R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 02-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #18316
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeez View Post
Ok I stumped and looking for ideas I have a brand new b5m lite build to the factory spec setup. With my setup wheels on the camber on one side of the front is way off from the other. At 23.5 mm in between the cups one side is at -1 camber and the other is at -6. Even without measuring the camber there is a visible difference to know something is wrong. I have checked everything I know including the length if the turnbuckles(steering, and camber) the caster block is spaced correctly and has the correct caster insert. All of the ball studs are in the correct place with the correct washers. The shocks are in the correct place,middle on top outer hole on arm and shock collars have bean measured to be equal on both sides. I have even diss-connected the entire front clip to see if maybe the chassis was tweaked, and I could still see this huge camber difference by eye. I have swapped the setup wheels side to side, and used rim with no tires too see if they are to blame. In order to have 1mm camber on this side I need to have the length in between the ball ups at 24.5. Has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas?
Is the chassis level with the surface side to side? If the ride height is slightly higher on one side, you could induce enough camber gain to have a difference between sides.
MX304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #18317
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX304 View Post
Is the chassis level with the surface side to side? If the ride height is slightly higher on one side, you could induce enough camber gain to have a difference between sides.
Also double check that you put the same caster inserts in the front hubs. Along with the trailing arm pills are equal on both sides are installed correctly ( make sure there wasn't any flashing to keep them from sitting flush, if you didnt glue them in there?)... Let us know.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #18318
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Just by eyeball mine seem a little off too. I guess I should buy a camber gauge...
Yes!
A camber gauge should be one of the first set-up tools a guy should buy!
I never even go by the manual recommendations when building camber links.
I always shoot a lil black grease in the end, get the turnbuckle started and run it in a certain amount of turns, then do the same for the other end. When the kit is built I throw some tires on and get out the camber gauge and set them to my usual settings for the track (usually -1* up front and -1.5* to -2* in the rear). The manual settings are merely a suggestion and shouldn't be the set in stone setting as they will be way off!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #18319
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I did check the trailing arm pills, and caster inserts. I wasn't really going to stay with the kit settings for camber anyway but everything should be even side to side or close enough that you can't eye it. I use the de racing setup wheels on a glass table to measure the camber so the readings should be accurate enough. But at this point I feel like I checked every thing. Any other ideas?
DirtyDeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #18320

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Is your trim set correctly? If your front tires are turned even slightly your camber as measured to the surface will change. You have to check the front camber with the car and radio on and steering centered dead-nuts.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #18321
Tech Apprentice

Good tip, but I definetly measure with everything on and centered. I do notice the steering block has a lot of up and down play within the caster block, especially compared to the fit on my b5r. I took the entire front clip off of my b5r and bolted it up to the chassis of the b5m lite and did not have this issue, so I think the chassis is straight. I would really hate to just buy all the plastic on the front and replace when it's brand new
Old 02-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #18322
Tech Addict

Are there 2 different length rod ends in the kit? Would measure the samesame between thethe rod ends butbut be longer/shorter between the balls.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #18323
Tech Apprentice

I checked and the cups are the same with the total turnbuckle length being 76mm.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #18324
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
I checked and the cups are the same with the total turnbuckle length being 76mm.
Upload a picture if you can. It will help troubleshoot.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #18325
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Wow and I thought my OCD was bad... I'd just set the camber and go.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #18326
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
Is your trim set correctly? If your front tires are turned even slightly your camber as measured to the surface will change. You have to check the front camber with the car and radio on and steering centered dead-nuts.
This is a must to have the radio on and steering centered....
youngrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #18327
Tech Apprentice

Ok I just swapped the front shocked left to right and now it seems like everything is ok as both are around 3 degrees so I can adjust from there. I still don't know what was wrong but at least I know the chassis isn't tweaked. I'm not really super OCD about cause at leAst I don't feel that you can ever set thing 100% the same left to right but it should be close. This was so far off before that I knew it would never be close. it it's just that if the something isn't right I know I will just be chasing a setup and it's easier to find out now versus after running it. Thanks to all who responded as it was all good stuff to check.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #18328
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok I just swapped the front shocked left to right and now it seems like everything is ok as both are around 3 degrees so I can adjust from there. I still don't know what was wrong but at least I know the chassis isn't tweaked. I'm not really super OCD about cause at leAst I don't feel that you can ever set thing 100% the same left to right but it should be close. This was so far off before that I knew it would never be close. it it's just that if the something isn't right I know I will just be chasing a setup and it's easier to find out now versus after running it. Thanks to all who responded as it was all good stuff to check.
I'm trying to understand how swapping the shocks would affect it at all? From your post I started measuring my car and noticed some differences left to right. I do know I had a hard time screwing the ends onto the pistons so I doubt they are even.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #18329
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have some questions guys I will be running on a hard packed indoor smooth clay dirt mixture track it usually stays damp I am just a mid pack driver which car would be better for me a MM or RM car.
Tas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 PM   #18330
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Yes!
A camber gauge should be one of the first set-up tools a guy should buy!
I never even go by the manual recommendations when building camber links.
I always shoot a lil black grease in the end, get the turnbuckle started and run it in a certain amount of turns, then do the same for the other end. When the kit is built I throw some tires on and get out the camber gauge and set them to my usual settings for the track (usually -1* up front and -1.5* to -2* in the rear). The manual settings are merely a suggestion and shouldn't be the set in stone setting as they will be way off!
Me too, I just run them all the way in then back them off when wheels are on.