R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 10-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #15991
Tech Adept

I think it's a pretty good bet that they at least release a laydown conversion. The car looked above and beyond the rest and carpet/astro is getting more "traction" (see what I did there, LOL) as a racing surface, so it would make business sense to do it. Another little detail that would tell me such is the JC release of the S2 body for the "worlds car". I have the Reds Low Rider trans, and the car handles great, but being 3d printed it has a little play on the idler and can skip gears.
indybobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #15992
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think they will release something, traction is going up at a lot of tracks in the U.S. my local track SRS's clay surface is very high grip, In fact I am very curious if a lay down trans would have any benefit at our track. there are already several carpet tracks popping up in the States and in my opinion think that it will keep growing as it does have a lot of advantages, has its disadvantages also but if I had 2 tracks to choose from one clay/dirt and one carpet/astro I know I would try the carpet and would probably be more inclined to go to the carpet track.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #15993
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Laydown transmission is for really high grip. People who own the YZ-2 are converting to standard MM transmission from the previous Yokomo 2WD to make them work. If you race on carpet or turf, then it's perfect but if race on clay you'll be spinning your wheels...literally.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #15994
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
Laydown transmission is for really high grip. People who own the YZ-2 are converting to standard MM transmission from the previous Yokomo 2WD to make them work. If you race on carpet or turf, then it's perfect but if race on clay you'll be spinning your wheels...literally.
If you run the SMC brass weight kit it was wonderful.

NO NEED TO CHANGE TO THE OLD YOKOMO B-max style Transmission Layout.

It works on low to med. traction. And works great on High bit.

Yokomo YZ-2

More info sir.

After spending 2 weeks testing the YZ-2 and the YZmax I've come to the conclusion that the way I have my YZ-2 setup it's every bit as good if not better than the YZmax.

Yokomo YZ-2

And the track I run is HARD CLAY And I don't spin my wheels at all.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #15995
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by the incubus View Post
Really, overall technology today is such that most high-end products from competing manufacturers of a given industry are so close in most ways, if you know one, you can easily learn a competitor's product with minimal effort.

If you know how to set up a Losi car, you can set up an Associated car. HOWEVER, having owned both brands dating back to the original RC10 and the JRx2 (yes been doing this for a VERY long time), of their modern offerings, I think you will acclimate to the B5 so easily because the car is just flat out better in how it performs. That slight push the 22 always tends to want to exude isn't present in the Associated cars and the car goes where you want it to. If you know what tires work best on the 22 for your local tracks, the same tires should be even better on the Associated car because it is generally an easier platform to drive.

I bought a 22 and spent all the money to buy every single upgrade part for it and tuned and tweaked it endlessly looking for that magic adjustment that would make the car turn the way I was used to and in the end, the only adjustment that did it was trading it for a B4.2. Even with all the slop on that thing it was just easier to drive and set up, though I removed 85% of the slop by replacing all ball Balls and cups with TLR ones all around.

Hope this helps ease your mind and talk you off the fence.

I'm running the PRS1 currently and I love it but with Associated's improved quality with the B5 and the new Laydown Tranny, I am going to buy one and compare. If it's as good as it seems, I will sell my son's PRS1 and by himont too and one for my wife.

If not, YZ-2 or PRS1 V3, here I come! LOL
Currently my "lite" runs circles around my older 210. I prefer it over the B5M. It uses the rear motor B5 arms which gives it more grip, and it's lighter, more nimble, and with less weight so I can clear jumps easier or make the triples where the heavier cars can't.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #15996
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Wow, that's a lot of brass Motorman! But if it works, hey, it works.

For AE to produce this lay down transmission they'd need to mold what, two transmission halves with the shock tower brace built into it, a new larger idler gear, a waterfall brace and cut a carbon fibre rear tower. Anything else? That's not a ton of work for them in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I know making a plastic mold is expensive, but so was making a 3 gear and look how that has gone.

I think carpet and Astro will only grow in popularity as we need them up here in areas above the snow belt, and with the added costs of finding indoor spaces to race, we often only have a place for a season or two before the rent gets too high and we're looking for a new home. Rolling up carpet is a lot easier and land lord friendlier than clay. It also gets those guys from on-road in on the action, you know they hate to get dirty! Some guys hate the fact that a track can jump up and bite them, they want to battle other drivers, not the track as well. I'm not one of those afraid of clay, we have an amazing covered clay track in my town, but until you have tried a consistent surface, or lost your track to high rent or winter, you know you do what ya gotta do to race, which sometimes means carpet.
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power

Last edited by HeavyD99; 10-14-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Coat rack? I meant clay track!
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #15997
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
If you run the SMC brass weight kit it was wonderful.

NO NEED TO CHANGE TO THE OLD YOKOMO B-max style Transmission Layout.

It works on low to med. traction. And works great on High bit.

Yokomo YZ-2

More info sir.

After spending 2 weeks testing the YZ-2 and the YZmax I've come to the conclusion that the way I have my YZ-2 setup it's every bit as good if not better than the YZmax.

Yokomo YZ-2

And the track I run is HARD CLAY And I don't spin my wheels at all.
How did I get here I don't remember clicking on any Yok thread

That's 102.9 grams! Plus the option to add another 60g with the battery weights. If you need to add that much weight, why run the lay down tranny. It might work, but it's not what I would do.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #15998
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

They would also have to offer up a chassis as I doubt they would include a template for the user to have to drill out their own holes for all the new mounting locations. It would have to be a regular b5m chassis and not the lite as to offer more meat around the new holes...not that hard to do either. I think it would be cool to own a replica of the car but like others have said....they don't "owe" it to us.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #15999
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
How did I get here I don't remember clicking on any Yok thread

That's 102.9 grams! Plus the option to add another 60g with the battery weights. If you need to add that much weight, why run the lay down tranny. It might work, but it's not what I would do.
LOL sorry.

Just want to share some info that was it.

No harm..

And yes its a lot a DANG Weight. But it works.

OK back to the Laydown Tranny.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #16000
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

So this is the secret to making the laydown transmission work?
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-cinderblock.jpg  

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #16001
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmuck69 View Post
So this is the secret to making the laydown transmission work?
That's what the TLR guys had to do

In all seriousness. If you're local TLR guys are running 22's with no brass, a lay down tranny might work on your track. Only track, dirt track, I can think of might be SRS in Az, and I think an indoor track in Florida runs on slicks too. Beachline maybe? Not sure..

You've gotta have serious grip to run a "center motor/laydown" set up..IMO (without having to add tons of weight)

Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #16002
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The first company to release a low profile transmission not 3D printed and doesn't run their company through facebook gets everyones business.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #16003
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
The first company to release a low profile transmission not 3D printed and doesn't run their company through facebook gets everyones business.
Just to clarify, when you say "everyone" you mean those who actually have a use for a lay down tranny.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #16004
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Just to clarify, when you say "everyone" you mean those who actually have a use for a lay down tranny.
Right
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #16005
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
Wow, that's a lot of brass Motorman! But if it works, hey, it works.

For AE to produce this lay down transmission they'd need to mold what, two transmission halves with the shock tower brace built into it, a new larger idler gear, a waterfall brace and cut a carbon fibre rear tower. Anything else? That's not a ton of work for them in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I know making a plastic mold is expensive, but so was making a 3 gear and look how that has gone.

I think carpet and Astro will only grow in popularity as we need them up here in areas above the snow belt, and with the added costs of finding indoor spaces to race, we often only have a place for a season or two before the rent gets too high and we're looking for a new home. Rolling up carpet is a lot easier and land lord friendlier than clay. It also gets those guys from on-road in on the action, you know they hate to get dirty! Some guys hate the fact that a track can jump up and bite them, they want to battle other drivers, not the track as well. I'm not one of those afraid of clay, we have an amazing covered coat rack in my town, but until you have tried a consistent surface, or lost your track to high rent or winter, you know you do what ya gotta do to race, which sometimes means carpet.
That is spot on.... Here we struggle to bring in new racers and our track is not in a prime location. I have wondered if a carpet track in a better location would grow the hobby. Good locations often means a landlord will not let you bring dirt in. I am not a carpet fan but whatever grows the hobby is best.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote