Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
It took 10 years to get from the B4 to the B5 - and you guys think a B6 will come within 2 of the B5?

I'll assume none of you guys work in product production, but producing molded plastic isn't cheap, at all. The molds themselves are custom one-off CNC machined. They are VERY expensive, and it takes some time to get your money back on them before you make a large redesign.

Sure, I bet you'd see a ".1" series within the next year or two, but it's hardly going to be earth shattering. The next year will be filled with special edition models to help sales flood the market and recover costs plus profits on the current design. I'd even bet theirs a legit "factory team" model at some point, but don't hold your breath waiting.
The market and the rc scene has changed too much since the ten year old B4 platform. Today AE is competing with more than just a couple other companies. Not saying i am 100% on but from what i am seeing and hearing i feel pretty confident something new is in the works.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BRSracing
The market and the rc scene has changed too much since the ten year old B4 platform. Today AE is competing with more than just a couple other companies. Not saying i am 100% on but from what i am seeing and hearing i feel pretty confident something new is in the works.
What is there left to prove? This stuff is like computers - the wheel never stops turning for development. However, it's also about profits and winning.

They won the worlds against all of the publicly available specialty cars. Kody is a DAMN sharp engineer for 1/10th scale, and that laydown car was spectacular.

Basic business 101 says that you want to turn a profit before you spend tons of cash to build a new model. AE is not being beat at a high level because of the car - the factory won't let that happen. That doesn't mean turning out new publicly available cars, it means turning out custom needed parts to make sure they win. CNCing a few delrin parts for your factory drivers is cheap compared to making molds and making it publicly available.

The b5m is not being beat because it's an inferior car. They get beat by better drivers and cars on par with them.

Yokomo, Losi, Xray, HB etc can turn out a new car every month - they won't beat AE because their car is better, they can win if their car is on par AND their drivers are better.

This hobby is STILL 90% driver, and 10% car. Hell, we saw what many called an inferior car the 22 2.0 was win SEVERAL times because their top drivers are DAMN fast.

For some reason though, at the lower level that you and I are at, racers are convinced the car somehow holds them back, and we need the newest and greatest car and parts to win. It's consumerism being 100% effective in the market.

AE is doing it right - new car when it's absolutely needed (switch to mid motor..) and then refining from there. I think they're doing is better also because they recognized the HUGE 17.5 market in the USA, and turned out the Lite car.

Look at brands like Xray - smart guys, but completely missed the ball on a capable car for 17.5 market. (no smaller spur gears..). Look at yokomo - they've actually gone backwards in a sorts. Dropped a new car with the motor very far forward, only to develop a 3 gear a full year AFTER AE made one for their drivers on dirt surfaces.

Bottomline - is there a specific need for a "b6"? Sure, there always will be when the next generation of refined mid motor cars make the B5m behind - but that time isn't now.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

what is everyones thought on a laydwon/LCG transmission? Ive almost got enough spare parts to build a laydown transmission car or i can just rebuild the car i have now. seems like there area few companies making the parts for the conversion and they look very nice.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

You post highlights what I am saying:
1: the car they won with at the worlds is not available to the public
2: the only car they make right now is the lite car, which when it was released was advertised as being best for stock racing (so no car for mod?) The lite chassis does not work well at all in mod and no mod drivers use it around here.
3: several tracks are switching to carpet and the B5 is not designed for carpet, or they would have used it at the worlds as is.
4: Consumers will not spend 300 on a car and then another 100-200 to make it work for their needs such as carpet.
5: Xray and Durango have carpet and dirt cars because that is the direction the industry is headed.
Team associated realized how far behind they were at the worlds last year. The B44 could not compete in the hands of the worlds best drivers and the B5 was far from a B5 that the public can buy. So actually they are behind schedule if you ask me. Like it or not carpet racing is here to stay and more tracks will convert as its popularity grows. I have never been fond of carpet but it is what it is. Rear motor is dead and the need for a rear motor and mid motor car is in the past. The now is a carpet and dirt car. Time will tell either way makes for good conversation.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TJ9017
what is everyones thought on a laydwon/LCG transmission? Ive almost got enough spare parts to build a laydown transmission car or i can just rebuild the car i have now. seems like there area few companies making the parts for the conversion and they look very nice.
Basic physics.

More corner speed as the expense of forward bite. However, there are more parts to the equation that need to be answered before a true response could be made.

What surface are you on?

How far off the lead guys are you? 1/10ths of a second, or several seconds a lap?

How good is your throttle control?

What class are you racing?

What weight and balance are you at now?

Are you saucing, and how much grip does the car have after a 5 minute run when the sauce is gone and the tire is hot?
Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Suspended

2: the only car they make right now is the lite car, which when it was released was advertised as being best for stock racing (so no car for mod?) The lite chassis does not work well at all in mod and no mod drivers use it around here.
1. - so what?

2. That's subjective. I loved the lite chassis in mod.

3: several tracks are switching to carpet and the B5 is not designed for carpet, or they would have used it at the worlds as is.
4: Consumers will not spend 300 on a car and then another 100-200 to make it work for their needs such as carpet.
3. Cite please - currently in the USA, majority tracks are still dirt
4. Yes they will - look at all the laydown trannies out - they sell because there is a need

5: Xray and Durango have carpet and dirt cars because that is the direction the industry is headed.
If this were true, Losi would have rolled a carpet car when the 3.0 came out. They saw the risk vs reward as did AE, and ignored the small carpet market.

Team associated realized how far behind they were at the worlds last year. The B44 could not compete in the hands of the worlds best drivers
We're talking about 2wd cars, not a 15 year old 4wd design

and the B5 was far from a B5 that the public can buy. So actually they are behind schedule if you ask me. Like it or not carpet racing is here to stay and more tracks will convert as its popularity grows. I have never been fond of carpet but it is what it is. Rear motor is dead and the need for a rear motor and mid motor car is in the past. The now is a carpet and dirt car. Time will tell either way makes for good conversation.
All subjective. Who cares if they run a prototype car? Their original stealth 1990 car masami dominated with never came to market.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Im on a clay surface that has very good grip. i run mod class and id say im around back of the A guy. I just use liquid wrench for sauce and i think my car gets better as the run goes on.

Basic physics.

More corner speed as the expense of forward bite. However, there are more parts to the equation that need to be answered before a true response could be made.

What surface are you on?

How far off the lead guys are you? 1/10ths of a second, or several seconds a lap?

How good is your throttle control?

What class are you racing?

What weight and balance are you at now?

Are you saucing, and how much grip does the car have after a 5 minute run when the sauce is gone and the tire is hot?
Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Team associated realized how far behind they were at the worlds last year. The B44 could not compete in the hands of the worlds best drivers and the B5 was far from a B5 that the public can buy. So actually they are behind schedule if you ask me. Like it or not carpet racing is here to stay and more tracks will convert as its popularity grows. I have never been fond of carpet but it is what it is. Rear motor is dead and the need for a rear motor and mid motor car is in the past. The now is a carpet and dirt car. Time will tell either way makes for good conversation.

Lol you don't need to do a ton of tuning to get the B5M to work on carpet all i did was switch to 3 gear mid and lowered the ride height to 22mm , different tires and it handled fine and fast ran into the top of the field.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TJ9017
Im on a clay surface that has very good grip. i run mod class and id say im around back of the A guy. I just use liquid wrench for sauce and i think my car gets better as the run goes on.
I know some guys that use it on high grip clay. They love it, but their line did change a bit. In modified, I'd bet a laydown car with a well adjusted slipper could be competitive. Your corner speed will come up, but depending on your competition it may be negated, as you can only go as fast as the car blocking you. Gil Losi Jr had an excellent explanation on his AKA podcast about comparing two vastly different cars when it comes to a single track and racing line.

I tell everyone, try it, see if you like it. Also, if you won't answer all of my questions, don't even bother replying.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Your saying the B5 is the top of the class because it won the worlds, which is not true. That would be like saying the the Toyota Camry at my local dealership was used by Denny Hamlin to win Daytona last week. That's one thing about RC racing that annoys me is how uneducated people see a car win a big race and think it must be the best car on the market when actually its not on the market.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Suspended

Your saying the B5 is the top of the class because it won the worlds, which is not true. That would be like saying the the Toyota Camry at my local dealership was used by Denny Hamlin to win Daytona last week. That's one thing about RC racing that annoys me is how uneducated people see a car win a big race and think it must be the best car on the market when actually its not on the market.
Read my post. I eluded to two different facts:

At the pro level, the B5 is not holding back the pro drivers, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. It's cheaper for a company to make 1 off parts for a 1 off race to win. Why develop a whole new car, it's cost prohibitive.

At the local level, the B5 is not holding back a local driver, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. Sure, if sales dip, then they will throw out the newest hottest thing to spur the market. Right now from my peon perspective, the B5 is still the most popular car built. So much so, some companies literally only stay in business to develop parts for it, and it alone.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Lol you don't need to do a ton of tuning to get the B5M to work on carpet all i did was switch to 3 gear mid and lowered the ride height to 22mm , different tires and it handled fine and fast ran into the top of the field.
Shhhhhh don't tell people that, they need to believe they need a carpet car with a lay down transmission.

I agree with what you are saying and believe 95% of the racing community would do just as well without the new transmission.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Read my post. I eluded to two different facts:

At the pro level, the B5 is not holding back the pro drivers, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. It's cheaper for a company to make 1 off parts for a 1 off race to win. Why develop a whole new car, it's cost prohibitive.

At the local level, the B5 is not holding back a local driver, thus making zero need for them to develop a whole new car. Sure, if sales dip, then they will throw out the newest hottest thing to spur the market. Right now from my peon perspective, the B5 is still the most popular car built. So much so, some companies literally only stay in business to develop parts for it, and it alone.
I agree with you on most all things you are saying..... we will pick the conversation up when the new cars drop
Old 02-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Shhhhhh don't tell people that, they need to believe they need a carpet car with a lay down transmission.

I agree with what you are saying and believe 95% of the racing community would do just as well without the new transmission.

Lol well its there money not my. But on the carpet track i race on at times its far from high grip its constant Med grip when the heat is turn on its warn Ozlite carpet the fiber kind so it feels like your running on a Med grip clay track.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Carpet, here in the US, seems to be a regional thing. I'm unaware of any carpet offroad here in SOCAL. This might be the biggest single market in the US....I've seen video of many European carpet tracks and it hardly seems like offroad to me. I think that carpet is a fad here but not overseas. I have a hard time believing that they are going to replace the B5M....they're probably going to offer a different tranny and a new 5 series 4x4. As much as I've learned to love my new XRay cars, I'm still racing a B5M. If the B5 series was a flop I could see them replacing it, but on the contrary, its huge success. There's no way they are going to spend the money to re-tool and come out with a new car. Since the new line of cars is so durable it seems to be that they will continue to come with new option parts and accessories.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.