Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 01-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tony montana
In all reality, what needs to be improved on the b5m that will make you go faster?
ok i like Asso cars, but i'm also a critical fan.

With the win of the worlds tittle for AE with the B5 'world car', i have a double feeling.
AE makes marketing with the car of the worlds to sell B5M cars, but it's not the car you can buy, other tranny, shocktower...
not the B5M (CE)is bad at carpet or astro, but ...
If you look like xray they make a 2wd car focus for astro, carpet, but also a dirt chassis. They will become bigger and bigger, every year, with that additude .
You can't deny enymore offroad racing is more than clay and dirt.
You will loose a hole bunch of potenial customers, if you think like that, especially if you are a worlds champions winning Team.

gtz
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Associated isn't ignoring the carpet trend, just not coming out with something without analyzing whether they need a whole new platform. Associated has been in the business a long time and while some may not like that they don't have a lcg car out yet, they have a plan.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My stock B5M FL with 17.5 M3 SS and v3.1 HW SS esc is way faster than my B5/Mach2/$50 HW justock. I'd say it's almost as fast as the experts with pucks/lighter cars at our local track. I can't imagine there's a better bargain at $80-90.

Not apples to apples, but definitely the combo is a ton faster, like 20%. It weighs 40 grams less and has better bearings though.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Svendc
ok i like Asso cars, but i'm also a critical fan.

With the win of the worlds tittle for AE with the B5 'world car', i have a double feeling.
AE makes marketing with the car of the worlds to sell B5M cars, but it's not the car you can buy, other tranny, shocktower...
not the B5M (CE)is bad at carpet or astro, but ...
If you look like xray they make a 2wd car focus for astro, carpet, but also a dirt chassis. They will become bigger and bigger, every year, with that additude .
You can't deny enymore offroad racing is more than clay and dirt.
You will loose a hole bunch of potenial customers, if you think like that, especially if you are a worlds champions winning Team.

gtz

The B5M works fine on carpet you just need to make some little changes .

The carpet track i race at is ozite its more low to Med grip than high . It would make sense to get a car made for carpet or Astro turf if that's the only thing you race on.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pinebox
I've been running a mach3 for a while. But, I think I'm way off on the timing and gearing.
45* timing and 34/69 gearing with a fan. It has no bottom end punch, but a fast top end.
I ran the same setup with a mach2 and it was great.

I'm going back to 20* and 32/69 or 31/72 and starting over with the setup.
I would try a smaller pinion gear like a 30 because from what I understand the higher the pinion the more top end speed and higher motor temp usuallyso go down a few teeth on the pinion and get some of that low end power back.

However I have a hard time understanding which spur fear to pick like the 69 or 72.. I know that spur gear make much less of a different compared to pinion gears so if someone could explain that to me that would be greatly appreciated because I'm in the same boat on picking gearing going from a 8.5 to 17.5 class and I know in a stock class gearing is a huge park of it
Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Laydown redworks shop

I've read this thread and some topics are about laydown tranny.
Redworks shop is one option to buy.
Does anybody know if associated is going to release a laydown transmission as an option or is redwork shop the only option?
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

So far, no, AE doesn't plan on it.

Reds Workshop, Anders Lind, AC Gear on Shapeways, and another guy on here are the options I know of.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by boucher
So far, no, AE doesn't plan on it.

Reds Workshop, Anders Lind, AC Gear on Shapeways, and another guy on here are the options I know of.
Thanks! :-)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:57 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

excuse my ignorance but whats all needed to run no anti squat? It seems the kit only allows down to 1 degree ,not zero. I believe I seen a C and D block, so a little confused. I like the B5M FL setup but would like to try no anti squat. Can you run zero anti squat with FL setup or do you need aftermarket parts?

Last edited by a1; 01-03-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slashn77
I would try a smaller pinion gear like a 30 because from what I understand the higher the pinion the more top end speed and higher motor temp usuallyso go down a few teeth on the pinion and get some of that low end power back.

However I have a hard time understanding which spur fear to pick like the 69 or 72.. I know that spur gear make much less of a different compared to pinion gears so if someone could explain that to me that would be greatly appreciated because I'm in the same boat on picking gearing going from a 8.5 to 17.5 class and I know in a stock class gearing is a huge park of it
From what I have read, spur size is all where you want your motor, further back with smaller spur, further forward with larger. Sometimes a 69 is too small for a certain gearing so you have to go to 72 so pinion hits spur. But gearing ratio is gearing ratio, different spur is just changing motor placement by a few mil.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1
excuse my ignorance but whats all needed to run no anti squat? It seems the kit only allows down to 1 degree ,not zero. I believe I seen a C and D block, so a little confused. I like the B5M FL setup but would like to try no anti squat. Can you run zero anti squat with FL setup or do you need aftermarket parts?
With the aluminum or brass C block there is a 3+0 option, 3 degrees toe and 0 degrees anti-squat. Other than that I think you need to get creative.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:25 PM
a1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
With the aluminum or brass C block there is a 3+0 option, 3 degrees toe and 0 degrees anti-squat. Other than that I think you need to get creative.
ok, thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cridd
From what I have read, spur size is all where you want your motor, further back with smaller spur, further forward with larger. Sometimes a 69 is too small for a certain gearing so you have to go to 72 so pinion hits spur. But gearing ratio is gearing ratio, different spur is just changing motor placement by a few mil.
That makes sense but it seem like even though the spur gear doesn't effect the driving as much I find it hard to believe that all its for is a mm or 2mm of motor placement so can someone please elaborate more and the difference between a 69 tooth and a 72 tooth spur gear
Old 01-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

just wanna know if by badluck im the only one but i just sell my older b5m team kit and get a new one FL..start up the build.almost everything is ok but when was time to put rear 7mm hex..1 was oki the other one had no threads..so the screw cannot do is job lol...after that i got the same issue with one of the thumbs nut..no thread onto it...and got one nylon nut for shock without nylon...this car must have been buid at 16:45 on friday..i know this is no big deal..hex are like 10$ and thumbs nut 6$ and nylon nut few more but im just a little bit pissed off..should i contact associated or they're not gonna trust me on that..thx for your advice guys
Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

In my experience, Associated has been great at replacing bad parts. Just email them or give them a call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.