R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #17836
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thartz36 View Post
Hey guys
I just got the new b5mce last week and ran it a few times. Im having a hard time getting the car to stop pushing/understeering on sharp right or left handers and causing me to have to wait till im straight to put the power down.

Also in high speed corners im almost coilbound on the rf and causing oversteer on exit.

Im running the Gullwing aarms setup and stock springs u build it with in the kit.

Any suggestions thanks ahead of time

Make sure your ball diff isn't slipping and the slipper isn't slipping to much i had the same problem with pushing to much . Once i did that and reduced the Rear grip, went to 23mm height , Battery forward it helped for sure . I use White springs all around .

With the Gullwing arms it shouldnt push at all though .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #17837
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If your diff is really tight it'll make it harder for the rear end to rotate. I suggest you check your diff and try to loosen it. Diff tightness plays a pretty big role in how the rear end rotates.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #17838
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
I just purchased a B5M Lite and a CE. The CE ball cups were fine, but all of the ball cups on the Lite bind. I thought AE resolved this issue. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what are you doing to resolve the problem. I've tried pinch the ball cups and it helped a little but they still bind.
I ran into the same problem with a new set of ball cups that I bought. They bind like hell... Even popping them on backwards didn't help! The ball studs were already polished.
I called AE (Don, I believe). He acted like this was the first time he's ever heard of this. I told him I didn't have a receipt, He didn't want to help anymore at that point... I made a couple of short videos to send to them but they are too large to E-mail.. I give up.
My B5 rear motor car had binding ball cups that I was able to free up. My B5m Team Kit had relatively nice ball cups in the box. My B5m CE's ball cups were great. I'm hoping someone at associated will understand that this is a case of a bad set that I received, and offer to send me new ones.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #17839
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
I ran into the same problem with a new set of ball cups that I bought. They bind like hell... Even popping them on backwards didn't help! The ball studs were already polished.
I called AE (Don, I believe). He acted like this was the first time he's ever heard of this. I told him I didn't have a receipt, He didn't want to help anymore at that point... I made a couple of short videos to send to them but they are too large to E-mail.. I give up.
My B5 rear motor car had binding ball cups that I was able to free up. My B5m Team Kit had relatively nice ball cups in the box. My B5m CE's ball cups were great. I'm hoping someone at associated will understand that this is a case of a bad set that I received, and offer to send me new ones.
Upload the video to youtube, and email them the links. What is it you're asking of Don, though?

My fix was to chuck up the ballstud with some toothpaste and run it on low in my dremel for a minute. This cured all of my stiff cups.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #17840
Tech Initiate

The set that came with my FL kit were the best set I've seen, made me very proud. This was a kit from Tower Hobbies 2 weeks ago. Good kit except for a missing 10x5x4 idler bearing......The EA representative on the phone was happy to send me one in the mail.
DeadstickDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #17841
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I'm curious. Is running on carpet basically like running onroad? What do jumps and "features" look like? It seems to me that its not really off-road. I understand that certain types of carpet are super-ultra high bite but at what point is it not really offroad?? I've always thought racing on clay was a novelty. Carpet sees a little sci-fi to me. How big is the typical carpet track?
Off road carpet can also be low loop office carpet scraps as well. I run on this a lot. I like the office carpet with mini pins/cut wedges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3bwPIOTh1g
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #17842
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Upload the video to youtube, and email them the links. What is it you're asking of Don, though?

My fix was to chuck up the ballstud with some toothpaste and run it on low in my dremel for a minute. This cured all of my stiff cups.
I'm asking Don (Team Associated) to send me a new set of ball cups that work just like the ones in the CE kit, and not some poorly manufactured ones. The Hobby Shop that I frequent just gives register tape for a sale, not an itemized receipt. Don acted like I was trying to rip them off when I explained this. I even offered to give him the number to Grandview Hobbies in Columbus, Ohio, to validate my purchase.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #17843
Tech Addict

My CE cups were just fine. No binding at all. If I were you I would do the toothpaste thing to get to the track as soon as possible.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #17844
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshack View Post
I'm asking Don (Team Associated) to send me a new set of ball cups that work just like the ones in the CE kit, and not some poorly manufactured ones. The Hobby Shop that I frequent just gives register tape for a sale, not an itemized receipt. Don acted like I was trying to rip them off when I explained this. I even offered to give him the number to Grandview Hobbies in Columbus, Ohio, to validate my purchase.
When I called AE about some bad parts in my FL kit I spoke to Nick. A few days after I emailed him the info I had my parts. Overall it was a good customer service experience.

The ball cups in my FL kit all worked great. Kit was purchased at tower a month ago.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #17845
Tech Prophet

Guys using the Gear diff on the B5M it says use two 5x14mm shims, on both sides of the diff halfs however on the part where its just the bigger crown gear no spider gears using the 2 shims makes it to tight and binds when i tighten it down also .

So is just 1 shim fine it does have some play though with just 1 but its spins smooth .

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #17846
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tool

Stumbled upon this handy magnetic, ratcheting micro screwdriver set at Lowes for $5. Has the correct Hex head tips and an extension perfect for building this kit. This has been a huge time saver. Get one and you will thank me later.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-kobalt.jpg  
Bforwarned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #17847
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is a bad boy for building B5mce kits.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF680N...ic+screwdriver
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #17848
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

can anyone tell me if the B5MCE comes with plastic hexes? I bought some axles from an online chop shop. They look slightly different than my lite axle. But all surfaces measure the same. Just a little different machining. It was suppost to be from a CE kit. they were sealed in a bag with plastic hexes.
fordohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #17849
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordohio View Post
can anyone tell me if the B5MCE comes with plastic hexes? I bought some axles from an online chop shop. They look slightly different than my lite axle. But all surfaces measure the same. Just a little different machining. It was suppost to be from a CE kit. they were sealed in a bag with plastic hexes.
Yes on the plastic hexes

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #17850
Tech Adept

the CE kit comes with both plastic and alu.(7mm) hexes;
and both std and HD axles.
5tone is offline   Reply With Quote