Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
A long link will lower the roll center on that end of the car, making traction rolling worse.
The guide in the back of the manual says that a longer link is generally used on higher grip. Yet it also says it gives it more roll.

I'm confused lol
Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
A long link will lower the roll center on that end of the car, making traction rolling worse.
Actually, the main change with the longer link in THIS case is camber gain, not roll center. The story would be different if you lengthen it by moving in at the chassis, but this is moving out at the hub.

This change really does very little in terms of roll because it doesn't change the leverage the outside wheel has to pull the chassis over by much, if any, which it would if you changed the linkage point at the inside near the chassis.

What it does do is keep the outside wheel from leaning IN as much (gaining camber) during roll, and effectively bleeds off traction at the rear tire because the tire leans OUT too far in corners. It's the classic more camber = more traction in corners, less camber = less traction in corners. In this case, it will help prevent traction rolls because the harder you press the car in the corner, the less it grabs.

That's also the reason I don't like the change. I'd rather have good predictable contact patch and bleed of traction another way, like limiting roll with a sway bar, stiffer springs, ride height, or roll center (although roll center may be too small of an adjustment to really individually play a roll in preventing traction rolling on super high bite surfaces).

Wayne
Old 01-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Anybody have a link for a tool to measure spring compression rate on our toy cars?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:07 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cridd
Anybody have a link for a tool to measure spring compression rate on our toy cars?
Here you go: http://www.redrc.net/2014/12/gforce-spring-rate-gauge/

Originally Posted by BrandonBreh
Since the release of the B5M, buggy has become more popular at my track than 2wd sc. I was going to pick up a b5m, but now with the release of the t5m, i'm wondering if stadium truck is going to take off now. I have a T4 and have never owned a buggy. Any opinions on making my decision any easier? The b5m has been in my sights for a few months now and i am really starting to question myself now.
A stadium truck will be easier to drive than a buggy. As AE's kits are reasonably priced, I'd say get both, but if buying tires for two types of vehicles is too expensive, this may not be an option. You could approach one of the B5M drivers at your track and ask them to let you run through a few batteries to make up your mind. Maybe you could buy your own set of tires to do so. If you like it, you'll need some tires anyway, and if you don't like it, it will still be cheaper than the money you'd lose buying and reselling a kit.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Has anyone had any problems out of the box with the rear axles? I recently finished my kit and was at the track last week breaking in the diff on the bench and I noticed the wheels seemed waaay out of balance. Figured I must have done a bad glue job but now that I'm home looking at it, BOTH of the axles are bent.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have 3 kits, never bent one
Old 01-09-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by alex4r
Has anyone had any problems out of the box with the rear axles? I recently finished my kit and was at the track last week breaking in the diff on the bench and I noticed the wheels seemed waaay out of balance. Figured I must have done a bad glue job but now that I'm home looking at it, BOTH of the axles are bent.
I have bent one but it was preceded with carnage!

jB
Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The bushing doesnt fit in the cap? Are they the 91450 caps?...or the 91303 caps? There is a V1 and V2 version.

91450:http://www.amain.com/team-associated...ap-set/p275224
91303: http://www.amain.com/team-associated...-cap-2/p239772
Originally Posted by Sofa King
caps are 91450?
and stand offs 91446?

Thats a good question guys, I am not sure, I bought them from out LHS just assuming there was only one version and even if there were two, he only carries new stock, its a relatively new store but he may have ordered old ones. So since it would seem I have the wrong caps, is it horrible that they have a little wiggle room, would suck to have wasted $60 (b5m and b44.3)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Graham11
Thats a good question guys, I am not sure, I bought them from out LHS just assuming there was only one version and even if there were two, he only carries new stock, its a relatively new store but he may have ordered old ones. So since it would seem I have the wrong caps, is it horrible that they have a little wiggle room, would suck to have wasted $60 (b5m and b44.3)
I'm going to take this and be honest, It's frustrating that the B5M is metric. I picked up a SC10.2, and now can use all my old tools from 10 years ago which is cool, but seriously, having to have both sets is annoying.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
I'm going to take this and be honest, It's frustrating that the B5M is metric. I picked up a SC10.2, and now can use all my old tools from 10 years ago which is cool, but seriously, having to have both sets is annoying.
But using a 2mm to do 90% of the car is nice
Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Wayne, have you tried the 1.7s with 32.5 in the rear yet? landing a jump is so effortless in my experience.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
Wayne, have you tried the 1.7s with 32.5 in the rear yet? landing a jump is so effortless in my experience.
I've tried 1.7s in the rear, but I felt I needed 35wt, and then it wasn't my favorite. I think it depends on how you are landing jumps.

The 1.7s provide you with more static damping vs pack. They're good if you're on a completely blown out track and need as little pack as possible, or a really fast smooth track and you need to run thicker static damping for the corners without making the car pack up like a brick. Whenever I ran them on our track, I felt that they were good until I drove the car hard, and then they didn't handle the corners or harsh landings as well as I wanted.

my $0.02
Old 01-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

since bushings are cheaper than buying new caps, which bushings fit these older style caps? these:
http://www.amain.com/team-associated...g-blue-4/p7969

or I also have the schelle standoffs which I took off because the shock caps I got didnt fit and thats why i bought the AE standoffs, so I guess i could replace the b5m bushings with the old schelle b4 bushings:
http://www.amain.com/schelle-racing-...hing-4/p300382
Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Razathorn
I've tried 1.7s in the rear, but I felt I needed 35wt, and then it wasn't my favorite. I think it depends on how you are landing jumps.

The 1.7s provide you with more static damping vs pack. They're good if you're on a completely blown out track and need as little pack as possible, or a really fast smooth track and you need to run thicker static damping for the corners without making the car pack up like a brick. Whenever I ran them on our track, I felt that they were good until I drove the car hard, and then they didn't handle the corners or harsh landings as well as I wanted.

my $0.02
cool beans. 1.7s just seemed more consistent/safe throughout the day here. switching to the 3x1.4 tapers saturday if its warm enough for me lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJG24
When I run my 8.5 I use the same gearing but run 20degrees of timing. I usually run this on a mid size indoor track with tighter turns. If the track is more flowing or a little larger I run a 7.5 with 21 or 22 pinion and can timing around 20 as well.
Cool thanks for the input. I will give it a try. the current track is a pretty tight/technical track layout so I will try the 8.5 with the timing at 20 and see how it runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.