R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #20326
Tech Master
 
Cridd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
Do you guys have a noticable play in your B5Mlite front steering block? I observed this after a couple of batteries at the track.
Yes I have alot of play in rack and front end. Mine actually could use a rebuild but from the git go I had some play.
__________________
Chris
B6D / T5M / SC5M
Cridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #20327
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,993
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
Do you guys have a noticable play in your B5Mlite front steering block? I observed this after a couple of batteries at the track.
yep, I glued my inserts in. I look forward to NOT doing this on my b6
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #20328
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yep, I glued my inserts in. I look forward to NOT doing this on my b6
I hope so but don't be so sure. Sometimes it's not worth it or they can't fix certain things with out glue or other improvising
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #20329
Tech Master
 
Phillip F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,352
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
yep, I glued my inserts in. I look forward to NOT doing this on my b6
thanks for the tip... I glued the inserts now and it helped .
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #20330
Tech Master
 
Phillip F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,352
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
Yes I have alot of play in rack and front end. Mine actually could use a rebuild but from the git go I had some play.
kindda odd for that amount of play for a newly built kit. Design flaw?
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #20331
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Harford Co. Maryland
Posts: 659
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
Do you guys have a noticable play in your B5Mlite front steering block? I observed this after a couple of batteries at the track.
Mine is Rock Solid, all stock parts too
Scott R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #20332
Tech Champion
 
thecman26's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,753
Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
kindda odd for that amount of play for a newly built kit. Design flaw?
The steering, yep, a WELL KNOWN issue! Why else would the B6/B6D have gone away from the 2 piece front knuckles?
__________________
Chris Keen: Viola, Kansas
Kyosho RZ6, TLR 22 3.0, TLR 4.0 SR (soon),& 22T 3.0
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!", Col. Sanders
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #20333
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Initial Transmitter (MT-4) Setup for B5M Recommendations?

Hello. I am new to hobby. I purchased a used B5M Lite that has been outfitted with Savox 1257 servo (new), 17.5 Reedy Mach 3 Motor (used), JustStock Hobby Wing ESC (new). I waiting arrival of new Airtronics MT-4 Transmitter/Receiver. Car will be run on indoor high bite clay track.

Please recommend any initial settings for the Transmitter with regards to servo speed and any other transmitter set up that will help get best feel and general baseline. I have baseline set up for car at this particular track so looking for some Transmitter help.

I understand this can be subjective / personal style but any general recommendations would be appreciated that may improve overall experience and accelerate learning curve. I will not be signing up for races anytime soon. My goal is to run lots of laps to be consistent and as fast as possible.
rrwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #20334
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 91
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwj View Post
Hello. I am new to hobby. I purchased a used B5M Lite that has been outfitted with Savox 1257 servo (new), 17.5 Reedy Mach 3 Motor (used), JustStock Hobby Wing ESC (new). I waiting arrival of new Airtronics MT-4 Transmitter/Receiver. Car will be run on indoor high bite clay track.

Please recommend any initial settings for the Transmitter with regards to servo speed and any other transmitter set up that will help get best feel and general baseline. I have baseline set up for car at this particular track so looking for some Transmitter help.

I understand this can be subjective / personal style but any general recommendations would be appreciated that may improve overall experience and accelerate learning curve. I will not be signing up for races anytime soon. My goal is to run lots of laps to be consistent and as fast as possible.
I am new too, <3 months, but I have the same car and ESC, Transmitter. This is the most important thing-- "My goal is to run lots of laps to be consistent and as fast as possible."--However I would club race as soon as you feel comfortable in traffic just to get the experience. Everyone has a first time, mine was last Saturday.

As far as the MT-4, my advice isn't B5M specific. First thing is to set the steering sub-trim so your wheels are straight when you power up. The only other things I have done is to set the Throttle D/R to one of the programmable buttons, as well as the Braking D/R to another programmable buttons. This way I can turn either up or down quickly without going in the menu. Braking I like to mess with while I practice, throttle I don't too much but sometimes I turn it down for a new track and various other tuning things (diff break in). One thing with the ESC is I would turn off drag brake to start and practice without it to get used to braking on your own. THen maybe adjust after you have practiced with it off.

That's all I got but like I said I am new too, so maybe someone else has other advice.

Last edited by 40yoCaliRacer; 05-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
40yoCaliRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #20335
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwj View Post
Hello. I am new to hobby. I purchased a used B5M Lite that has been outfitted with Savox 1257 servo (new), 17.5 Reedy Mach 3 Motor (used), JustStock Hobby Wing ESC (new). I waiting arrival of new Airtronics MT-4 Transmitter/Receiver. Car will be run on indoor high bite clay track.

Please recommend any initial settings for the Transmitter with regards to servo speed and any other transmitter set up that will help get best feel and general baseline. I have baseline set up for car at this particular track so looking for some Transmitter help.

I understand this can be subjective / personal style but any general recommendations would be appreciated that may improve overall experience and accelerate learning curve. I will not be signing up for races anytime soon. My goal is to run lots of laps to be consistent and as fast as possible.
I have the factory lite that I run with a Mach 3 stock and mod and have a anny edition Mt4s and you really don't have to adjust anything on the radio except for endpoint settings for turning and throttle and of course trim settings just to make minor adjustments to make sure your car is going in a straight line on a flat even surface
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #20336
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Hi All,
With the delay of the B6d, I decided to get a B5M Factory Lite to get into off road racing (have been racing on road, and will do both) before I get a B6D next year.

I've been doing some research and reading up on this forum, but with 1356 pages its tricky to follow what people have done with the car.

Just wanted some advice on the initial build and things to look out for/change/setup differently.
So far I have looked at gluing the inserts in as per above (will run the car first), build the diff as per videos on page 1 incl sanding the discs and slipper pads then running it in, and just made sure everything was lined up properly. I havent done shocks or turnbuckles as yet, and electrics. Motor/ESC is Reedy 800z+17.5T, Sanwa MT4S radio and Savox 1258TG servo. Shorty pack batteries.
Also looking to upgrade to aluminium steering very soon!
Thanks.
__________________
Quantum RC
Team Associated B6D /// XRAY XB4 '17 /// Kyosho M3 Evolva
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #20337
Tech Regular
 
Silverstonev8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 288
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by total3d View Post
Hi All,
With the delay of the B6d, I decided to get a B5M Factory Lite to get into off road racing (have been racing on road, and will do both) before I get a B6D next year.

I've been doing some research and reading up on this forum, but with 1356 pages its tricky to follow what people have done with the car.

Just wanted some advice on the initial build and things to look out for/change/setup differently.
So far I have looked at gluing the inserts in as per above (will run the car first), build the diff as per videos on page 1 incl sanding the discs and slipper pads then running it in, and just made sure everything was lined up properly. I havent done shocks or turnbuckles as yet, and electrics. Motor/ESC is Reedy 800z+17.5T, Sanwa MT4S radio and Savox 1258TG servo. Shorty pack batteries.
Also looking to upgrade to aluminium steering very soon!
Thanks.
Use x-rings when you build the shocks
Silverstonev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:54 AM   #20338
Tech Master
 
Phillip F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,352
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
Mine is Rock Solid, all stock parts too
What's pretty odd is in the span of 2 weeks, I built 2 brand new B5M lite kits and both of them have the same slop in the caster block. Maybe it's a quality control thing or you bought it used and the former owner already addressed that issue. ....or there's a batch of kits out there with good caster blocks.
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:55 AM   #20339
Tech Master
 
Phillip F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,352
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstonev8 View Post
Use x-rings when you build the shocks
x-rings..... part number? ... and why use that instead of the stock ones?
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 AM   #20340
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Do you have a packaging date for the two kits? Our two kits were July 2015 and seem ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip F View Post
What's pretty odd is in the span of 2 weeks, I built 2 brand new B5M lite kits and both of them have the same slop in the caster block. Maybe it's a quality control thing or you bought it used and the former owner already addressed that issue. ....or there's a batch of kits out there with good caster blocks.
total3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:44 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net