Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
feel the effects.
Ohhh, now thats quantifiable and objective.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
Ohhh, now thats quantifiable and objective.
Hey good job on cutting every portion of my post that is factual out, and leaving the part with human error to make a comment on.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Not much about engineering is factual in the end product. If it was they would have engineered the perfect car a long time ago and we could stop buying new ones over and over trying to find perfection.

Just sayin'
Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So I never said anything was wrong. I did however say the mip does move the motor when compared to the AE 4 gear.

As for using the scientific method on it, I already have. I setup all three chassis I have on hand, and measured each one for motor placement. I then ran two back to back to feel the effects. I also used scales to see if the weight bias changed Between the three transmissions back to back.
I almost edited my post last night to say "use your knowledge of physics and math to calculate" but I think the point was made.

I'm curious how old you are and what grade you're in. Have you had an actual physics class yet?

-Chris
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Hilarious...The video just shows how crazy we all are when comes to rc cars! I agree, EPIC and I'm sure the wife enjoyed you using the master bathroom sink as a testing area!!!!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Not much about engineering is factual in the end product. If it was they would have engineered the perfect car a long time ago and we could stop buying new ones over and over trying to find perfection.

Just sayin'
I get your point but there is no perfect RC car. If every track was exactly the same, with exactly the same traction level all the way around, and every driver drove exactly the same, I think an optimal chassis setup and tire compound/tread profile could be engineered without too much trouble.

But even on the same track, conditions vary on different corners or jumps. You can have huge differences in traction level and how smooth the surface is within a few feet traveled.

The interaction between a race car, RC or full size, and the track enviironment is incredibly complex. That's part of why we keep getting new cars with new adjustments and geometries. Another reason is improvements in materials and manufacturing that make the cars more durable and or easier to work on.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrueye
Hilarious...The video just shows how crazy we all are when comes to rc cars! I agree, EPIC and I'm sure the wife enjoyed you using the master bathroom sink as a testing area!!!!
You all need to chill out. Give the guy some credit I don't see anyone else, myself included trying to do any testing other than wearing out tires. This guy was curious so he gave it a shot. Pretty sad how quick everyone is to jump this guys rear for no reason.

Any who, I was wondering if anyone runs ceramic diff balls and if so what do you think?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by iScream

But even on the same track, conditions vary on different corners or jumps. You can have huge differences in traction level and how smooth the surface is within a few feet traveled.
Well said. And what works for me on a smooth clay track that has more traction than asphalt has literally no bearing on what works on an outdoor track. I just saw video of the JC super cup track, and it's like nothing we have here in AZ. So me telling people how great "XX" part performs here is really only relevant to my experiences here.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
You all need to chill out. Give the guy some credit I don't see anyone else, myself included trying to do any testing other than wearing out tires. This guy was curious so he gave it a shot. Pretty sad how quick everyone is to jump this guys rear for no reason.

Any who, I was wondering if anyone runs ceramic diff balls and if so what do you think?
For the thrust they're awesome. For the diff, it'll matter the application. If not set correctly, they can ruin a set of rings quickly. They need to be set tight, and the rings can not be polished. I have experience with 1 diff I built, and it worked well. I however have gone back to the carbide balls because the ceramics did not allow a range of adjustment in my experience.

Now cue iScream and several others to tell me I'm wrong...
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

For the thrust they're awesome. For the diff, it'll matter the application. If not set correctly, they can ruin a set of rings quickly. They need to be set tight, and the rings can not be polished. I have experience with 1 diff I built, and it worked well. I however have gone back to the carbide balls because the ceramics did not allow a range of adjustment in my experience.

Now cue iScream and several others to tell me I'm wrong...
I have actually heard that very same statement from a few bench racers at the track. So it seems like you have experience with them, even if it's not much. I built a diff with them and man it's smooth but I'm worried it's gonna blow in a couple runs. I have it set tight too.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've run them before. Risk vs. reward, they're not worth it IMO. A PROPERLY broke in diff with carbide balls in the diff and ceramics in the thrust will last months.

as for all the back and forth bickering, just knock it off....sheesh
Old 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

I have actually heard that very same statement from a few bench racers at the track. So it seems like you have experience with them, even if it's not much. I built a diff with them and man it's smooth but I'm worried it's gonna blow in a couple runs. I have it set tight too.
If it's set "tight" it's not likely to blow. Like Socket said, the issue with them is the small tuning window. That's what tends to get most people into trouble.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cautrell05
That there is exactly why sub forums were suggested and unfortunately dismissed.
Sub-forums are an excellent idea, in THEORY! Look around, people don't put stuff where it belongs now! People can't find the right section half the time let alone a correct thread, now you want/expect them to find and use a correct sub-forum. In the perfect world were you seem to be from, great idea. Here in reality where the rest of us live, we all realize it's not.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I've run them before. Risk vs. reward, they're not worth it IMO. A PROPERLY broke in diff with carbide balls in the diff and ceramics in the thrust will last months.

as for all the back and forth bickering, just knock it off....sheesh
I agree, the car diff i got off u recently is still awesome shape. I rebuilt it cause thats how I am..... using same parts and its still awesome.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vr6cj
I agree, the car diff i got off u recently is still awesome shape. I rebuilt it cause thats how I am..... using same parts and its still awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.