R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree15Likes

Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #17596
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Mostly Motor Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashn77 View Post
That makes sense but it seem like even though the spur gear doesn't effect the driving as much I find it hard to believe that all its for is a mm or 2mm of motor placement so can someone please elaborate more and the difference between a 69 tooth and a 72 tooth spur gear
As others have posted, in general a 1 tooth change on the spur is a much smaller change than a pinion gear and 3 teeth on the spur about equal a 1 tooth change on the pinion gear. If we had smaller increments in spur gears to choose from we could fine tune gearing even further.

In some cases you may have a gear ratio you can't get to with a specific size spur gear, for example the smallest pinion you can typically get on with a 69 tooth spur is a 29 tooth pinion, so you would need to go to a 72 with a 30 tooth pinion in order to get a similar gear ratio. If you wanted to run a 69/28 ratio because the 29 is too much gearů you would have to change spur gears in order to get the next step down in ratio.

I do personally use the size of the spur gear as a tuning aid, for example when I run on a low grip track I will run a 78/21 with my mod motor. This moves the motor back just a little bit giving me a little more rear weight bias. If I go to a higher grip track I will run a 81/22 moving the motor forward for more steering and less rear weight bias.

I understand this does not seem like a big change but the motor is the second heaviest component in your chassis so moving it just a few mm does have a change in handling of the chassis.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Good Luck!
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #17597
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6674 View Post
There seems to be a lot of problems with tight ball cups. I have built a B5, B5M and a T5M. All had really tight ball cups. I put the ball in a dremel and put a dab of oil in it. Then spun the ball in the cup. Takes a few minutes to loosen. Messed a few up by using to fast of a speed, melted the cup.

What way do you use?
Snap the ballcup on backwards with the small opening towards the ball stud. This will stretch the cup slightly and will be perfect.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #17598
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc5 man View Post
I bought a Associated Aluminum ball stud Rear mount and it has a plus 2mm and - 2mm I know its for Rear roll center so for Meduim traction clay should I use plus 2mm or -2mm for that traction ?

Anybody know ?

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:50 AM   #17599
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Anybody know ?
Running it +2 will give you less rear traction in the corners than running it -2. So try one way, if you don't like it, flip the bar.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #17600
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 488 (100%+)

Quote:
Anybody know ?
The book on the Lite says to run it -2 with 3mm of spacers on the inner ball stud. What I've seen a lot of people do is run it in the +2 position w/no spacer. I guess it depends on where you need your roll center.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #17601
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
The book on the Lite says to run it -2 with 3mm of spacers on the inner ball stud. What I've seen a lot of people do is run it in the +2 position w/no spacer. I guess it depends on where you need your roll center.
Higher is lower rolcenter on the brace, so lowgrip general you want higher rolcenter. So lower on the brace.
Svendc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #17602
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
Snap the ballcup on backwards with the small opening towards the ball stud. This will stretch the cup slightly and will be perfect.
Thanks! Will give that a shot next time! What about this reamer? I like that idea.
brian6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #17603
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6674 View Post
Thanks! Will give that a shot next time! What about this reamer? I like that idea.
Never tried the reamer. When you snap it on backwards to stretch, take back off and snap on correct way. forgot to mention that earlier.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #17604
Tech Regular

Finally made it through the descision, lets go get a B5M
Is NOW a good time for a buy? Could wait 1-2 months if possibly anything cool is going to happen at AE
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #17605
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man1ac View Post
Finally made it through the descision, lets go get a B5M
Is NOW a good time for a buy? Could wait 1-2 months if possibly anything cool is going to happen at AE
If 1-2 months, I would buy now. If 3+ months, maybe wait. AE normally does update on a 12 month cycle, "If they plan to do one". That would me an updated buggy "could" come out in 3-5 months. If they even update the Lite kit. IMO it would just be option parts, as I hear AE has no desire to make a lay down tranny.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #17606
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
If 1-2 months, I would buy now. If 3+ months, maybe wait. AE normally does update on a 12 month cycle, "If they plan to do one". That would me an updated buggy "could" come out in 3-5 months. If they even update the Lite kit. IMO it would just be option parts, as I hear AE has no desire to make a lay down tranny.
I think a full FT version would be next with extra mounting holes for a possible lay-down transmission offered separately.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #17607
Tech Regular

Quote:
I think a full FT version would be next with extra mounting holes for a possible lay-down transmission offered separately.
But that would cost a few extra bucks compared to the FL? I dont wanna spend as much as possible, just as much as I need to
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #17608
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
While I would love to see an AE laydown (even though I just spent $$$ on one ), I have a friend who runs for AE that was told by an AE engineer that its "not gonna happen".

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #17609
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Locally, many "fast" guys are going to the laydown tranny from Lind Andres (or something). When I asked around, I was told AE has NO current plans for a laydown tranny.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #17610
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Locally, many "fast" guys are going to the laydown tranny from Lind Andres (or something). When I asked around, I was told AE has NO current plans for a laydown tranny.
Anders Lind on Facebook.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote