picked up a Serpent Spyder MM kit today and the only lightweight things I plan on doing is replacing most the screws with aluminum screws and replacing the front axels with Aluminum Kyosho ones hacked in. I'm looking forward to seeing what it weights in at after that.

The largest culprit to the B5M being such a fatty is that Aluminum chassis plate. It's really heavy, like REALLY heavy. That's why the RM car is so much lighter. To anyone trying to get the B5M really light, I say good luck and get out your pocketbook.

Anyhow, I think the B5M will be a great Mod car. I'm looking forward to POWER...
tropmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #2573
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Straight arms for me ....
Definitely straight here too, not that there's anything wrong with gull wing arms
flybyublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #2574
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
I also took the alum bell cranks off. I can't get the screw to stay threaded on it. Keeps backing out even with thread lock. I have to think about how to make it work. For now it goes in the box.
just put a 16mm screw threw the top and put a lock nut on it works perfect if you dont want them ill buy them of you
jmanikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #2575
Tech Addict

you guys are funny...

I went to a high bite indoor track yesterday... really high traction clay... there were quite a few people practicing so it was good testing time.

there were 2 other people there with ae cars .. one a mid and other a rear. the one guy was weight obsessed like a lot of you.. he had modded the rear for the puck system, drilled out his slipper and was only using one pad system.. all alloy screws and even drilled out the plastic parts that mount to chassis. my car with just a few light parts came in 1 ounce heavier then his on the shop scale.. mine was 1/4 over min. weight and his was 3/4 under.. he kept saying but he could put the weight where he wanted that way.. ok..

on the track we were doing fun 10 lap races.. no computer... just about 5 of us lining up and saying go... well in 10 laps I lapped this guy 3 times...lol

i also tried the gullwing arms back to back with the straight arms ... tower switch was easy and the straight arms felt like they had a little slower smoother steering but i don't think its really the arms making that feel as i think its more the tower... the holes for mounting on the straight arm parts are lower and about 1 hole in from the gullwing tower.. anytime you lay your suspension in it will do the same thing. its more about changing shock angles then plastic angles on the arm. i actually preferred the feel of the gullwing setup.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #2576
Tech Elite

how big of a motor are you running in it?
b5 mid motor
vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #2577
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
you guys are funny...

I went to a high bite indoor track yesterday... really high traction clay... there were quite a few people practicing so it was good testing time.

there were 2 other people there with ae cars .. one a mid and other a rear. the one guy was weight obsessed like a lot of you.. he had modded the rear for the puck system, drilled out his slipper and was only using one pad system.. all alloy screws and even drilled out the plastic parts that mount to chassis. my car with just a few light parts came in 1 ounce heavier then his on the shop scale.. mine was 1/4 over min. weight and his was 3/4 under.. he kept saying but he could put the weight where he wanted that way.. ok..

on the track we were doing fun 10 lap races.. no computer... just about 5 of us lining up and saying go... well in 10 laps I lapped this guy 3 times...lol

i also tried the gullwing arms back to back with the straight arms ... tower switch was easy and the straight arms felt like they had a little slower smoother steering but i don't think its really the arms making that feel as i think its more the tower... the holes for mounting on the straight arm parts are lower and about 1 hole in from the gullwing tower.. anytime you lay your suspension in it will do the same thing. its more about changing shock angles then plastic angles on the arm. i actually preferred the feel of the gullwing setup.
ha, no matter how light or much money you have in the car you still have to drive it.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #2578
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6cj View Post
ha, no matter how light or much money you have in the car you still have to drive it.
Are you guys just having fun making your cars lighter or is the weight of your car keeping you from being competitive in 17.5?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #2579
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

aluminum top shafts back in stock at team associated
Micah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #2580
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18engineguy View Post
Are you guys just having fun making your cars lighter or is the weight of your car keeping you from being competitive in 17.5?
Weight in ANY form of motorsport is important. In 17.5 in the heart of the manufactures we have a minimum of 25 17.5 buggies show up for a Friday night or Sunday afternoon club race. Any and all advantages are needed to be competitive. If I have to race Sean C, Barry Baker, and Tim Tunnerman, among others I want to be as light as possible.