R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #16501
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
I was gonna say, Associated did it first! Losi just did a better job designing the battery tray, but it also took them nearly 2 years
The new tlr "looks" good. They took some things from the b5m, some stuff from Schelle (battery strap) and put together a decent car. How will it work on the track? That we dont know. I spent so much time trying to make the 22 series feel like my B5m does now, and it never happened. The B5M is very very good on my local tracks, so I have no real need to try the tlr car. I might drive someone else's just to see how it feels, but no really the same.

I also think that these new gen MM cars, need to have the optional fan mounts for 17.5. 3d printing is not quite there yet.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #16502
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Don't forget about the Centro car...
Don't forget about custom works. They built a mid motor 3 gear car long before any of them.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #16503
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice to see TLR includes a bunch of the upgrades AE chose to sell seperate
Old 11-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #16504
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Don't forget about custom works. They built a mid motor 3 gear car long before any of them.
Was referring to the mid motor, shorty sideways layout.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #16505
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
Nice to see TLR includes a bunch of the upgrades AE chose to sell seperate
huh? TLR comes with plastic hexes, B5M comes will alum. AE comes wit hTi turnbuckles, tlr comes with steel. What upgrades does the tlr come with, that the AE sells separately?
Old 11-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #16506
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
huh? TLR comes with plastic hexes, B5M comes will alum. AE comes wit hTi turnbuckles, tlr comes with steel. What upgrades does the tlr come with, that the AE sells separately?
I think the biggest one would be the RF and RR suspension hangers. About $45 worth of stuff from AE.

That's all I can think of...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #16507
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
We did dirt oval cars like that back in the 90's. We just popped a hole in the trans case and reversed the motors.
hobbyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #16508
Tech Regular

Quote:
For those of us that got an original 5m and not the lite we had to purchase all that separate. The TLR also include aluminum suspension mounts,ti shock shafts, and hinge pins(which aren't even available for the 5 yet) aluminum shock caps, upgraded bearings and machined pistons and buhings. I'm not trying to bash AE but I remember buying Factory team cars that came with almost every upgrade available and as good as the lite is it still isn't a full on FT car which several people are asking/waiting for
Old 11-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #16509
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

You all are also forgetting that you paid less for both the B5m and the B5m Lite.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #16510
Tech Regular

Nope Not forgetting that at all one of the main reasons I've always driven AE cars and will continue and honestly I'm not trying to complain AE just seems to be slow in coming out with SOME upgrades and versions of the 5 series. I.e. a FT and an RTR
Old 11-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #16511
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Agreed with most points, but I never bent a steel TLR turnbuckle. Yes its heavier, but since I have a B5M Lite for stock, the TLR car will be strictly for Mod buggy. Hexes are all that will be needed.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #16512
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
Nope Not forgetting that at all one of the main reasons I've always driven AE cars and will continue and honestly I'm not trying to complain AE just seems to be slow in coming out with SOME upgrades and versions of the 5 series. I.e. a FT and an RTR
The v2 shafts and machined pistons would be nice. As far as the shock shafts go, the team drives use the chrome shafts. And everyone says they perform better. So the TiN shafts are a meh. The Alum suspension holders are a nice, but by no means needed. I do like the C holder for a little easier settings changing. but to be honest, I never change that setting, so a one piece plastic piece is fine. The tlr cars looks good, but I have no plans on picking one up. And...AE has been updating the buggy in the first quarter, so you might see an updated car this February ish.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #16513
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Should be an interesting 2016 battle with the new car. I like the wing being forward and not so far back, looks like a nice idea. Don't know how well a rear tower will hold up being curved but time will tell. Don't know about the rear ball stud deal. Ballstuds look old compared to B5 platform . The battery compartment looks cool and AE could be there with a few minor tweaks if they wanted too. AE can now look at that car and make some changes if they look to be good changes. Nice to see updates, it pushes all manufacturers which gives us all great products. It was interesting to hear Frank Root talk about the benefit they saw from the 3 gear to 4 gear.

New B5MFL comes with all sorts of goodies. One upgrade that would be nice and worth an extra 10 bucks in the kit are the x rings and machined pistons that would make them top notch nothing better shock package from the box. Kashima and V2's not really needed but would take it over the top but cost prohibitive for sure.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #16514
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Agreed with most points, but I never bent a steel TLR turnbuckle. Yes its heavier, but since I have a B5M Lite for stock, the TLR car will be strictly for Mod buggy. Hexes are all that will be needed.
Competition is great. The B5M spurred TLR to make a dedicated MM car and to used some of the b5m features in the new car. If the car is really good, then AE might need to step in and up their game. I love the way AE and tlr push each other to be better. TLR still have that crappy plastic front tower that likes to break. That and the top plate were the parts I broke most. And they appear to be the same. I also wish they would have went to a standard 12mm front wheel. They already completely redid the front end.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #16515
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cridd View Post
Should be an interesting 2016 battle with the new car. I like the wing being forward and not so far back, looks like a nice idea. Don't know how well a rear tower will hold up being curved but time will tell. Don't know about the rear ball stud deal. Ballstuds look old compared to B5 platform . The battery compartment looks cool and AE could be there with a few minor tweaks if they wanted too. AE can now look at that car and make some changes if they look to be good changes. Nice to see updates, it pushes all manufacturers which gives us all great products. It was interesting to hear Frank Root talk about the benefit they saw from the 3 gear to 4 gear.

New B5MFL comes with all sorts of goodies. One upgrade that would be nice and worth an extra 10 bucks in the kit are the x rings and machined pistons that would make them top notch nothing better shock package from the box. Kashima and V2's not really needed but would take it over the top but cost prohibitive for sure.
Yeah, the TLR does come with shocks that are fully upgraded with xrings and machined pistons. Maybe that will be an update on the next iteration of the b5m.