R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #18046
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Thanks for the help! I'll pick the brains at my local track for a bit to figure out the tire/wheel situation, etc. Looking forward to my first kit. I've always liked working on stuff just as much as running it so I'm looking forward to tuning and learning as much as I can.
cool... follow a pros setup at petitrc.com that is similiar or even from your local track. go for a 17.5 or 13.5 depending on classes run - 13.5 is probably "easier" and work on your lines, being consistent, hugging the pipe, driving in traffic, fly it wing high (brake as you leave a ramp). drive it as much as possible. I made ramps for my front yard for staying on top of "flying" the car - fun stuff! re: tires - mostly likely dirt webs or protons for clay. sauced with anything from liquid wrench to rc1. hope that helps
hsp-sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #18047
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude10 View Post
On the B5m what advantage do the alluminum c and d arm mounts provide with the different inserts.

Looking for a technical explanation. I run high bite carpet track.

Thanks.
Easier to adjust toe in and anti-squat (different pills vs different blocks as well as the added durability of the block vs the stock plastic. You can go with brass as well to add a lil weight there. On high bite carpet I'm not sure that would be necessary.
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #18048
Tech Rookie

Default Team associated B5M champions edition

Hi there I'm coming back on the rc racing seen and just wanted to know if this car is going to be right for me I'm a associated guy and have just brought a b44,3 but also wanna get a 2wd buggy to race around with on carpet track any advise on what buggy to get or should I go for this buggy thanks in advance tom
Associatedtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #18049
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Associatedtom View Post
Hi there I'm coming back on the rc racing seen and just wanted to know if this car is going to be right for me I'm a associated guy and have just brought a b44,3 but also wanna get a 2wd buggy to race around with on carpet track any advise on what buggy to get or should I go for this buggy thanks in advance tom

The CE version comes with several optional setups many which will do well on high bite carpet track. Just grab some of the pro setups and work with that. The out of the box setup with the 3 gear trans and a nice 17.5 motor will do well and keep you having fun.

Also check to see what setups the locals are using, chances are they have figured a lot of this out.
Just2much19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #18050
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Associatedtom View Post
Get the CE B5M.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-setup.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 PM   #18051
Tech Adept

Nice setup, but with a LR3 gearbox;
for a standard 3gearbox i will suggest a more agressive front end...

It will be interesting to see the cars of Cragg this weekend on the EOS Rd3;
LCG gearbox, standard gearbox, prototype ...??
5tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #18052
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Cragg is running his Yatabe Worlds buggy.

What makes me scratch my head, how is it that Yokomo can produce another low rider, now a 3 gear transmission, specifically for carpet/Astro with a cf shock tower and the rear shocks mounted in front of the rear arms, and AE wins the Worlds with theirs, and we all want one, but they're all like, "nah".
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power

Last edited by HeavyD99; 01-29-2016 at 06:36 AM.
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #18053
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
Cragg is running his Yatabe Worlds buggy.

What makes me scratch my head, how is it that Yokomo can produce another low rider, now a 3 gear transmission, specifically for carpet/Astro with a cf shock tower and the rear shocks mounted in front of the rear arms, and AE wins the Worlds with theirs, and we all want one, but they're all like, "nah".
They're a major manufacturer who supplies what the majority wants. At least around here the majority still run on dirt. I can only think of one or two carpet off-road tracks in a 4 state area around here. There's already an aftermarket lo-pro tranny available. Maybe that's their opinion or they are working on something different down there in area 51?
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #18054
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
They're a major manufacturer who supplies what the majority wants. At least around here the majority still run on dirt. I can only think of one or two carpet off-road tracks in a 4 state area around here. There's already an aftermarket lo-pro tranny available. Maybe that's their opinion or they are working on something different down there in area 51?
So the question comes down to. Does AE want to make a dirt and carpet edition? In the past the answer was no. The mainly make cars for dirt, then engineer for worlds as needed. Not a new thing for AE. "If" the market was there for 2 different platforms, I am sure they would do it.

I am surprised that Neil still has his worlds car. I would think AE would want that back.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #18055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 485 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego View Post
cool... follow a pros setup at petitrc.com
Unless you drive like one of those pros that's bad advice. You need to tune your conditions and driving style. 99.9% of us do not drive anywhere near the speeds of a pro and thus should not be setting out cars up to emulate theirs. Unless you are really good at setting up a car I'd recommend starting with the book set up and going from there. If your car has a 3 gear trans the B5M Lite book setup will work adequately anywhere other than super high grip carpet [so I hear].
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #18056
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

On the carpet car side, here in Az there are a few guys running laydown trans cars that love them on dirt granted out clay is really high traction but it is going that way. Also another thing to consider is that wont be much longer that AE will need a whole new design of car so that everyone will have to have the new car.

AE is in business to sell cars and parts they cannot do that and keep the same model just a fact there will be a total redesign in a year or two so that the parts are not compatible it is the business plan.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #18057
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslider View Post
Also another thing to consider is that wont be much longer that AE will need a whole new design of car so that everyone will have to have the new car.

AE is in business to sell cars and parts they cannot do that and keep the same model just a fact there will be a total redesign in a year or two so that the parts are not compatible it is the business plan.
Do you know how long they held onto the B4 platform?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #18058
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslider View Post
On the carpet car side, here in Az there are a few guys running laydown trans cars that love them on dirt granted out clay is really high traction but it is going that way. Also another thing to consider is that wont be much longer that AE will need a whole new design of car so that everyone will have to have the new car.

B4 platform ran for what 10 YEARS. The B5 is how old??

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #18059
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Do you know how long they held onto the B4 platform?
Oh, I dont think the b5m is going anywhere. The cost of the molds and what not, will require them to keep this platform around for a while. Unless the car becomes non competitive, AE will keep the car. The question is, will they make a carpet/turf car. I am inclined to say no. But anything is possible.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #18060
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Oh, I dont think the b5m is going anywhere. The cost of the molds and what not, will require them to keep this platform around for a while. Unless the car becomes non competitive, AE will keep the car. The question is, will they make a carpet/turf car. I am inclined to say no. But anything is possible.
Why bother? Is the car losing?

Is the car holding any of the team drivers back? They haven't had to Frankenstein a car to be competitive other than the goofy worlds track, so what is there to worry about...