R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 03-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #18796
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC8390 View Post
So I'm guessing the AE lite chassis is really where it's at then? Especially for the $...
YGPM
hasntaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #18797

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Volition, large, bumpy, dirt tracks are probably one of the toughest places to run a 2wd buggy. I think you need to make a effort to switch your 4wd thinking off when switching classes (I know, it's tough to do). My personal opinion is that if someone tells you the servo is too fast and should be slowed down, it is a bandaid for another issue. The VAST majority of folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 0.08 and 0.07. I'm assuming you have been in contact with Ray Munday about the Australia setups? That dude knows his stuff!
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #18798
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
So I'm guessing the AE lite chassis is really where it's at then? Especially for the $...
If you're running stock, the JC chassis or the lite is the way to go. The lite chassis has noticeable amount of flex when on the car and twisted by hand. It also has a different feel on the track. It's even more noticeable when on high grip tracks. I liked the lite chassis in mod for our outdoor bumpy loose tracks. If I was running stock on a high bite indoor track is get the JC chassis. Weight savings and less flex. If you need to save a few bucks get the lite. However, trying to save money AND be a competitive racer... very difficult.

If you're just getting used to evrything, stay with what ya got for a while and learn the car. Clean consistent laps mean more than any chassis, pucks, or ceramic bearings!!!

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #18799
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
If you're running stock, the JC chassis or the lite is the way to go. The lite chassis has noticeable amount of flex when on the car and twisted by hand. It also has a different feel on the track. It's even more noticeable when on high grip tracks. I liked the lite chassis in mod for our outdoor bumpy loose tracks. If I was running stock on a high bite indoor track is get the JC chassis. Weight savings and less flex. If you need to save a few bucks get the lite. However, trying to save money AND be a competitive racer... very difficult.

If you're just getting used to evrything, stay with what ya got for a while and learn the car. Clean consistent laps mean more than any chassis, pucks, or ceramic bearings!!!
Right.. my fast lap is usually slower than guys 3-4 positions below me... but I ran the entire program last Friday without being marshaled.

RC10 B5M CE
Fantom| HobbyWing| Savox| Turnigy| JConcepts
JC8390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #18800
Tech Regular

Quote:
Right...I'm running a 32. I went to a 30 and it lost its bottom end. I could almost instantly tell I didn't like it.
You never said which motor, gearing can be very different from brand to brand.
You said the esc was Turnigy. If you're running the Trackstar 17.5 V2 then you need to try a 34T pinion.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #18801
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Light weight conversion kit

Found a new light weight conversion kit..... TLR 22 3.0 1539 with nothing light weight added. I have both AE and TLR and was surprised the weight difference between the two. both drive great, not trying to start a debate was just sharing how surprised i was at the weight comparison.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #18802
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
Found a new light weight conversion kit..... TLR 22 3.0 1539 with nothing light weight added. I have both AE and TLR and was surprised the weight difference between the two. both drive great, not trying to start a debate was just sharing how surprised i was at the weight comparison.
What running gear in the 3.0? I've haven't seen a stock 3.0 on the scale be that light. FYI, Xray carpet car I saw was a pig as well at pushing almost 1600g with a short servo.

My FT lite with a puck system, Avid slipper, standard 6040 Spektrum servo, Orion esc w/fan, Fantom Motor, and a 4200mah battery taped in is under 1500g. I have 2 nickles, yes nickles, taped to the battery to make weight. And that's running AKA 2.2 rims with JC tires

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #18803
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Obviously it depends on the electronics/battery you're running, but I think the B5M Lite comes in right around that weight too.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #18804
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone in this thread for the help.. especially the ones that got themselves banned for a bit trying to help lol. Good to have people that want to help that much.

I have an F1 motor on the way, cut gears from speedy RC and the JC chassis..along with some other replacement parts to keep her in good order, some soft springs and some protec tire sauce. More than $100 lol but oh well. I may try the MIP stuff later on.

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #18805
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
You never said which motor, gearing can be very different from brand to brand.
You said the esc was Turnigy. If you're running the Trackstar 17.5 V2 then you need to try a 34T pinion.
Yep, that's the motor... what would a 34 vs a 32 do for it? Its somewhat mute as I have another motor coming.. but I may not get it in time for this weekend..

RC10 B5M CE
Old 03-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #18806
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
What running gear in the 3.0? I've haven't seen a stock 3.0 on the scale be that light. FYI, Xray carpet car I saw was a pig as well at pushing almost 1600g with a short servo.

My FT lite with a puck system, Avid slipper, standard 6040 Spektrum servo, Orion esc w/fan, Fantom Motor, and a 4200mah battery taped in is under 1500g. I have 2 nickles, yes nickles, taped to the battery to make weight. And that's running AKA 2.2 rims with JC tires
i am running a tekin rsx furtaba receiver spektrum servo tekin motor orion 4500 shorty. Just holding it i thought it felt lighter so i threw it on the scale and was impressed.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #18807
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yep, that's the motor... what would a 34 vs a 32 do for it? Its somewhat mute as I have another motor coming.. but I may not get it in time for this weekend..
The extra gear adds a lot of bottom end and mid range punch, even though bicycle physics that we learned as kid tells us it should be the opposite. The original Novak SS motors were like that too. With a 34T pinion and 43 degrees timing on the can, I get all the rip that was missing and it comes off the track @130F after a 5 min race and uses roughly 1150 mah.

I'm running the same motor and it felt soft with 29~32T pinions that all my friends were running on the same track with D4 1S or R1 motors. Now I run comfortably in the middle of the A-main.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #18808
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
i am running a tekin rsx furtaba receiver spektrum servo tekin motor orion 4500 shorty. Just holding it i thought it felt lighter so i threw it on the scale and was impressed.
I'll add that a clean wiring job takes weight off too. Many of my locals need to learn how to eliminate the "spaghetti bowl"

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #18809
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
I'll add that a clean wiring job takes weight off too. Many of my locals need to learn how to eliminate the "spaghetti bowl"
Just curious. . . do you shorten your servo/transponder wires? I just have mine coiled right now. I'd like to have everything neat and tidy with the perfect length of wire but not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #18810
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Volition, large, bumpy, dirt tracks are probably one of the toughest places to run a 2wd buggy. I think you need to make a effort to switch your 4wd thinking off when switching classes (I know, it's tough to do). My personal opinion is that if someone tells you the servo is too fast and should be slowed down, it is a bandaid for another issue. The VAST majority of folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 0.08 and 0.07. I'm assuming you have been in contact with Ray Munday about the Australia setups? That dude knows his stuff!
Yeah, I use Ray's setups. He is based at my track so I'm confident with my setups. My initial instinct was that it had nothing to do with the servo change, just mere coincidence.

My thinking is yes it's a driving style issue. I'm driving my 4wd really nicely, I think it has affected my 2wd driving. I'm just going to have to work out how I can swap between the 2 classes effectively. I've made a decision to only use 2wd for practice at the moment. Till I'm happy with it again. Problem is, I don't get a chance to do much practice. Glad to hear that you think it's not a servo speed thing.

Since starting RC I've noticed it can be such small things that can effect these cars. Diffs not set right, front toe slightly out, small changes in weight distribution.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote