R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-09-2016, 02:58 AM   #17701
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
Do you have to have a charger that measures IR or can it be done with a multimeter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwboxn View Post
I would like to know this too; I've hooked up my batteries to my multimeter in the past and wasnt able to get any resistance reading on any of the settings, but voltage readings were fine. I assume I was doing something wrong, but I never looked into it
Takes a special setup to measure battery IR. This ESR meter is one option. Although I'd prefer to invest in a IR capable charger for overall convenience.

Note different devices/chargers don't necessarily produce the same values. I've seen some brands of chargers provide similar numbers, some quite different, on the same packs. Also various variables impact the readings, especially pack temperature. So be careful when trying to compare with others (bench racing lol). But most any device/method seems to work for tracking and comparing your pack conditions, and evaluating care & storage techniques. Which is where these measurements can be useful.

For the record nothing new here, battery IR is an old and accepted performance method, been used in RC since at least the '80s if not earlier, as well as in the general battery industry.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:26 AM   #17702
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Most probably do not know about a turbo thirty or Victor iq3.,. Now I am showing my age!
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #17703
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck View Post
The B5ML is going together quite smoothly so far, except for the CVAs...... My kit came with 6 pins that all look identical, all of them cause the CVA to bind and become too stiff to ever hope they will loosen up, the holes in the CVA cups seem to be just a gnat's hair too low. What am I missing or are they all tight?

Thanks
-Deadstickduck
Ran into the same problem last night as well. So I just emailed associated in hopes that they can send me a set of new axles. Waiting on some other parts to finish the build so I am hoping it will come before I finish.
DennisNyholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #17704
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
That is exactly what I was told when my packs arrived in the 'pre-puffed' state. They stuff soo much pack into a super thin case that its going to puff. Nowadays with how the battery strap goes into the waterfall a puffed pack will create an issue...the strap needs to float in that region, not be jammed up in there. The chassis cant flex properly if the strap/pack wont let it.
My SMCs did puff, Reedys puffed bad, been using Orion's with pretty good luck. Just recycled one that puffed out of 4 and popped case but replaced at LHS for 64.99. Been using for 6 months and last the longest with decent IR.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #17705
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
Most probably do not know about a turbo thirty or Victor iq3.,. Now I am showing my age!
I had one

With the turbo matcher too!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #17706
Tech Initiate

Default B5M lite CVA binding fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
Look in the ends of the axles. The end that the bone goes in. I have seen a couple kits with axles that have not been fully drilled. One was a CE kit that came with a second set of properly drilled, another kit (FL) I just drilled out the end of the axle a little bit at a time till the binding went away.
That was the fix to the problem I was having with my new out of box CVAs, they only needed a tiny bit of the cup drilled out with a 3/16in drill bit, just enough to clear the binding friction......In the video you can see the shiny ring in the bottom of the cup where the drill removed the metal.

youtu.be/g5_TEJd6lgg

Last edited by DeadstickDuck; 01-10-2016 at 07:27 AM.
DeadstickDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #17707
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Prime waterfall, no go on stock body and sweep body. Only Jconcepts body that I have that works is Finnisher.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #17708
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gear diff. Use all the gears or just 2 of the small ones?
fordohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #17709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

has anyone here run Cav's setup for SRS?

I'm gonna try it tomorrow for high grip.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #17710
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
has anyone here run Cav's setup for SRS?

I'm gonna try it tomorrow for high grip.
SRS is ridiculous grip. Unfortunately the setup sheet only lists low, med & high as an option.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #17711
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Raced my b5m last night and the car was perfect except for exiting the corner i always lost rear grip suddenly right before i was about to get back on throttle. Whats an adjustment to fix that? Basically my setup is like this: purple avid front spring, 3x1.3 32.5wt middle, outside link inside on hub inside on tower.. Yellow avid rear spring, 2x1.6 30wt inside inside, link 2 hole hub outside and inside on inner ball stud. 3 deg toe 1 deg AS. 24mm 24mm. Running slicked dirt webs. Track is hard packed grooved indoor clay.
Cday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #17712
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cday View Post
Raced my b5m last night and the car was perfect except for exiting the corner i always lost rear grip suddenly right before i was about to get back on throttle. Whats an adjustment to fix that? Basically my setup is like this: purple avid front spring, 3x1.3 32.5wt middle, outside link inside on hub inside on tower.. Yellow avid rear spring, 2x1.6 30wt inside inside, link 2 hole hub outside and inside on inner ball stud. 3 deg toe 1 deg AS. 24mm 24mm. Running slicked dirt webs. Track is hard packed grooved indoor clay.
Going to a shorter link in the rear is how I would approach it. Shorter in the front would be a bigger step.
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #17713
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cday View Post
What 3x1.3 piston is that? Didn't know associated made one..
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #17714
Tech Adept

So I haven't gone through all 1k plus pages on this thread but I was wondering if anyone has or is running either the X Factory or the Plan B RC chassis. If so what are your thoughts an is it worth the money, thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #17715
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPMX772 View Post
So I haven't gone through all 1k plus pages on this thread but I was wondering if anyone has or is running either the X Factory or the Plan B RC chassis. If so what are your thoughts an is it worth the money, thanks!
Seems to be asked about every 4 pages. Go back a read the thread, a BUTT-TON of very good information inside this thread!
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote