R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree17Likes

Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #19156
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
Really the cure for tire compound is to find one that won't cake on you. A lot of rc ers choose them from track name
cake is serious business.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #19157
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
Speaking of motors, anyone have an update on the new F1 Fantom Motors in the B5M? How are they holding up and temps/gearing?
Gearing is 69/32 and t is an awesome motor, a rocket. I haven't temped it with a gun but it seems to be well. I forgot the temp gun last time, I will take some temps next.
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #19158
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniccj5 View Post
Use the aluminum bulkhead on my B4 and bought one for my B5M before i built it. Yesterday I had a couple instances where I was certain the front end was broken after coming up short on a triple, but it was fine. This buggy can take a beating.
I love that it takes a beating and keeps on going.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #19159
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
A tip on the trackstar stuff... search ebay for those part numbers. Its usually a couple bucks more but shipping and availability is often a lot better. If you have to get something from the international warehouse or even the west warehouse (im in ohio) better not be in a hurry lol... my last order got delivered by Mr Miyagi himself on a bicycle.
I ordered some off items like tool stand, a bag, braided wire wrap, etc. after ordering it I didn't receive any notice for a week and a half. When I emailed them they said oh, sorry we forgot. The order before that they never charged my card and never shipped it, after going through the entire order process.

They are unreliable, shipping takes forever, I'm over them and have been for a while. Although I've used some motors in badgers which have worked well I am just sick of the company and their antics.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #19160
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
On the non blinky stock class.... that sounds like cheating lol. If its a stock class that generally means spec motor and stock esc from what I've gathered. So if you run timing on your esc because other guys run high $ motors, that's cheating. They spent the $ to go fast within the rules and you didn't.

As far as trackstar products go. I've ran their stuff as well as the turnigy brand from hobbyking in several cars now and haven't had one problem. Electronics are funny... one guy could have great luck while others have lousy.

I'm running the trackstar turbo esc with the matching 17.5 motor currently, but I'm going to be running an F-1 this weekend for the first time so I'm excited to see how it does.
What are u talking about I'm cheating? I said on the class sign up slip it says 2wd buggy 17.5 non-blinky exactly. Which is because the track is too small to have a mod class for any vehicle they are all non blinky next to it. For example 1/10 scale 4wd buggy 13.5T non blinky is exactly what it says! Same thing for 2wd short course it says 13.5T non blinky next to all the classes.
So how am I cheating? The classes are made not to be stock spec. So anyone not running timing is their choice and a disadvantage
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #19161
Tech Adept

Slashn, you are just doing what is allowed in your local race at your track. Each and every track have their own rules no matter what they are or what they call it. They are club races, not sanctioned ROAR events.

I think it comes down to who are following them and who are not. The lhs should enforce all rules no matter what they are. There are a lot of honest people but sadly some dis-honest people, the shop needs to determine who those few are. It shouldn't take long upon check-in or sign ups to take a look at the buggy. But in the end people who really want to cheat will continue to cheat.

But now this is getting way off topic and probably should be talked about in another thread.
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #19162
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
What are u talking about I'm cheating? I said on the class sign up slip it says 2wd buggy 17.5 non-blinky exactly. Which is because the track is too small to have a mod class for any vehicle they are all non blinky next to it. For example 1/10 scale 4wd buggy 13.5T non blinky is exactly what it says! Same thing for 2wd short course it says 13.5T non blinky next to all the classes.
So how am I cheating? The classes are made not to be stock spec. So anyone not running timing is their choice and a disadvantage
That was said before you indicated its a class that specifies it isn't a blinky class. My fault, I've just never heard of it. Most are listed 17.5 whatever stock which would indicate a stock esc setting. It sounded like you were running timing on a cheap motor in order to make it competitive with guys running better motors like the slingshot you mentioned.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #19163
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffeine357 View Post
Theres also some downsides that come with the cheap price of trackstar which is if you do need a replacement ( I never have so far) It could be months before you get one. Some of the advantage of better electronics is knowing you will be able to trade it in or get it serviced quickly. Thats why im looking at tekin or SMC for my new buggy
That's why you buy from an American warehouse. I had a DOA programming box, had a replacement in my hand in two weeks. That's counting the ship time back with the faulty unit and the ship time for the new one. I have a Turbo 120a and 17.5 new style motor and they both rip and quite a deal for $90.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #19164
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
So it's too small to have a mod class? I've been to tiny tracks and they seem to run mod classes just fine. If it's in indeed so small, then timing isn't going to help much anyway. Gear for better acceleration and rock it. Timing is only gonna help out on the top end and your probably never hitting top end.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #19165
Tech Champion

But like the mods have said, back to the B5M.
Anybody try the new ballcups?
Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #19166
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
But like the mods have said, back to the B5M.
Anybody try the new ballcups?
New or an updated version?

I had the ballcup issue and used a body reamer to make them satisfactory. I ordered new ones from Amain and ones from Amazon to compare. The ones from Amain seemed to be more recent stock and worked perfectly!
SC10
Losi SCB
Old 03-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #19167
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2much19 View Post
New or an updated version?

I had the ballcup issue and used a body reamer to make them satisfactory. I ordered new ones from Amain and ones from Amazon to compare. The ones from Amain seemed to be more recent stock and worked perfectly!
Updated, my bad.
Yeah that's what I did, and they are perfect right out of the package!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:41 PM   #19168
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Ball cups

Anyone that has experienced driving tight ball ups and then loosened or swapped out, please explain the difference you noticed on the track....?

Not looking for theoreticals and opinions like I've heard. Someone who has experienced the change personally. Heard conflicting opinions but no real world scenarios. Just loosened mine but haven't made it to the track since and would like to know before making further adjustments. Thx in advance
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #19169
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
Anyone that has experienced driving tight ball ups and then loosened or swapped out, please explain the difference you noticed on the track....?

Not looking for theoreticals and opinions like I've heard. Someone who has experienced the change personally. Heard conflicting opinions but no real world scenarios. Just loosened mine but haven't made it to the track since and would like to know before making further adjustments. Thx in advance

Everything gets looser suspension works better etc when the balls cups are free pretty much . Do you notice a difference on the track sure .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:12 AM   #19170
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
So it's too small to have a mod class? I've been to tiny tracks and they seem to run mod classes just fine. If it's in indeed so small, then timing isn't going to help much anyway. Gear for better acceleration and rock it. Timing is only gonna help out on the top end and your probably never hitting top end.
Lol please..
I Do not own this particular track nor have anything to do with the rules. I show up to have some fun that's it. The other tracks I race at that have a stock class are all 17.5 blinky. No I don't buy cheap motors I went from the Mach 2's in my cars to Mach 3's.. Never tried a track star but let's
continue on for Gods sake
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote