R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree16Likes

Old 10-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #15901
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokarter64 View Post
its not specifically rivkins car but it is the same stuff ae used on on their cars for the worlds
Cite please - post a pic of Rivkin or Cav's car with the body off.

BT and Kody said they used the Reds Work Shop setup at warmup, but made some changes to it and built their own.

You can not buy the setup Rivkin, Cav and Kody were running.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #15902
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wonder what the lowered shocks were for... up travel limiting to prevent traction rolling? Certainly not additional down travel, right? Wouldn't that be about the worst thing ever on that surface? While I won't be racing on this surface any time soon, I'm definitely interested in the setups they used.

EDIT: Figured out why they lowered the shocks down: The rear hubs mount the arm lower in relation to the axle so the shocks need to be moved down to allow the wheel to retain similar down travel as before.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #15903
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Probably close to our carpet setup state side. 1.6/1.7 35/30wt. Blue springs all the way around.

Actually know Spencer was running orange/blue
3srcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #15904
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post

BT and Kody said they used the Reds Work Shop setup at warmup, but made some changes to it and built their own.

all according to red. as far as we know the only difference between the two is the new carbon rear tower with the shocks on front of the arms
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #15905
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:

all according to red. as far as we know the only difference between the two is the new carbon rear tower with the shocks on front of the arms
There is actually quiet a few differences, some subtle and some more obvious and all work to further enhance the cars performance for the turf. Saying its the same transmission and such as the reds setup would be a bit misleading.

These modified B5Ms were only done for a Rivkin, Cav, Cragg, Hartson, McBride, and Kody. However, other non-salary team members ran a Reds setup.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #15906
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:

Quote:

That pic is NOT Cav, Kody or Rivkin's car.

Like I said - they did NOT use the Red's setup at worlds - they used the red's for testing, then made their own.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #15907
Tech Adept

Quote:
That pic is NOT Cav, Kody or Rivkin's car.

Like I said - they did NOT use the Red's setup at worlds - they used the red's for testing, then made their own.
sorry for the misleading writing in my og post but i meant to say it was reds version of the worlds 2wd. he made changes to the gearbox and hubs that are pretty cool and add a lot of adjustment. idk what geometry changes ae made for the top guys's cars but they certainly worked.
gokarter64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 PM   #15908
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Currently running a B5M Lite with Rivkins OC/RC jconcepts stock nas setup, don't feel like im getting the amount of mid-corner steering I should. Any ideas on what to change from that particular setup to make it more aggressive mid corner?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #15909
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I thought I read somewhere buried in Red RC's coverage that the "salary/Factory" Associated guys were running prototype pre-production Associated made gear boxes, hence the forward mounting shock tower off a B44. So they were custom made by the team, and they might eventually release them as an option part is what I understood.

Everyone else at the worlds driving an Associated branded car used the Reds setup posted above, but not the Factory drivers. The two setups are vastly different.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #15910
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
I thought I read somewhere buried in Red RC's coverage that the "salary/Factory" Associated guys were running prototype pre-production Associated made gear boxes, hence the forward mounting shock tower off a B44. So they were custom made by the team, and they might eventually release them as an option part is what I understood.

Everyone else at the worlds driving an Associated branded car used the Reds setup posted above, but not the Factory drivers. The two setups are vastly different.
Yes, that is mostly correct, only the salary guys got 'Factory modified' B5M's, which were specifically optimized for astroturf. Also, the rear tower is not off of a B44, it was custom.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #15911
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to skrichter

Found this pic from Worlds. This car has a few new JC items - chassis, shock caps, shock collars, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-jconcepts_new-products.jpg  
Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #15912
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrichter View Post
Found this pic from Worlds. This car has a few new JC items - chassis, shock caps, shock collars, etc.
Also, those nifty new JConcepts cv drive shafts. Would love to get my hands on that chassis to test on some high grip clay.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #15913
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Currently running a B5M Lite with Rivkins OC/RC jconcepts stock nas setup, don't feel like im getting the amount of mid-corner steering I should. Any ideas on what to change from that particular setup to make it more aggressive mid corner?
First think I would change is a simple roll center change to the front of the car. The best way to lower the roll center in the middle of the corner, but not necessarily change it at initial input, is to maintain the same static camber link angle, but lengthen it. This will minimize how much the roll center rises, the more the car leans.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #15914
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
First think I would change is a simple roll center change to the front of the car. The best way to lower the roll center in the middle of the corner, but not necessarily change it at initial input, is to maintain the same static camber link angle, but lengthen it. This will minimize how much the roll center rises, the more the car leans.
For more aggresive mid to corner-exit steering I usually prefer to raise the rear roll center. Either taking out 1-2mm off the inner rear camber link or perhaps even going a half hole shorter off the hub. However, if you go to far the car can become much more twitchy to drive and almost 'wandery'.

By raising the rear roll center relative to the front roll center you are inclining the roll axis even more so that more weight is transferred to the outside front tire along with quicker weight transfer side -to-side in the rear making the car feel more 'responsive'.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #15915
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patiofurniture View Post
Yes, that is mostly correct, only the salary guys got 'Factory modified' B5M's, which were specifically optimized for astroturf. Also, the rear tower is not off of a B44, it was custom.
My mistake, at first couple glances it looked like a B44 tower, but after looking at it more it does look custom. Interested to see some body off pics or know if the kit will ever be available as an option
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote