R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #17566
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
If you posted the motor you bought, you would get even better answers. 31/69 is for most short stacks with medium rotors. A high torque rotor like the Turnigy V2 has, won't spin up so you would run a 34/69 with 42 degrees timing.
Sorry it is the new Reedy Mach 3 17.5
Also has the TekinRS esc with Hotwire so any tips on how to get the most out of the motor would've awesome as well! Thanks guys
Slashn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #17567
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
He did. Reedy Sonic Mach 3. The title of his post.
Yes thanks man!
Old 01-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #17568
Tech Regular

May I ask why so often the FL is recommended and not the CE?
Price issues? The only staying difference between these 2 is the lightweight chassis...

Asking because instead of upgrading the B5 into a B5m, I could get a B5m CE for 10 bucks more than the FL costs (in germany)
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #17569
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man1ac View Post
May I ask why so often the FL is recommended and not the CE?
Price issues? The only staying difference between these 2 is the lightweight chassis...

Asking because instead of upgrading the B5 into a B5m, I could get a B5m CE for 10 bucks more than the FL costs (in germany)
FL has been out longer, CE is more $ and comes with some stuff that some may not even use. It is also a limited edition kit that may not be available for much longer or at all depending on where its purchased. If you can get one for a couple bucks more i would do it.

FL comes with the B5 rear arms (forward swept for more weight over the rear)
CE comes with the original B5m rear arms
CE seems to be a Team Kit with some extras thrown in the box.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #17570
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Speaking of the mach 3 17.5. Never run 17.5 class before. But we have a roar race coming up and wanna run it. How does the Mach 3 stack up against the other 17.5's?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #17571
Tech Regular

Ah okay, didtn know that stuff about the rear arms. But anyway thanks! But even if the CE isnt available any longer, why is it an issue? It's still a "FL B5m wiouth the arms and the chassis"?

I kind of get the idea that upgrading the B5 to a B5M is a stupid idea, because Id pay half the price of the FL, but wont get that much (no chassis and a whole lot less aluminium parts)...I kind of hate buying a "new buggy" everytime I a m stuck between something......(I should get rich and buy all!)
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #17572
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Speaking of the mach 3 17.5. Never run 17.5 class before. But we have a roar race coming up and wanna run it. How does the Mach 3 stack up against the other 17.5's?
I would love to know this question also as I haven't used mine yet and this is my first 17.5 motor ever so hopefully someone will chime in here
Old 01-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #17573
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I've been running a mach3 for a while. But, I think I'm way off on the timing and gearing.
45* timing and 34/69 gearing with a fan. It has no bottom end punch, but a fast top end.
I ran the same setup with a mach2 and it was great.

I'm going back to 20* and 32/69 or 31/72 and starting over with the setup.
Pinebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #17574
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
In all reality, what needs to be improved on the b5m that will make you go faster?
ok i like Asso cars, but i'm also a critical fan.

With the win of the worlds tittle for AE with the B5 'world car', i have a double feeling.
AE makes marketing with the car of the worlds to sell B5M cars, but it's not the car you can buy, other tranny, shocktower...
not the B5M (CE)is bad at carpet or astro, but ...
If you look like xray they make a 2wd car focus for astro, carpet, but also a dirt chassis. They will become bigger and bigger, every year, with that additude .
You can't deny enymore offroad racing is more than clay and dirt.
You will loose a hole bunch of potenial customers, if you think like that, especially if you are a worlds champions winning Team.

gtz
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #17575
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Associated isn't ignoring the carpet trend, just not coming out with something without analyzing whether they need a whole new platform. Associated has been in the business a long time and while some may not like that they don't have a lcg car out yet, they have a plan.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #17576
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My stock B5M FL with 17.5 M3 SS and v3.1 HW SS esc is way faster than my B5/Mach2/$50 HW justock. I'd say it's almost as fast as the experts with pucks/lighter cars at our local track. I can't imagine there's a better bargain at $80-90.

Not apples to apples, but definitely the combo is a ton faster, like 20%. It weighs 40 grams less and has better bearings though.
tsair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #17577
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendc View Post
ok i like Asso cars, but i'm also a critical fan.

With the win of the worlds tittle for AE with the B5 'world car', i have a double feeling.
AE makes marketing with the car of the worlds to sell B5M cars, but it's not the car you can buy, other tranny, shocktower...
not the B5M (CE)is bad at carpet or astro, but ...
If you look like xray they make a 2wd car focus for astro, carpet, but also a dirt chassis. They will become bigger and bigger, every year, with that additude .
You can't deny enymore offroad racing is more than clay and dirt.
You will loose a hole bunch of potenial customers, if you think like that, especially if you are a worlds champions winning Team.

gtz

The B5M works fine on carpet you just need to make some little changes .

The carpet track i race at is ozite its more low to Med grip than high . It would make sense to get a car made for carpet or Astro turf if that's the only thing you race on.

Hobby Hut offroad, Mushroom bowl offroad, Fun Center raceway.
GS HOBBY , Stormer Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, RRP Hobby .
tc5 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #17578
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinebox View Post
I've been running a mach3 for a while. But, I think I'm way off on the timing and gearing.
45* timing and 34/69 gearing with a fan. It has no bottom end punch, but a fast top end.
I ran the same setup with a mach2 and it was great.

I'm going back to 20* and 32/69 or 31/72 and starting over with the setup.
I would try a smaller pinion gear like a 30 because from what I understand the higher the pinion the more top end speed and higher motor temp usuallyso go down a few teeth on the pinion and get some of that low end power back.

However I have a hard time understanding which spur fear to pick like the 69 or 72.. I know that spur gear make much less of a different compared to pinion gears so if someone could explain that to me that would be greatly appreciated because I'm in the same boat on picking gearing going from a 8.5 to 17.5 class and I know in a stock class gearing is a huge park of it
Old 01-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #17579
Tech Initiate

Default Laydown redworks shop

I've read this thread and some topics are about laydown tranny.
Redworks shop is one option to buy.
Does anybody know if associated is going to release a laydown transmission as an option or is redwork shop the only option?
Torvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #17580
Tech Regular

So far, no, AE doesn't plan on it.

Reds Workshop, Anders Lind, AC Gear on Shapeways, and another guy on here are the options I know of.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote