R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #18916
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the fantom 17.5 vs the trinity d4 17.5? Seems most people at my track run the d4 but the customization options of the fantom seem nice and they are about the same price.
I've run both a certified D4 and a fully optioned Fantom, both are good really. I did have to drop 3 pinion teeth with the Fantom compared to the d4, and it's still a little over geared on my tight tracks. For whatever reason the Fantom likes to spin (RPM), and it runs a bit cooler.

All IMO.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #18917
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbandit View Post
What are people's thoughts on front wings for 17.5? And what are thoughts on running the front wing behind the tower, or running up front with the Mike Gay mount? Just curious if it is beneficial. Not sure I am sold on the idea. Front wings were tried years ago, but went away quickly.

If your track doesn't have a high speed sweeper or plain a fast track the Front wing won't make much of a difference I think .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #18918
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been contemplating the Shapeways 3 gear LCG transmission for the B5M. Currently our indoor track is high grip ozite and everyone that has converted love the LCG tranny on that track. However our outdoor track will open in a month or so which is low/mid grip, being outdoors the heat/sun of the day changes it quite a bit.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience with the LCG tranny on low to mid grip surfaces? My thought is that a lower center of gravity is always beneficial, but the negative is that the weight is biased to the front due to this tranny. But maybe adding the Brass (C) mount would help to offset the weight bias, or other weights added. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/Rg4Jlid5dFo
Steve Aldous
Gigasipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #18919
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm confused at how cut gears work. Some of them look like they are literally half the size of the normal gear. How do they fit in the gear box? is there another gear box you need to buy? if there are links to other threads please let me know.
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #18920
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks213x View Post
I'm confused at how cut gears work. Some of them look like they are literally half the size of the normal gear. How do they fit in the gear box? is there another gear box you need to buy? if there are links to other threads please let me know.
The gear part of the idler is the only thing that's cut...it still has the portion that the bearings ride in to center it. The diff is centered by the outdrives, not the gear.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #18921
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 486 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisNyholm View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the fantom 17.5 vs the trinity d4 17.5? Seems most people at my track run the d4 but the customization options of the fantom seem nice and they are about the same price.
I love the D4 motors but the new Fantom is blazing fast. I have a bunch on the way. They sponsor my friend and his regular motors with Fantom prospec rotors are super fast. The 17.5 is on par with a Hobbywing Bandit 17.5 which is a full blown outlaw cheater.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #18922
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigasipke View Post
I have been contemplating the Shapeways 3 gear LCG transmission for the B5M. Currently our indoor track is high grip ozite and everyone that has converted love the LCG tranny on that track. However our outdoor track will open in a month or so which is low/mid grip, being outdoors the heat/sun of the day changes it quite a bit.

So I am wondering if anyone has experience with the LCG tranny on low to mid grip surfaces? My thought is that a lower center of gravity is always beneficial, but the negative is that the weight is biased to the front due to this tranny. But maybe adding the Brass (C) mount would help to offset the weight bias, or other weights added. Thanks.
Please send a link to the lcg trans that works well and what performance/installation to expect from the lcg trans since I run on super high grip carpet
Thanks guys
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #18923
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
The gear part of the idler is the only thing that's cut...it still has the portion that the bearings ride in to center it. The diff is centered by the outdrives, not the gear.
Cool. My friend has a set of cut gears not set up in the gearbox yet so I saw what you mean. Thanks again!
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #18924
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
Please send a link to the lcg trans that works well and what performance/installation to expect from the lcg trans since I run on super high grip carpet
Thanks guys
its like 60 bucks all in, mine took just under 2 weeks to print/ arrive (ships from NYC, Im on the west coast). note that unless you route your motor wires around the sides of the chassis, you will be double sided taping/velcroing your battery in, so you might not *need* the third part (battery strap). YMMV

also youll need to dremel a section of the stock motor plate off, so be prepared, and youre supposed to drill out/counter sink two additional holes in the chassis for the new case, but a lot of people arent doin it, so I hve heard. check all the pics for each part on shapeways

i took almost a full second off of my lap times; you can definitely carry a ton more corner speed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It uses a slightly modded motor plate from the 3 gear B5M gearbox. Top shaft and bearings (5x10x4) need to be also from a Factory Lite.

You will need
1) Left gearbox: http://shpws.me/KqJk,
2)Right gearbox: http://shpws.me/KqJj
3) chassis+battery strap: http://shpws.me/Ixf9 .

Chassis strap and battery strap are the same from the 4 gear LCG gearbox.
shdwboxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:25 AM   #18925
Tech Regular

I have the ACRC (Shapeways) 3 gear lcg trans in my car and love it. My track can go from super tacky to kinda dried out, and it still works very well either way. Plan B is working on a carbon motor plate designed specifically for the ACRC box, so that's an option instead of hacking up your standard motor plate.

Also, I saw on Facebook whoever was running the AE page replied to a comment about offering a laydown box. They said "we will have something for you that will change the game." So hopefully that happens soon lol.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:23 AM   #18926
Tech Regular

Thanks very much guys I'm now very interested!
I barely use Facebook at all maybe once a month for the past couple years so I don't fully understand how to join groups etc.
I would really like to also join a group of Detroit area racers such as larrys rc, clubhouse and dirt burners but i can't figure it out for the life of me lol
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #18927
Tech Addict

What's a good starting point for gear diff on a dusty rough outdoor track? thanks in advance
cripplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #18928
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher View Post
I have the ACRC (Shapeways) 3 gear lcg trans in my car and love it. My track can go from super tacky to kinda dried out, and it still works very well either way. Plan B is working on a carbon motor plate designed specifically for the ACRC box, so that's an option instead of hacking up your standard motor plate.

Also, I saw on Facebook whoever was running the AE page replied to a comment about offering a laydown box. They said "we will have something for you that will change the game." So hopefully that happens soon lol.
I just bought a carbon fiber one and cut it, came out great!
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #18929
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
Thanks very much guys I'm now very interested!
I barely use Facebook at all maybe once a month for the past couple years so I don't fully understand how to join groups etc.
I would really like to also join a group of Detroit area racers such as larrys rc, clubhouse and dirt burners but i can't figure it out for the life of me lol
I don't have Facebook but I jump on by fiancÚs every now and again. Just search for a group and either hit the join or friend button. That should get you into it.
SC10
Losi SCB
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #18930
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher View Post
I saw that too
_danimal_ is offline   Reply With Quote