R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #19696
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Aluminum Bellcrank Set

Has anyone else purchased an Aluminum Bellcrank Set for there b5m or even t5m? Ive got the associated version and had to trim the servo case and chassis with a hobby knife to have enough clearance for the servo horn and ballstud. Im running a low pro savox and still had to trim. Now ive seen 3 other brands,jconcepts,rdrp,strc and every review is saying that they all bend and dont fit proper. Does anyone have any feedback??
xfbaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #19697
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfbaap View Post
Has anyone else purchased an Aluminum Bellcrank Set for there b5m or even t5m? Ive got the associated version and had to trim the servo case and chassis with a hobby knife to have enough clearance for the servo horn and ballstud. Im running a low pro savox and still had to trim. Now ive seen 3 other brands,jconcepts,rdrp,strc and every review is saying that they all bend and dont fit proper. Does anyone have any feedback??
You may have to trim the servo case depending on servo. You should not have to trim any part of the chassis. When the T5m came out people started bending/breaking them and many went back to the plastic. JConcepts stopped production on theirs to revise it but havent seen anything come out stating that its been done. Most run the plastic version with no issues.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #19698
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
You may have to trim the servo case depending on servo. You should not have to trim any part of the chassis. When the T5m came out people started bending/breaking them and many went back to the plastic. JConcepts stopped production on theirs to revise it but havent seen anything come out stating that its been done. Most run the plastic version with no issues.
OK thanks. Im j in the process of building a b5m from scratch. I just got the protek screw kit, fast eddy bearing and a prime waterfall brace. Ive heard that some bodies dont fit if you want to run a fan on the brace. I know that the jconcepts finsisher fits with no issues but I kinda like the proline phantom with the center spliter. Any idea if that would fit
xfbaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #19699
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfbaap View Post
OK thanks. Im j in the process of building a b5m from scratch. I just got the protek screw kit, fast eddy bearing and a prime waterfall brace. Ive heard that some bodies dont fit if you want to run a fan on the brace. I know that the jconcepts finsisher fits with no issues but I kinda like the proline phantom with the center spliter. Any idea if that would fit
Doubt it, but couldn't tell you. The finnisher sits the highest so thats what most use with the waterfall brace fan mount.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #19700
Tech Master

I'm just starting my B5M Lite. Any tips or things to watch out for during the build?
Airtronics|Kyosho|
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #19701
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Johnson View Post
I'm just starting my B5M Lite. Any tips or things to watch out for during the build?
I would get the caged thrust bearing just because I don't like to mess with building the kit bearing. If I were doing it again I would build it with the titanium screw kit to begin with but that only applies if you want to drop weight.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #19702
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'm in the process of updating and verifying all the links in the first page's Aftermarket section (found a few that didn't work).

If there any links you want to see for products that are not already on there, please PM me or post to the thread.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #19703
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I just finished my B5M CE a couple weeks ago. My advice on the ball cups is to use the boiling water method instead of the squeezing with plier method. I just heated up a cup of water in the microwave for a minute or two. After installing the turnbuckles to the ball cups, I put a mini screw driver head through the ball cup and just let them sit in the the water for a minute. Flipped them over to the other side and did the same. When I put them on the ball stud they moved freely. Unfortunately, I didn't do this the first time around and had to do some breakdown when my front suspension was so tight it would just stay up when I pushed it up.
40yoCaliRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #19704
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)
Default 3 gear conversion

Is there a list anywhere of what parts are needed to do it three gear conversion from a 4?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #19705
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18engineguy View Post
Is there a list anywhere of what parts are needed to do it three gear conversion from a 4?
You'll need the gear box, gear cover and motor plate for sure.. the only other thing I can think of would be the top shaft. Not sure if theyre the same or not. The CE topshaft does both.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #19706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yoCaliRacer View Post
I just finished my B5M CE a couple weeks ago. My advice on the ball cups is to use the boiling water method instead of the squeezing with plier method. I just heated up a cup of water in the microwave for a minute or two. After installing the turnbuckles to the ball cups, I put a mini screw driver head through the ball cup and just let them sit in the the water for a minute. Flipped them over to the other side and did the same. When I put them on the ball stud they moved freely. Unfortunately, I didn't do this the first time around and had to do some breakdown when my front suspension was so tight it would just stay up when I pushed it up.
The best advice on tight ballcups, is IF you get tight ballcups, email AE and they will ship you out new ones as this issue has been fixed already.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #19707
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I advise you to do the glued in caster block insert (91400) alteration even though the set scew (4670) method would be superior
Dialed-RC Hobbies
TEN-SCTE 3.0/22SCT 3.0
Keith B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #19708
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

building my first kit... b5m lite ,
after hours of contemplating between kits.... lol...
28 yrs in the hobby and this is my first kit...so should be interesting..

What are some must have upgrades? during the build?
Running mod set up, clay to hard pack dirt outdoor tracks
Thanks for the input guys !
plumber007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #19709
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You have a good car to start with. Don't get caught up with the upgrade bug until you have run a lot of laps and feel the car is holding you back.
Pville Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #19710
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber007 View Post
building my first kit... b5m lite ,
after hours of contemplating between kits.... lol...
28 yrs in the hobby and this is my first kit...so should be interesting..

What are some must have upgrades? during the build?
Running mod set up, clay to hard pack dirt outdoor tracks
Thanks for the input guys !
If running mod, build the kit to box setup. Get the correct turn motor for your layout, a few pinions for gearing tuning and most importantly the correct tire package for your track. Once you can run 10 consecutive laps without a mistake, start making changes to shave tenths off your time. Modified cars really need nothing as far as hopups go on a lite.
AZJP is offline   Reply With Quote