R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #18886
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
Whats the advantage if any to the aluminum rear hub? I Just picked them up because the LFS didn't have the standard in stock and.... A Main.... is taking their merry time on my order.
Well. . . I can tell you that I broke one of the little rectangular plastic camber inserts on my rear hub a couple weeks ago. It seems like somewhat of a weak spot. The aluminum ones get rid of that whole tab/insert system so that's a plus in my book. I've been considering getting the aluminum hubs for that reason but one of the guys at the track gave me his old set of plastic hubs so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

I think they also give you more adjustment options.

Did you find them locally? Asking because I know you race at the same track as I do but I haven't found any local shops that carry ANYTHING for the B5M let alone upgraded parts! Unless they happened to have them at the little shop at the track.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #18887
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Well. . . I can tell you that I broke one of the little rectangular plastic camber inserts on my rear hub a couple weeks ago. It seems like somewhat of a weak spot. The aluminum ones get rid of that whole tab/insert system so that's a plus in my book. I've been considering getting the aluminum hubs for that reason but one of the guys at the track gave me his old set of plastic hubs so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Did you find them locally? Asking because I know you race at the same track as I do but I haven't found any local shops that carry ANYTHING for the B5M let alone upgraded parts! Unless they happened to have them at the little shop at the track.
Those plastic inserts broke on me 3 times over the course of 3 nights of racing. It was extremely frustrating. I think some people just get lucky and don't break them. ATM I would highly recommend the aluminum hubs. I got the AE ones but Schelle Racing also makes them. I wanted the Schelle ones but my shot only had the AE in stock. The only issue with the AE is if you break the ballstud off in it and can't get it out, you'll have to toss the whole hub. If you break a ball stud in the Schelle ones, you'll just have to replace that part and not the whole thing.
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #18888
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

For you guys breaking the inserts off in the plastic hubs...are you using a washer on the plastic side and nut to better secure it all?

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #18889
Tech Elite

Quote:
Whats the advantage if any to the aluminum rear hub? I Just picked them up because the LFS didn't have the standard in stock and.... A Main.... is taking their merry time on my order.
Quote:

The aluminium hubs are "stronger" but give more fine adjustments over roll center at the hub end. Personally I still use the stock plastic hubs with a metal washer over the plastic side to help with the pulling through problem.
I think there are better aluminum hub options than the Associated ones because breaking a ball stuff off in that is just a plain ol' nightmare.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #18890
Tech Fanatic

Mason are you running 22/78? With good results
Dialed-RC Hobbies
TEN-SCTE 3.0/22SCT 3.0
Keith B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #18891
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
For you guys breaking the inserts off in the plastic hubs...are you using a washer on the plastic side and nut to better secure it all?
No I didn't think of that, but that's a good idea. Thanks! I see the benefit of the washer but what's the benefit of the extra nut? Do you put it on the aluminum side just for extra security?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #18892
Super Moderator

Quote:
No I didn't think of that, but that's a good idea. Thanks! I see the benefit of the washer but what's the benefit of the extra nut? Do you put it on the aluminum side just for extra security?
Correct. The initial B5m didn't include this but I think the lite started coming with a longer ball stud and washer/nut.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #18893
Tech Prophet

Ive never broken the plastic Rear hubs but have broken one of them inserts duded to the ball stud being to short. Used a longer one and a washer/nut and its been fine.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #18894
Tech Adept

Quote:
Correct. The initial B5m didn't include this but I think the lite started coming with a longer ball stud and washer/nut.
Interesting. I have the Champions Edition and it doesn't come with the washer, nut, or longer ball stud. Doesn't show it in the manual either. But I looked up the Lite manual and it shows the updated setup. Seems like they should have included the updated hardware with the CE since it was released after the Lite (afaik).
Old 03-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #18895
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Interesting. I have the Champions Edition and it doesn't come with the washer, nut, or longer ball stud. Doesn't show it in the manual either. But I looked up the Lite manual and it shows the updated setup. Seems like they should have included the updated hardware with the CE since it was released after the Lite (afaik).
Yeah. The more I see the more was left out of the CE. there's no doubt the CE was a reboxed original b5m kit just by looking at the pre cut open bags... Would have been nice to have included all updates... This is another to add to my list of things that were not up to par with the FL kit
Silverstonev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #18896
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:

Grandview hobbies... he had several sets of aluminum hubs and TONS of b5m stuff.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #18897
Tech Adept

Quote:
Grandview hobbies... he had several sets of aluminum hubs and TONS of b5m stuff.
Sweet! I didn't even know that shop existed. I'll have to check them out soon. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2016, 06:33 PM   #18898
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstonev8 View Post
Yeah. The more I see the more was left out of the CE. there's no doubt the CE was a reboxed original b5m kit just by looking at the pre cut open bags... Would have been nice to have included all updates... This is another to add to my list of things that were not up to par with the FL kit
That's exactly what the CE kit is.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #18899
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
That's exactly what the CE kit is.
I knew that before buying it. I just wish it was a little more up to date. It wouldn't have been too hard to include everything required to get it up to the FL level...
Silverstonev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #18900
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

If I upgraded to ceramic bearings would I notice any speed difference? 17.5 / carpet track