Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and in cases like this there is no right or wrong. However, I don't believe that you need most of that stuff. None of the pros that I know use any of it with the exception of good bearings and diff parts. There are those that believe that the edge they get from having all the best stuff is what separates them from their closest competitors and there might be some truth to that. However, if you look at what all the top guys run, a majority of it is pretty basic. I think tire selection, good set up, and basic upgrades are really all you need. From personal experience my laps times are virtually the same between a mostly box stock car that is in good shape and a similar car with $500 in upgrades. I've even given a few friends my stock car to use only to have them lap me anyway. I'm gonna suck with or without cut gears and drilled outdrives.
yep, 90% of the crap I buy does not do crap. A few pieces lower motor temps and the rest is bling. The "Lite" comes with pretty much everything I need. I do like pucks and cut gears for 17.5. Mostly for some lower motor temps and more snap. I also prefer the Avid Slipper. I tried to go back to the AE slipper, but it was crappy. I didnt like it at all.

That being said, Rivkin beat everyone at JC stock nats without pucks. Unsure on cut gears, since I could not see in his gear box, lol. And owning tires, is only part of the equation at SRS. I have been aware for a while, but trying to ignore it, but tire prep is everything. I tried to use the stock foams and tires without any prep and it was not great. I keep seeing posts saying, "I bought the same tires the fast guys use...", while that may be true, that is only part of the tire program. I miss outdoor non sugar racing. Good Ole glue and go tires.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

tires is seriously 99% of indoor racing. it's 90% of all racing, but 99% of indoor. I could hand you 4 pairs of Typos that all look similar and all are very different and handle very different. Sucks, but that's the world we live in.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Doesn't Kinwald race at SRS now?
Old 11-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by racer1812
yep. I talk to him from time to time. But he is uber "creative" in everything he does in RC. Some of his work bleeds off into the fast guys, then trickles down. I was talking to him recently, and he told me that he makes all of his sway bars. He rarely ever uses the OEM ones, lol. That guy just loves to make stuff. He is ALWAYS trying new stuff, so his tire program changes often. He even makes his own tires sauce. He would create a car from the ground up if he has the resources, I am sure of it.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Stock parts or not, that you can see. Do you all really think a tranny built out of the box will spin as free as what the Pros run at the Stock Nats? Come on, you know better than that They might not be the big names who end up on the podium anymore but there's some old dogs on the AE team that know how to prep this stuff and free it up.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Also, Kinwald pits in a very accessible spot at SRS, which makes him very approachable. Very nice guy and always willing to give you tips. Some guys pit like they have a moat and wall to protect them, lol. Rivkin also pits in an accessible spot, but he goes to BK when he needs help. So IMO, just go to the source directly, lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Stock parts or not, that you can see. Do you all really think a tranny built out of the box will spin as free as what the Pros run at the Stock Nats? Come on, you know better than that They might not be the big names who end up on the podium anymore but there's some old dogs on the AE team that know how to prep this stuff and free it up.
yeah, I know what some of the guys are doing. The effort they put into the gear box is no joke. reminds me of the old RC10 6 gear days. Where you really needed to work on the gear box, or you would never make 4 minutes, lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
yep. I talk to him from time to time. But he is uber "creative" in everything he does in RC. Some of his work bleeds off into the fast guys, then trickles down. I was talking to him recently, and he told me that he makes all of his sway bars. He rarely ever uses the OEM ones, lol. That guy just loves to make stuff. He is ALWAYS trying new stuff, so his tire program changes often. He even makes his own tires sauce. He would create a car from the ground up if he has the resources, I am sure of it.
All I will say to that is nothing is as simple as it appears to be with him and his equipment.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Prophet

All I will say to that is nothing is as simple as it appears to be with him and his equipment.
yeah, I went over to him with my sc5m and told him it sucks (i hate SC). He showed me his truck and what he had done. He says, "As you can see I have done a few extra things...." I busted out laughing. His truck is nothing like the kit. Not even close. Custom made rear arms, custom front and rear sway bars and much more custom stuff, that is not bling. Then of course he had his usual custom bling mods he does to make it look nice. So if you ever see one of his setup sheets. You are not even getting half the picture, lol.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Amain order picking the B5MCE. Needed a kit to build for 17.5. Are the turnbuckles still tight on ball studs, lol, jkjk. If I had a nickel.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
It moves more weight over the rear which tightens up the car more then the shorter wheelbase reduces the turning radius.
Got it, thanks!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

yep, 90% of the crap I buy does not do crap. A few pieces lower motor temps and the rest is bling. The "Lite" comes with pretty much everything I need. I do like pucks and cut gears for 17.5. Mostly for some lower motor temps and more snap. I also prefer the Avid Slipper. I tried to go back to the AE slipper, but it was crappy. I didnt like it at all.

That being said, Rivkin beat everyone at JC stock nats without pucks. Unsure on cut gears, since I could not see in his gear box, lol. And owning tires, is only part of the equation at SRS. I have been aware for a while, but trying to ignore it, but tire prep is everything. I tried to use the stock foams and tires without any prep and it was not great. I keep seeing posts saying, "I bought the same tires the fast guys use...", while that may be true, that is only part of the tire program. I miss outdoor non sugar racing. Good Ole glue and go tires.
Even outdoor nowadays is a bit higher tech than glue and go. Most guys use a sauce of some sort and the tracks are covered in calcium to improve grip. Still not clay, but at least Florida heat is such that no matter what you put on a track surface, if it's outdoors, it will get baked off and by the third run after watering its dusty and begins to get loose so you must stay in the groove and maintain speed/momentum.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

I keep seeing posts saying, "I bought the same tires the fast guys use...", while that may be true, that is only part of the tire program. I miss outdoor non sugar racing. Good Ole glue and go tires.
The tire issues were the biggest change I noticed when I recently went to off-road carpet the first time. No tire sauce all day and I had stupidly high (and consistent) grip all day. I see now why most of Europe went to turf or carpet. It's the most fun I've had at the track in years, and I've been racing on and off-road since 1990. The only down side was re-learning not to huck the car sideways to setup the next corner.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Pulled the pin!!!!

B5M CE will be here On Friday. Lite Chassis, X-rings and JC Warrior body got here yesterday... Body will be going to the painter on Friday.

Thinking of just doing a completely new car with speedo, motor and servo..

Little girl is going to die of excitement! Wife.... not so much.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eddie_E
The tire issues were the biggest change I noticed when I recently went to off-road carpet the first time. No tire sauce all day and I had stupidly high (and consistent) grip all day. I see now why most of Europe went to turf or carpet. It's the most fun I've had at the track in years, and I've been racing on and off-road since 1990. The only down side was re-learning not to huck the car sideways to setup the next corner.

You did? You realize it's because it rains there almost everyday and maintaining an outdoor dirt track in those conditions is near impossible, right? Along with that the cost of having an indoor dirt facility is INSANE in Europe. Most of the free world doesn't race on carpet/astro because they WANT to, it's because they have to.

IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.