R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree17Likes

Old 04-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #19606
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
no use for it with the B6 coming out soon
With the YZ-2 coming out with a dirt and carpet version I would bet that associated is coming out with something soon. That seems to be the way its worked over the last 30 years or so.
Pville Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #19607
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
I'm pretty sure the chassis is the only difference between the Lite and the CE, weight wise. They both got titanium turnbuckles, aluminum front axles, and the 3 gear trans, which were not included in the original B5M kit.
Well lite chassis it is then... that must take off a lot of weight. My car is such a dang tank. My buddies lite in stock form with all reedy stuff was 1555g, mine was 1605 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Front axles too.
Mine has the blue front axles on it, but I think it came with the others as well.. I assumed the blue was lighter?

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #19608
Tech Adept

I have an aluminum front bulkhead on it.. its 15g. Anyone know what the stock plastic part weighs?? If its 10g or less the aluminum is going bye bye or in the box as a backup at least.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #19609
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Well lite chassis it is then... that must take off a lot of weight. My car is such a dang tank. My buddies lite in stock form with all reedy stuff was 1555g, mine was 1605 lol.
Associated says the Lite chassis is 26g lighter. You might want to check out your electronics. My box stock CE kit weighed in at 1573 the other day with a 4600mah shorty and the JC "finnisher" body (heavy). I'm using the Hobbywing Stock Spec 3.1 ESC which I think is significantly lighter than the Justock, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Trackstar though. I'm guessing your aluminum parts are adding some weight too.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #19610
Tech Regular

Google SLRC chassis to save weight with better quality material that is also thinner which lowers all parts a little to the ground
Finalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #19611
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalist View Post
Google SLRC chassis to save weight with better quality material that is also thinner which lowers all parts a little to the ground
The SLRC isn't bad, but the JC and the lite chassis match it performance and weight wise, at a much lower cost, and less dealing with a shady guy to do it.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #19612
Tech Adept

Yea I've pretty much decided on the factory lite chassis. You get a factory Associated chassis that way. Hard to go wrong especially for the cost. $58 on AMain.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #19613
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
The SLRC isn't bad, but the JC and the lite chassis match it performance and weight wise, at a much lower cost, and less dealing with a shady guy to do it.

I have weighed all the metal chassis available.

The JC is in no man's land. Not as heavy as the original stock but not light either. The lack of people using it and that it seems to be out of production says a lot. AND it cost $90. The SLRC cost $75. The honeycomb was just bling.

The lite chassis is heavier than the SLRC chassis by a small chunk, and is thicker and came out after the SLRC - inspired by SlRC?

The SLRC chassis is definitely the lightest of the group, uses better quality materials, and offers pre drilled holes for lay down tranny and because of the better materials used it is also thinner which lowers all components. You also don't have to cut up all your plastic chassis plates to get the flex it already has.

Options are a good thing. Weight wise you statements are incorrect and performance wise that is only relative to the user.

Sounds like you had an experience that upset you, but in all of my dealings with Sean he has been great. He's a one man boutique RC business giving us a major option where it really counts for a very fair price. American CNC'd quality milled chassis plate.
Finalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #19614
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Associated says the Lite chassis is 26g lighter. You might want to check out your electronics. My box stock CE kit weighed in at 1573 the other day with a 4600mah shorty and the JC "finnisher" body (heavy). I'm using the Hobbywing Stock Spec 3.1 ESC which I think is significantly lighter than the Justock, but I'm not sure how it compares to the Trackstar though. I'm guessing your aluminum parts are adding some weight too.
26g would be nice. I just changed my esc over to the justock. I could hold them both in separate hands and feel a weight difference so I'm sure that will help on the scale. Unless someone can tell me what the plastic bulkhead weighs vs the aluminum upgrade I'm going to get another plastic (original broke hence the aluminum) and weight both to see just because. The aluminum is supposed to be 15g, the plastic almost has to be lighter. I would like to get it between 1550-1560g. I'm thinking or hoping anyway that the lite chassis, removing some of the aluminum and a carbon fiber battery strap will do that... maybe the titanium screw kit.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #19615
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey

Quote:

The JC is in no man's land. Not as heavy as the original stock but not light either. The lack of people using it and that it seems to be out of production says a lot. AND it cost $90. The SLRC cost $75. The honeycomb was just bling.

The lite chassis is heavier than the SLRC chassis by a small chunk, and is thicker and came out after the SLRC - inspired by SlRC?

The SLRC chassis is definitely the lightest of the group, uses better quality materials, and offers pre drilled holes for lay down tranny and because of the better materials used it is also thinner which lowers all components. You also don't have to cut up all your plastic chassis plates to get the flex it already has.

Options are a good thing. Weight wise you statements are incorrect and performance wise that is only relative to the user.

Sounds like you had an experience that upset you, but in all of my dealings with Sean he has been great. He's a one man boutique RC business giving us a major option where it really counts for a very fair price. American CNC'd quality milled chassis plate.
ill also back you up on this, the SLRC chassis has been great on my buggys.. i have two setup with the chassis.

its really not that hard to get ahold of him on facebook, he responds back quickly and ships the next day etc..
Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #19616
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
26g would be nice. I just changed my esc over to the justock. I could hold them both in separate hands and feel a weight difference so I'm sure that will help on the scale. Unless someone can tell me what the plastic bulkhead weighs vs the aluminum upgrade I'm going to get another plastic (original broke hence the aluminum) and weight both to see just because. The aluminum is supposed to be 15g, the plastic almost has to be lighter. I would like to get it between 1550-1560g. I'm thinking or hoping anyway that the lite chassis, removing some of the aluminum and a carbon fiber battery strap will do that... maybe the titanium screw kit.
The kit came with 2 bulkheads in different degrees. If you still have the other one, you can weigh it and get an idea.

Whoops, no it didn't.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #19617
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
The kit came with 2 bulkheads in different degrees. If you still have the other one, you can weigh it and get an idea.

Whoops, no it didn't.
The CE kit came with both 25 and 30 degree bulkheads

But I have a spare 25 deg and just weighed it: 5.9g

Last edited by Gearhead82; 04-13-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #19618
Tech Master

Quote:

Mine has the blue front axles on it, but I think it came with the others as well.. I assumed the blue was lighter?

Does that additional 55 slow you enough to not catch the fastest guy in your race? That's like one mistake on the that rack. Maybe 2. Practice.....
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #19619
Tech Master

Quote:

Does that additional 55 grams slow you enough to not catch the fastest guy in your race? That's like one mistake on the that track. Maybe 2. Practice.....
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #19620
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:

The weight difference between the SLRC, Lite, and JC are negligible. It's never been about weight, even though some of these people seem to only focus on it; it's always been about the added flex. It's why some tape their batteries in, and why some keep a regular and a lite chassis around incase grip drops.

Search my posts in this thread; I was huge on the SLRC chassis until I realized how easy it dented and tweaked. Meanwhile, SLRC decided to ignore any instances of it happening. That was about when the Lite chassis dropped, which had the same flex the SLRC had, half the price, and much less of a headache to try to buy, as at the time the SLRC was $100 and always "6-8 weeks out".