Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imajerky
I run esc back under the brace, battery forward. I found that running inline this way kept the chassis flat in corners, was very predictable in corners and had fantastic steering. I run on a med/high traction indoor track, traction is fairly consistent. Just kind of depends on the night. I felt the inline set up kept the body from rolling excessively, I used the analogy of the car "stepping in a hole" previously. Inline keeps the car flat in air also, jumps/lands with ease.

As far as ways to drop some weight, I have used the following

Things that improve function and drop weight.
Ti turnbuckles
Slipper eliminator. I use ceramic diff balls, no drop in how long the diff has lasted so far without a slipper (17.5 is easier on internals)
MIP pucks system
Alum topshaft

Things that are cool and drop weight
Lunsford Ti screws. Spendy but amazing quality. Look dope.
Lunsford Ti Axles. Again, amazing quality.

Things most people do not think about that lose grams
Amount of paint on your body. If you are looking for bare minimum, mind how much paint you apply when painting
Chassis protector weighs approx. 14 grams

My car weighs in at 1520-30g depending on tires used. I run a cheap HK 17.5 and cheap HK batteries, car is fast. No problems with being outmotored, car is light.
I have been going back and forth on the chassis protector. I pulled mine off last night to do some work on the car. The I spent 20 minutes with goo gone trying to get the adhesive off. I tossed my used chassis protector on the scale an it weighted 18 grams. So far I have replaced 3 chassis protectors for a total cost of $20ish. I could almost buy a new chassis on ebay at this point. Plus the clay does not stick to the chassis like it does the chassis protector. I am 1515 grams without the chassis protector and clay tires.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I have been going back and forth on the chassis protector. I pulled mine off last night to do some work on the car. The I spent 20 minutes with goo gone trying to get the adhesive off. I tossed my used chassis protector on the scale an it weighted 18 grams. So far I have replaced 3 chassis protectors for a total cost of $20ish. I could almost buy a new chassis on ebay at this point. Plus the clay does not stick to the chassis like it does the chassis protector. I am 1515 grams without the chassis protector and clay tires.
Stop paying for chassis protectors, which will break the bank. Use what I use!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Scotchrap...item566c21cb7e

(this is the 10mil thick tape.. im 90% sure im running the 10mil, and not the 20mil... but im not 100% positive. I can look later. 10mil = 1/4mm, 20mil = 1/2mm).

This roll has lasted me YEARS. You simply lay it out along the chassis, keep it centered, and cut it to fit the length of the car (clean chassis with alcohol first). Then simply trim to match the shape/edges of the chassis with an exacto. It resticks countless times (never seems to lose its sticky qualities), and leaves no residue. I change mine out every month or two, and cut a new piece. I think I got my roll in 2011 and it still looks 90% full.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Stop paying for chassis protectors, which will break the bank. Use what I use!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Scotchrap...item566c21cb7e

(this is the 10mil thick tape.. im 90% sure im running the 10mil, and not the 20mil... but im not 100% positive. I can look later).

This roll has lasted me YEARS. You simply lay it out and cut it to fit the length of the car, and you stick it down (clean with alcohol first). Then simply trim to match the chassis with an exacto. It resticks countless times (never seems to lose its sticky qualities), and leaves no residue. I change mine out every month or two, and cut a new piece. I think I got my roll in 2011 and it still looks 90% full.
How much weight does it add? Is it lighter?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by deftones.jt@gma
How much weight does it add? Is it lighter?
Is it lighter than a chassis protector? Doubt it... My car is 1519 grams with the black tape protector on. I need to add weight, myself... so for me, it's a non-issue. Might be slightly heavier than a chassis protector.. maybe a gram or two?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My bearings in the right front hub exploded after 3 weeks of running, I saw my wheel come off so I figures the nut came off haha nope, the nut was still on attached to the axel and when I took apart I found the out bearing race still in the hubs.. It was interesting
Old 12-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Out of curiosity why are u going thru so Manu chass protectors? I run the xfactory carbon fiber chassis so it's more important to have one. Carbon fiber wears faster. I still get at least 1 season or maybe 2 out of them.

The Only portion that seams to wear fast is the tail piece. So I make a cut there and replace just the tail piece when it's worn out. I just buy generic sized chassis protectors so I have some left over. I actually get my chassis protectors from SOR Graphics. They are extremely durable compared to a lot of why's out there. I'm sure other companies make compatible products. I just haven't seen them.

I don't think the chassis protectors are needed near as much with the aluminum chassis. The aluminum holds up well. I don't use a chassis protector on my Losi 22-4 and it still looka good for how many times I have ended up rail sliding the pipes when I miscalculated a jump.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Justinb86
Out of curiosity why are u going thru so Manu chass protectors? I run the xfactory carbon fiber chassis so it's more important to have one. Carbon fiber wears faster. I still get at least 1 season or maybe 2 out of them.

The Only portion that seams to wear fast is the tail piece. So I make a cut there and replace just the tail piece when it's worn out. I just buy generic sized chassis protectors so I have some left over. I actually get my chassis protectors from SOR Graphics. They are extremely durable compared to a lot of why's out there. I'm sure other companies make compatible products. I just haven't seen them.

I don't think the chassis protectors are needed near as much with the aluminum chassis. The aluminum holds up well. I don't use a chassis protector on my Losi 22-4 and it still looka good for how many times I have ended up rail sliding the pipes when I miscalculated a jump.
Yeah, I only use it to keep the chassis nice. But you are correct, on damn clay, on the rear tail plate takes abuse. All you really need is a tail piece to cover 90% of the dmg. That link that capt linked might work great for making tail pieces.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justinb86

My local track has a lot of rocks in their dirt. Scratches up the alu chassis pretty good/quick.

Also, I know for myself, I go through chassis protectors not from use, but from maintenance on the car, having to get to screws and such. I won't cut holes in the protector for the screws. I will usually just replace the protector when I have to get to screws. I'm a little picky when it comes to my cars though.

Seth
Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is there anything else people are changing when doing the slipper eliminate? Drive it differently? Is it harder on the car?

I plan on moving the battery forward in the car, esc behind. A, lighter. Less length of the 13 gauge wire. B, get the car to rotate and have more mid corner rotation vs. Feeling stuck. C, if I do get a slipper eliminator, less ease of the front wheels coming up...at least, in theory.

Car currently weighs 1549 grams. So 49 grams to go. Already have the light top shaft, mip puck setup, ti front axles. Lightened Motor plate.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Yeah, I only use it to keep the chassis nice. But you are correct, on damn clay, on the rear tail plate takes abuse. All you really need is a tail piece to cover 90% of the dmg. That link that capt linked might work great for making tail pieces.
So really all that is needed is a nice thin rear skid plate? Hmmm....

I wonder if these guys could make something up to fit?
http://www.deracing.net/store/index....ory&path=25_28
Old 12-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by thecman26
So really all that is needed is a nice thin rear skid plate? Hmmm....

I wonder if these guys could make something up to fit?
http://www.deracing.net/store/index....ory&path=25_28
maybe, but you could get the JC clear chassis tape and make about 20 rear cover pieces, lol.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 99 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
It has to do with the crush sleeve in between the two bearings in the hub being out of tolerance. Solution is place (1) .20mm shim along with crush tube. This will give the additional support the bearings need when you tighten down the wheel.

I tried adding a spacer and still the same result. Will contact AE and see if a running change has been made on the crush tube and order new bearings.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by isarctard
I tried adding a spacer and still the same result. Will contact AE and see if a running change has been made on the crush tube and order new bearings.

Thanks for all the input.
To be honest i think the kit bearings a just a hair sub par. As soon as i put schelle bearings in my cars all the sudden no more bearing issues but with the same hubs and steering blocks.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Skeeter36
To be honest i think the kit bearings a just a hair sub par. As soon as i put schelle bearings in my cars all the sudden no more bearing issues but with the same hubs and steering blocks.
I tried after market bearing also...same result. the axle is not aligned correctly in the bearings.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I must say I'm amazed how differently my B5RM and my B5M went together.

For my rear motor car, I didn't like the idea of crushing the ball cups to make them fit nicely. So I found an older Ti ball stud, put some tooth paste on it and chucked it in my dremel and lapped each ball cup until they were perfect...my B5M ball cups are spot on without any lapping needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.