R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 10-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #16111
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man1ac View Post
I think I will go without the lite at first. Put up the best setup a novice-setup-finder can find, but after I added alle prices to one, I am thinking of getting a secon b4.2rs for my girlfriend.

Team Associated B5M inkl Servo 325$
Reedy 8.5T SONIC 540 ''Mach 2'' Sensor ''R''Serie 110$
SPX BL Super Reverse 110$
7,4V 5100mAh 25C Saddle Pack LiPo, GensAce (2x) 80$
RX Spektrum 201 33$
20Z 48DP Motorritzel Aluminium, TLR 10$
Proline Hole Shot 30$

Kind of sad, had everything sorted out, except the RTR pricetag
You are so close to a top notch setup why not spend a couple extra bucks now and get a top notch setup?

Get a mach 3 not a mach 2.

For another $60 you can get a competition speed control like a Tekin.

Are you sure you want to run saddle packs? That $80 can buy a quality reedy/lrp/venom/etc. shorty. Shorty's are lighter.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #16112
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
You are so close to a top notch setup why not spend a couple extra bucks now and get a top notch setup?

Get a mach 3 not a mach 2.

Are you sure you want to run saddle packs? That $80 can buy a quality reedy/lrp/venom/etc. shorty. Shorty's are lighter.
I would get a hobbywing v3.1 stock spec. the orion shorty is priced well and is decent for mod.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #16113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Better yet for Motor and ESC Combo for PEANUTS and is beast!!!!

Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 ESC and V4 motor on eBay. (17.5 read below)
You can buy both for under $130 shipped! NOTHING come close to that value in any capacity.

I strongly suggest you go with a 17.5 motor if you plan on racing because 17.5 is where you NEED to start off at. 8.5 is a ton of motor for a newby and when you're out in the parking lot messing around you can add boost for much faster running. I have experience and had to go back to 17.5 from my 8. motor. Mod is really tough and you need to have enough experience before making the jump to racing Mod.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #16114
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Well I've been told that some of the top pro drivers are fortunate they have the ability to drive toy cars so well because they can't tune worth of crap and are USELESS in providing technical feedback to the engineers for improving the product, so I'd say they can just drive so exceptionally well they can take a RadioShaq Tyco and whoop up similarly well.
Care to divulge who told you this or whom they were speaking of? Specifically the useless to the engineers part because even If a driver cant tune and someone else sets up his car he can still tell them that last change you made made the car loose or tight or suck at a certain jump which may not be the best info but its better than nothing
Old 10-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #16115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 485 (100%+)

Quote:
Well I've been told that some of the top pro drivers are fortunate they have the ability to drive toy cars so well because they can't tune worth of crap and are USELESS in providing technical feedback to the engineers for improving the product, so I'd say they can just drive so exceptionally well they can take a RadioShaq Tyco and whoop up similarly well.
That's nonsense. This RC not NASCAR. You can't be a Pro without knowing a thing or two about setup and tire selection. Most of the pros are pros specifically because they know how to set up a car. RC drivers don't have crew chiefs and teams of people to build their cars. I know a lot of top guys and the only thing most of them will let somebody else do is glue up tires. There are a lot of guys who can take a crap car and drive it well but when you are a pro that's pretty much the difference between you and almost all of the 50% drivers out there.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #16116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
That's nonsense. This RC not NASCAR. You can't be a Pro without knowing a thing or two about setup and tire selection. Most of the pros are pros specifically because they know how to set up a car. RC drivers don't have crew chiefs and teams of people to build their cars. I know a lot of top guys and the only thing most of them will let somebody else do is glue up tires. There are a lot of guys who can take a crap car and drive it well but when you are a pro that's pretty much the difference between you and almost all of the 50% drivers out there.
I think you might be misinformed, I know of a few companies who groom young kids to be future Champs with personal mechanics and all. The kids never learn to work on the cars they just drive them. Sure they pick up a few things over time but not as much as you would think. Xray and yokomo have been doing it for years and I'm sure some of the American companies do it to.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #16117
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

B5m guys, B5m
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #16118
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
Also don't cheap out on the receiver!
You can find SR 3100's on ebay for $25-30!
Also why not a Mach 3?
Btw whats a Motorritzel? Nevermind. Pinion.
FYI SMC sells a saddle pack thats way better at almost half the cost $50!
I coudlnt find the mach 3 here in germany, the mach 2 is all there is! The SR310 costs 40$ in germany, thats why I chose the 2 channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post

I looked for saddle packs in my local store and they are just nearly twice es expensive

Quote:
Better yet for Motor and ESC Combo for PEANUTS and is beast!!!!

Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 ESC and V4 motor on eBay. (17.5 read below)
You can buy both for under $130 shipped! NOTHING come close to that value in any capacity.
Could not find the combo available in germany, just some store in england for around 210$

But anyway thanks a lot guys! But please understand one thing: We're talking here about a shitload of money and I am trying to keep it to a maximum 700$ (the combo I posted is 680$). I'd like to set even some limit, because I definitely dont need the top notch stuff. There are way too many ifs in my scenario to spent just as much as possible.

My problem is, my girlfriend wants something for birthday next month and she kind of said: Get me a rc car
So now I am thinking 2 scenarios:

1) Go down the 700$ Road, geht a 2nd car by this and give the B4.2RS to my girlfriend (Addition costs 700$ )
2) Salvage the electronics of the B4.2RS and stuff'em into the B5M Chassis. So i'd have a better chassis, big bores and "newer technolgy" with a starter electronic setup. The B4.2RS roller gets filled with some bang-for-the-buck Turnigy Hobbyking Combo (dont know which atm). After that birthdays and christmas can pass and I can start upgrading the B5M to my needs (goal: the 700$ Setup posted above - so I wont spend 700$ at once)
3) I could by a B4.2 FT Roller for about 200$ and make 1 driveable FT-Pro-Setup B4.2 and upgrade the newly added B4.2 with Hobbyking stuff (so I'd have two same cars (nearly)).

Sorry if I cant upgrade according to your plans, it seems that quite often I cant buy the stuff here in germany.
Someone mentioned to buy some stuff here in this forum: Good idea but often there is the problem with international shipping and I need to pay taxes (roughly 20%) when the package arrives and the value exceeds 30$
man1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:14 AM   #16119
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just get a B5M lite, put the Turnigy electronics in there (it will probably be better than the 4.2 electronics), and there you go.

If you're girlfriend's hot, give her the new B5M. If not, give her the B4.2

You don't need $300 electronics, you just started, you're not trying to race in the World's championship here. The Turnigy stuff is just fine for your purposes.
tsair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #16120
Tech Regular

Any good suggestions which turnigy stuff you would recommend? I think (hope) this one should be "near" the mach2....and adding this ESC

I agree 100% to you, but I don't want to buy stuff twice because I spent not enough (seems to be a danger I am facing when equpping hobbykind stuff - atlthough my airplanes work flawless!). That why I thought the mach 2 will be a good buy. It has been top notch, now there Mach 3 (which doenst make the mach 2 "bad"), so I can save a few bucks and still have "above average")
Old 10-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #16121
Tech Regular

Quote:
Any good suggestions which turnigy stuff you would recommend? I think (hope) this one should be "near" the mach2....and adding this ESC

I agree 100% to you, but I don't want to buy stuff twice because I spent not enough (seems to be a danger I am facing when equpping hobbykind stuff - atlthough my airplanes work flawless!). That why I thought the mach 2 will be a good buy. It has been top notch, now there Mach 3 (which doenst make the mach 2 "bad"), so I can save a few bucks and still have "above average")
Both of those are great choices. You can't go wrong for the price. I started on a similar setup with the 120A ESC and a 17.5 Trackstar.

While you're there, pick up a couple shorty batteries, a charger, and a radio if you don't already have those. The Turnigy batteries are great and mine are still working after more than a year.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #16122
Tech Regular

The shortys arent rated very well, so I am going to stick with these or maybe I am going to spent that 20$ extra for 2 short sticks, they weight 80grams less.

Got the pricing range down to 480$ but I a giving up parts of the B4.2RS (not ideal)
Old 10-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #16123
Tech Regular

Quote:
The shortys arent rated very well, so I am going to stick with these
Not sure which shorties you are speaking of but the better ones have much better discharge amperage than those Gens Ace saddle packs you posted. Plus, the Gens Ace are nearly 300 grams which is pretty heavy for a sub four pound buggy. You would be much better off buying the Turnigy batteries from Hobby King in a shorty configuration, lower weight better discharge rating.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Approved_.html

This is a great battery, tons of these being used at my local track and they are not lacking in either stock or mod. Had I known of Hobby King when I got back into the sport a couple months ago I would have bought two of these for every single Orion 4500 I bought. I did buy a new 1/8th scale buggy and got two of the larger version of this battery and they perform well in high amperage applications. Buy a quality balance charger, set your ESC to a proper discharge level and they will last you a long time.

One of the local racers uses Hobby King ESC, Motors and batteries almost exclusively. The local track recently had a two day race called, Top Gun. He raced both 1/10th buggy and 1/8th scale light (uses 550 brushless Short Course motors and 2S lipos). He was doing well in 1/10th scale and broke something in the main but with his Hobby King equipped 1/8th scale he took second place against a sea of Tekin based buggies who's equipment cost three times more.

Unless you have quite a bit of time running a 2WD buggy, I would highly suggest running a 17.5 for a while or you'll just be braking it with that 8.5 turn motor. Trackstar has a 17.5 which a few folks run at our track with good results in stock class racing.

Here is a ESC and motor combo for a great price, good one to start off on in stock racing or just playing around.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...bo_17_5T_.html

One trick to shopping at Hobby King is open the window to the item you want to buy, than leave that window open for five minutes or so. Hobby King will lower the price with a popup window and you'll save a few dollars for each item you purchase. Good luck with what ever you decide to do..
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #16124
Tech Regular

Just read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyking User
Terrible terrible product. Bought four of these batteries, 32 days later ( 2 days out of warranty ) the negative terminal melted on one of the batteries. 2 months later all four have melted negative terminals. Insuffient casing support around the 5mm ports. Don't waste your money like I did
I think I'll stick to the 8.5 even though its quite powerful. I am going to train with my DX4C and the B4.2RS so I think the next step should be the 8.5T (and this kind of motor is often suggested for the B5M (the Sonic Mach 2).)
Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #16125
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

So the new Pro-line Predator body looks sweet! However, Tower currently has it listed for $29.99? C'mon!?! A 1/10th buggy body for thirty bucks? That's short course crazy talk. The stock body is $13.99?