Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree136Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The three gear top shaft just came in to stock.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Was this a result from a different chassis, or have you tested the 3 gear already in the b5m to draw this conclusion?
It changes the direction the motor rotates/torques against the chassis. In a RM car, you want the motor's rotation direction to put pressure on the front tires, so the dang thing can turn, because there is so much weight out back. It gives the car a balanced feeling. RM car's accomplish this with a 3 gear trans.

In a MM car, because all of the weight of the car is inside the rear axle, the balance sits the other way. On-throttle, they CAN lack REAR bite, instead of front bite. So you run a 4gear trans, so that the rotation of the motor torques the chassis to put pressure on the rear tires instead. If you run a 3 gear trans in a MM car, you have the potential to really limit weight shift to the rear of the car.

This is stuff I learned 20 years ago, and still have modern day experience with when I was running the DEX and Cougar (which only had 4gear option). It's published info you can go look-up yourself. As a matter of fact, Durango has a GREAT little graphical diagram that teaches the whole thing.

I will venture to say that MOST tracks, the 4gear will be better. On SOME tracks that have high enough traction... the 3 gear will be better. Either way, releasing the truck stock with a 3 gear would be a mistake, as it certainly won't be the way to go for most tracks. So in conclusion, it is my opinion that it will be a tuning option for those that want the most amount of on-throttle steering as possible, which will usually only be tracks with the highest levels of traction.

I will certainly be buying to try out.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

+1^^^
Old 01-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Just ordered a B5M, can't wait until it gets here, this will be my first venture into the kit world (all RTRs in the past).

Thinking of going with the Turnigy TrackStar combo, the 120A 'turbo' ESC and a TrackStar red-can motor. Any recommendations on size? I was thinking 17.5T until I start racing on a regular basis. How about gearing?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

How bout we ditch both the idler gears?
Less rotating mass, stiction, weight, etc. I know it's easier said than done, but why isn't it being done?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Thomas PA
Less rotating mass, stiction, weight, etc. I know it's easier said than done, but why isn't it being done?
Direct drive offroad? I'm not sure if the spur gear could handle it...but hey, it's worth a shot
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

You propose replacing them with a belt?
Think it has been done before.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudsurfer1234
Just ordered a B5M, can't wait until it gets here, this will be my first venture into the kit world (all RTRs in the past).

Thinking of going with the Turnigy TrackStar combo, the 120A 'turbo' ESC and a TrackStar red-can motor. Any recommendations on size? I was thinking 17.5T until I start racing on a regular basis. How about gearing?
I've been using the track star ESC and 7.5 motor for several weeks and both have been great.unless your going to run stock class I would get a lower turn motor maybe a 9.5 or 10.5.in the manual is a gearing chart thats generally close.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

http://www.redrc.net/2015/01/rdrp-b5...et/#more-91021

"Made for the Team Associated B5 series of buggies are these aluminium shock mounts from RDRP. Machined from aircraft-grade 7075-T6 aluminium and hard-anodised, the bushings not only look cool but they also improve suspension efficiency as they do not bend under heavy loads like the kit’s composite bushings do. Precision manufacturing ensures an optimised fit within the upper shock cap while the specially treated surface makes for a hard-wearing part. The parts fit both rear and mid motor converted cars."

Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
http://www.redrc.net/2015/01/rdrp-b5...et/#more-91021

"Made for the Team Associated B5 series of buggies are these aluminium shock mounts from RDRP. Machined from aircraft-grade 7075-T6 aluminium and hard-anodised, the bushings not only look cool but they also improve suspension efficiency as they do not bend under heavy loads like the kit’s composite bushings do. Precision manufacturing ensures an optimised fit within the upper shock cap while the specially treated surface makes for a hard-wearing part. The parts fit both rear and mid motor converted cars."

DUDE!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thecman26
You propose replacing them with a belt?
Think it has been done before.
As cool as a belt would be, I was thinking just eliminating the two idlers and going top shaft to diff. It'd require a new case for sure. But if you look at one side of the diff case, they're really not all that far apart. Maybe just move the top shaft down and a back a little and tada. Someone get on that! I'm busy with midterms!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mudsurfer1234

Congrats! Its a really easy kit to build, too. Just take your time

If you are not worried about hanging with the true Mod guys, i think a 10.5 is perfect.

jB
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

As cool as a belt would be, I was thinking just eliminating the two idlers and going top shaft to diff. It'd require a new case for sure. But if you look at one side of the diff case, they're really not all that far apart. Maybe just move the top shaft down and a back a little and tada. Someone get on that! I'm busy with midterms!
The gear ratio would still be the same 2.6:1 and you would still have to gear the motor like you would with the idlers there. Study more...
Old 01-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The gear ratio would still be the same 2.6:1 and you would still have to gear the motor like you would with the idlers there. Study more...
Hey, I thought you weren't racing anymore?LOL BTW, you radio is awesome!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
The only reason it would require different gearing is because you might have to run a smaller spur to avoid the outdrive. Haha. But a non issue in stock!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.