R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes

Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #19216
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
I have the CE kit and wish I had gotten the lite honestly. Seems like the shocks and all of the aluminum upgrades are just some bling you don't really need, but I could be wrong. It was already more expensive and I'm going to end up spending another $89 on the lite chassis.
I agree the CE kit and the upgrade kit are a huge waste of money. The shock bodies look cool but that's about it. If you want to make your shocks better get machined pistons and the new shafts. The new shafts with the screw on top make changing pistons easier by getting rid of the clips. The new shafts work with the silver bodies as well.

The lite chassis is not worth upgrading to in my opinion. The regular chassis works fine. I believe the CE kit was a way to get rid of the B5M kits before the new kits hit the market.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #19217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
I agree the CE kit and the upgrade kit are a huge waste of money. The shock bodies look cool but that's about it. If you want to make your shocks better get machined pistons and the new shafts. The new shafts with the screw on top make changing pistons easier by getting rid of the clips. The new shafts work with the silver bodies as well.

The lite chassis is not worth upgrading to in my opinion. The regular chassis works fine. I believe the CE kit was a way to get rid of the B5M kits before the new kits hit the market.
I have the CE and like it a lot. I bought it for $350 after tax at my local shop and got 3x free practice days (Value of $60). I don't believe they had the FL at the time and for me the difference in price isn't a big deal since I would have had to buy the FL online without the practice days. I do however see the point of the FL being plenty fine for the money. CE isn't entirely needed and definitely not needed to be competitive. I chose to buy the CE brand new because I came back after a massive lay off from the hobby.. Now that I'm back in it, I'll probably look more toward the secondary market for my next car or even a less suped up version of a new car. The hop ups are cool but when compared to the FL, the CE really only has the 2nd transmission and Fox Shocks. I still spent a ton to get the machined pistons and new shafts.. I know the popular go to is to just spend money on track time. I also know that getting stuff in the mail and putting it on the car is super fun. It's all about the attitude you have when you do it. I have the hobbywing Justock motor/esc combo. I could easily go out and buy the D4 or Mach 3 but I chose to just stick with that motor until I feel absolutely comfortable with the car and plain ole want that upgrade. I was also told to get an upgraded remote.. I opted for the Spectrum DX4C. But again I see the thrill in owning the fancy remote for a new comer. The key is to not walk around your local track with your nose in the air because you spent money on the car for fancy blue aluminum items. Buy that stuff because you truly want it and because you can afford both track time and cool stuff. It only gets annoying when the guys who have the top of line motor complain about the track conditions, not being good, marshal's being slow .. etc. They're probably the same people who never practice and just want top of the line stuff.

Plus from what I've read and seen, the Honeycomb JC chassis is a really nice option. Looks like the FL might have too much flex for some people's liking. Any comments on the difference between the two?
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #19218
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter79rs View Post
There is actually more incentive for me to buy kits from a local shop then parts. Even with conversion from USD to AUD and postage, it's still cheaper for me to buy parts from AMain with the added bonus of having the parts at my door in 6 days.

Speaking of buying kits, I just finished building a B5M Lite and had a few missing screws and o-rings. Has this been an issue with these kits, or did I just get a dud kit? Wasn't too much of an issue, just lucky enough I had spares from my other AE cars.
I've heard a few guys have a cpl small issues but my FL was seriously flawless and IMO is a great first kit for someone to build the instructions r that easy
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #19219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
I've heard a few guys have a cpl small issues but my FL was seriously flawless and IMO is a great first kit for someone to build the instructions r that easy
The instructions are great, I think I just got a bit of a lemon kit. Everything that B5M specific was there. I've got a TC5, TC6, and a SC5M, on top of my B5M, so a number of spares (mainly scews) are universal between all my cars. So the missing scews, o-ring, and washer I was missing I already had laying around.

The B5M is the first car I've built with vernier calipers, rather nice getting everything so precise and consistant.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #19220
Tech Master

TLR joins the carpet revolution along with Xray and soon to be Kyosho. The AE rumor of a a new dirt and carpet car is gaining traction.....
Old 03-24-2016, 10:25 PM   #19221
Tech Prophet

I don't know really what they can make better on the B5M.

More room on the chassis for your Esc and Receiver better Front steering hub inserts nothing else I can think of.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #19222
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
I don't know really what they can make better on the B5M.

More room on the chassis for your Esc and Receiver better Front steering hub inserts nothing else I can think of.
I know right?
Can't please everybody I guess...
Somebody always has to have the latest and greatest, if its a year or two old it needs to be improved!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #19223
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
I know right?
Can't please everybody I guess...
Somebody always has to have the latest and greatest, if its a year or two old it needs to be improved!
That pretty much sums up the RC hobby
Old 03-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #19224
Tech Initiate

I am not one to buy the latest and greatest, but was a bit sad when I heard the rumor of a new kit shortly after buying the B5M FL.

Hopefully the parts in the new kit will bolt onto the existing kits out there.
B6D|510R|7.5 Reedy
soniccj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #19225
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj5 View Post
I am not one to buy the latest and greatest, but was a bit sad when I heard the rumor of a new kit shortly after buying the B5M FL.

Hopefully the parts in the new kit will bolt onto the existing kits out there.
Really doubt a "New kit" is coming anytime soon. Rumors are just rumors, the FL is an awesome buggy! Unless your running on carpet but I am sure it would work well anyways.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #19226
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think the biggest focus will be to make the Worlds piece together car more production ready. Laydown trans, shocks on the front of the arms, revised front geometry, included gear diff, fine tuning the suspension to be able to run 16-18mm ride heights when needed.

Things like that. Don't be surprised if they go the XRay formula and have 2 cars....the current car and the carpet car. I think it would be too expensive to have all the options in one box, but who knows.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #19227
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

http://www.redrc.net/2016/03/tlr-22-...on-conversion/

I think AE is probably going to offer a conversion like this.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #19228
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is what keeps them in business. They have to keep coming with slight variations and new updates to continue their revenue streams. Losi had the XX platform a long time and in a span of 6 years had 3 updates to the 22. B4 was around forever and then they came out with b5 and b5m .. now possibly a lay down transmission kit and/or conversion set up. All comes down to what is competitive at your local area tracks and what parts work still work for the updated cars.
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #19229
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
That pretty much sums up the RC hobby
Not really. The last 2wd buggy AE released was 2003 - I'd say that over 10 year run breaks the norm.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #19230
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Not really. The last 2wd buggy AE released was 2003 - I'd say that over 10 year run breaks the norm.
negative the B5 was released a few years ago.