Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bizarrefish
Hi all, sorry guys but been advised to post my questions here (hot topic in itself I know), I wonder if any of you can advise on some final specs for my B5M build?

Is it worth going low profile on the servo? My thoughts were that the weight gain might be worth it but at the same time 2wd's are lighter up front anyway and I may want that weight there for jump balance.

I was recommended Trinity LiPo's, will the squares (Full brick) fit the B5M okay? Manual states saddles or shorties only. The 6000 rating would give me some more practice time between charges.

Trinity motors also look very nice, looking at the D4, there are a couple of variants, what are the differences between the short stack and ordinary? "17.5 D4 1S Short Stack Spec Motor Maxzilla"

Lastly, the shock oil's, I was going to upgrade from out of the box as the SRDC has some killer jumps, I was thinking around 200 for the fronts and at least 400 for the rears... Muchmore racing are a good source of oil arent they?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll be out of everyone's way now :-).

Thanks, Richard
I don't have much in the way of answers for you but it looks like petitrc has several setups specifically for SDRC.

Check them out here

EDIT: Or maybe I'm dyslexic as I now see that you wrote SRDC rather than SDRC. Still worth checking the setups on peticrc though.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by iScream
I don't have much in the way of answers for you but it looks like petitrc has several setups specifically for SDRC.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm dyslexic as I now see that you wrote SRDC rather than SDRC. Still worth checking the setups on peticrc though.
No, I just type with my knuckles sorry and thanks! great help.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Enough with the chassis talk! It has gone beyond ridiculous. Any more negativity and bickering and infractions are going to start being doled out.

bizarrefish, don't worry about getting out of anyone's way. Those are the kinds of questions that are supposed to be on this thread. I can speak for a couple of them.

I've been running a standard size servo in my stock buggy with no problems. To me, light weight isn't the key. Well placed weight is. I've seen low profile servos grind up gears (mainly in 4x4 buggy) so I haven't made the switch.

Squares will work. I've been running SMC batteries for quite a while now with good success. They are substantially cheaper and I am able to talk to the owner of the company pretty easily. I trust the guy.

As far as shock oil goes, I would talk to some of the other guys at SDRC. Its a big, awesome track so there are bound to be plenty of other B5M drivers that could steer you in the right direction. I know its a generalization but typically the front runs a heavier oil than the rear.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bizarrefish
Hi all, sorry guys but been advised to post my questions here (hot topic in itself I know), I wonder if any of you can advise on some final specs for my B5M build?

Is it worth going low profile on the servo? My thoughts were that the weight gain might be worth it but at the same time 2wd's are lighter up front anyway and I may want that weight there for jump balance.

I was recommended Trinity LiPo's, will the squares (Full brick) fit the B5M okay? Manual states saddles or shorties only. The 6000 rating would give me some more practice time between charges.

Trinity motors also look very nice, looking at the D4, there are a couple of variants, what are the differences between the short stack and ordinary? "17.5 D4 1S Short Stack Spec Motor Maxzilla"

Lastly, the shock oil's, I was going to upgrade from out of the box as the SRDC has some killer jumps, I was thinking around 200 for the fronts and at least 400 for the rears... Muchmore racing are a good source of oil arent they?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll be out of everyone's way now :-).

Thanks, Richard
I read your first post and read that you wanted to start stock and quickly move to mod. As someone that wants to do the same and has extensively researched the crap out of this I just wanted to point something out. You mentioned that you wanted to use the tekin rs gen2 which only supports 8.5t and up, so I'm not sure what mod motor you may be wanting in the future, but it's something to consider. You could get the Tekin RSX which supports down to 2.5t, but it's insane that this costs more than the 1/8th scale esc's. Anyway I opted for a Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1, granted I have zero experience with this esc, but I was able to buy the esc, the program card, a 17.5t, and an 8.5t motor for less than the cost of the RSX. There are plenty of other esc's out there too, that get a lot of praise. I used to have all Tekin and I never had a bad experience, but this time around I couldn't spend Tekin money.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
I opted for a Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1, granted I have zero experience with this esc, but I was able to buy the esc, the program card, a 17.5t, and an 8.5t motor for less than the cost of the RSX. There are plenty of other esc's out there too, that get a lot of praise. I used to have all Tekin and I never had a bad experience, but this time around I couldn't spend Tekin money.
I actually like my Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 more than my Tekin RS Gen2 FWIW. It takes a little bit of thinking to get the right firmware, but once that is done, it has been a sweet ESC. I think they look better, they can handle anything you can throw at them, the brakes feel better (to me), it is a nice ESC. The PC interface isn't as nice as the Hotwire, but works fine for my needs. At less than half of the price of Tekin products, I will be using Speed Passion as my Tekin stuff ages.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
I actually like my Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 more than my Tekin RS Gen2 FWIW. It takes a little bit of thinking to get the right firmware, but once that is done, it has been a sweet ESC. I think they look better, they can handle anything you can throw at them, the brakes feel better (to me), it is a nice ESC. The PC interface isn't as nice as the Hotwire, but works fine for my needs. At less than half of the price of Tekin products, I will be using Speed Passion as my Tekin stuff ages.
Good to know. I definitely agree that it looks better, to me it's really one of the better looking esc's! It doesn't seem as user friendly with having to change firmwares just to go stock to mod, but I figure I wouldn't be doing it that often for it to matter. I'm not one to constantly make adjustments all the time anyway, once I get it set right I just leave it alone.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bizarre On the low pro servo, I think you give up too much torque even in 2wd. I use the XP 1015 and a Sanwa 94661. Sanwa is a little lighter. If your a Reedy fan they look pretty cool. I think a shorty is the way to go, the brick is real heavy but would be good on a loose track. Battery is charged between runs most of the time, have to let your motor cool anyway. I run the D4's and like them. Shock oil is easy to change so you can start with stock set up and change and test when you want. It's all fun, good luck.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Can't belive that SRS didn't have a misting system, big expense though. That place looked cool from the pictures. The tires looked insane with the clay on them. As my son gets older maybe we can head that way one year.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm running a Protek 160T low profile servo in mine at 7.4 volts and it's been great. The specs published by amain show it to be stronger than the XP 1015.

Unfortunately amain publishes dynamic torque numbers for their servos so it's hard to compare them with other brands based on the specs. But I like mine enough that I ordered another one to go in my T5M when it arrives.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

When the FT lite hits going to do a rebuild with the new chassis, and fresh plastics, can't wait to see the weigh in. I may go to a heavier and bigger battery then.

Did you guys see those pics of guys drilling holes in their parts at SRS. Crazy. When I saw that wanted to throw my 17.5 in the trash and get a 7.5. .
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iScream
I'm running a Protek 160T low profile servo in mine at 7.4 volts and it's been great. The specs published by amain show it to be stronger than the XP 1015.

Unfortunately amain publishes dynamic torque numbers for their servos so it's hard to compare them with other brands based on the specs. But I like mine enough that I ordered another one to go in my T5M when it arrives.
Specs do look good, but that is funky on the dynamic numbers, why not just do it the same way as everybody else.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
When the FT lite hits going to do a rebuild with the new chassis, and fresh plastics, can't wait to see the weigh in. I may go to a heavier and bigger battery then.

Did you guys see those pics of guys drilling holes in their parts at SRS. Crazy. When I saw that wanted to throw my 17.5 in the trash and get a 7.5. .
locals take stock racing to a new level. I have known about the outdrive drilling for a while
Old 03-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Outdrive drilling?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

just got to say great thread cant wait to get my b5
Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cautrell05
Outdrive drilling?
yeah, where the drive plates go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.