R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes

Old 05-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #20206
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd2810 View Post
i don't think some of you guys get the meaning of off road.

to new schoolers it means running on anything as long as it's not in the street.

to old schoolers it means dirt, less traction, changing track conditions from heat to heat.

just becuase there is a jump or 2 doesn't make it off road. just run in your drive way then.

i used my touring car with droop screws backed off, it's short shocks redone, with a 4wd buggy body and rear offroad wing does seriously well on a 3 single, 1 double, and 1 table top indoor gray carpet track
Old 05-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #20207
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On a tight indoor clay track how much better is the B5m than the b4? Stock class.

I'm pretty new just trying to decide if I buy a B5m used or new now, or just spend less on a used b4 and then probably upgrade to the B6 later.
SuperBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #20208
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBoots View Post
On a tight indoor clay track how much better is the B5m than the b4? Stock class.

I'm pretty new just trying to decide if I buy a B5m used or new now, or just spend less on a used b4 and then probably upgrade to the B6 later.
I see no reason to get a b4. none at all. Now b5m vs b6(d)...different story. I would get the b6d. Tower currently have a coupon code going for 45 off and free shipping if you are a member. But you would need to wait until they are released. ETA? June/July. If you "need" a car right now and cant wait....I would look at the tlr 22 3.0 or a decked out B5M for around $150. I would not pay over 150 for any b5m at this point.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #20209
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there someplace that has an easy explanation of when to use gullwing front arms and tower over straight. Or B5 rear arms compared to B5m rear arms??? Thanks guys.
neu2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #20210
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1 View Post
I guess Im old school thinking. New school thinking is get it, trash it, buy another. Seems IMO folks held companies to a higher standard years ago where companies would get it right the first time. Folks excepting of a "ground breaking redesign" every year are not holding the company to a higher standard and just excepting what they give them, ie Iphone 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Its sales not "ground breaking designs". These rc cars are not rocket science, the basics will always be the basics no matter how you want to spin it, not saying your trying to spin ,just saying. IMO, AE should of been paying close attention 2 years ago to what folks wanted and were using but hey tweak this and that and double your profits. A company like AE should be on top of its game and had all its ducks in a row two years ago, not needing changes to stay in the game months later.
all kind of racing changes from day to day. Go karts come out with new models every year. Bicycles change every year, motorcycles, hot wheels, cars, airplanes, while Indy and Nascar change everyweekend. If you want to race you are changing or getting old. You can have a great product today and a behind the times tomorrow. AE has to make new products to stay around and be a company that is current and fresh...along with all the other manufacturers of everything.

I use the Jconcepts wing, have had it for two months just changed to another one.

I actually have an indoor clay car and an outdoor car. I would rather race indoor clay or if outside high bite. I raced one time outside track was so wet after I was done I felt like just throwing my car away, my kids were like this $%$ sucks. I like outdoor tracks but when they clump up especially in an SC or dirt cakes all over everything, that is not racing that is mud bogging. I can deal with dirt and dust but sometimes it gets plain stupid if they overwater or dirt is crap. I think carpet looks fun, as long as you get to have some fun. Cleaning a car is not as fun to me as driving a car but I would rather watch Nascar or Road Racing then Lucas Offroad, shame on me .

If you drive outdoors in low bite the B5R is the way to go and AE has still kept that in their aresenal.

I am happy my B5M pucks, diff, front shocks and electronics carry over, a couple hundred bucks along with titanium screws that are still good to go. I have an extra pair of Kashima ST shocks that I am giong to use for the rear of the B6.

I can't wait for the B5M to compete against some B6's at Stock Nats. Alot of people including myself moved right from the B4's to the B5's and where faster, don't know if that will be the case right away. B6 is more of a lot of little things getting better then a whole new model though most parts don't work. Bad thing for B5's now is that we won't see as many new upgrades and cool things coming out. At least we don't need new Metric tools!!
Old 05-08-2016, 02:40 AM   #20211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I got some footage of my B5M
Old 05-08-2016, 03:01 AM   #20212
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is the video footage of Team Associated Australian drivers Ray Munday & Mitchell Steer battling it out in the 3 X A main finals with there B5M CE buggies at the Victorian State Titles here in Australia, really good racing by these two great drivers.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Congratulations to Mitchell Steer on the overall win, Ray Munday on a really close second place and Chris Sturdy on 3rd

- Sam's Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/savagexsam -
savagesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:04 AM   #20213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

track looks like ablast
eper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #20214
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagesam View Post
Here is the video footage of Team Associated Australian drivers Ray Munday & Mitchell Steer battling it out in the 3 X A main finals with there B5M CE buggies at the Victorian State Titles here in Australia, really good racing by these two great drivers.

Congratulations to Mitchell Steer on the overall win, Ray Munday on a really close second place and Chris Sturdy on 3rd
What I enjoy most...racing outdoors on a great track with close friends and close competition.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #20215
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Made a set of custom steering block bushings. Bottom one is .5 mm thicker and top is .5mm thinner. Thick bottom bushing provides a little more on power steering. Material is bronze, so should be pretty durable...

ridgewaybodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #20216
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anyone use the steering stop kit on their buggies? I'm new to the hobby and curious if it is needed.
vietjdmboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #20217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Hi all, l am running a b5m with an 8.5 motor and a 78 spur for an indoor clay rack, (norcal hobbies in San Jose) what pinion would anyone recommend? I put in a 21 to start but any input would be great, thanks.
Nissanguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:50 PM   #20218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
Hi all, l am running a b5m with an 8.5 motor and a 78 spur for an indoor clay rack, (norcal hobbies in San Jose) what pinion would anyone recommend? I put in a 21 to start but any input would be great, thanks.
questions like these should be address to the fast guys there at your track. Gearing depends on the layout of the track not the surface... so only people who race there will know.
Phillip F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #20219
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks for the obvious! just looking for a pinion # just want to know if l am way off.
Nissanguy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:56 AM   #20220
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
Thanks for the obvious! just looking for a pinion # just want to know if l am way off.
Well at least he didn't say RTFM...

But the manual says 22/78, so that's a conservative start.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote