R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 10-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #15856
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
anyone know how to put the front axle height to up postion?
U need the schelle bushing pieces
http://www.schelleracing.com/Associa...ng-Set-SCH1087
Old 10-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #15857
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedychris22 View Post
Thanks chris i couldnt figure out how that was done. Thank you
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #15858
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER View Post
anyone know how to put the front axle height to up postion?
or Associated Part #: 91403
will5879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #15859
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5879 View Post
or Associated Part #: 91403
Great thank you.
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #15860
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post
That's a B5 to B5M Heavy conversion though, right?

I just added up the parts. I think the conversion kit + chassis, 3 gear, motor plate is about $80, so you can get close for about $160. Still no titanium turnbuckles or HD axles that I forgot to include in the original list.

Seems like the cheapest option is to just sell the B5 for $100 or whatever and buy a new kit.

You never can upgrade a car it seems for a good value. Always best to sell it and upgrade the whole kit used or new.

Earlier this year I looked in a NIB RC8B I had to upgrade to RC8.2 and B44.2 to B44.3 and not worth it at all. Parts add up to usually about a new kit price.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #15861
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default stock buggy

What is the best batterey to use for 17.5 stock?
Jspires688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #15862
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A guy that I race with has ALL the Integy stuff on his car....it is a tank
Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #15863
Tech Regular

Anyone used a torque gauge to measure diff tightness. I know you can get screwdriver/wrench torque gauges. Seems like a reliable way to get the tightness right.

There are cheap ones out there.
http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Torque-Wrench-Gauge-Angular/214307

Just an idea. What do you think? Could you hold 1 wheel and twist the other with the gauge. To get a reading.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #15864
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quick question, B5M lite, car is purpose built to run with my Yokomo isn't completely hooked up. Tried running a Nova slipper on it, and the back little plate is rubbing on the motor plate turns out I have about .05mm play on the top shaft that is causing it to rub, doesn't the top shaft on this car sit tight with no side to side play in the diff case? I remember my old B5M didn't have this problem, nowhere in the manual did I see to run a shim anywhere. And ideas would help.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #15865
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Anyone used a torque gauge to measure diff tightness. I know you can get screwdriver/wrench torque gauges. Seems like a reliable way to get the tightness right.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...Angular/214307

Just an idea. What do you think? Could you hold 1 wheel and twist the other with the gauge. To get a reading.
Or just go by feel, which works better.

That's a nylock on the diff, if the nylock is a little tight, or a little loose, your torque gauge won't be able to account for that.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #15866
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Quick question, B5M lite, car is purpose built to run with my Yokomo isn't completely hooked up. Tried running a Nova slipper on it, and the back little plate is rubbing on the motor plate turns out I have about .05mm play on the top shaft that is causing it to rub, doesn't the top shaft on this car sit tight with no side to side play in the diff case? I remember my old B5M didn't have this problem, nowhere in the manual did I see to run a shim anywhere. And ideas would help.
This is pretty easy - pull apart the transmission and see where the play is. You don't want it super tight in the cases, however just like anything, shim to perfection.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #15867
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Had that same issue with my Sc5m but not the B5m lite. The tolerance from each kit always are a little off but a little shimming can cure a lot of ill's.
shadowracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #15868
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
The topshaft has some play, so you can add a 3/16" axle shim to space out the slipper. Also you can pull the shaft out to make sure the bearing is completely seated into the case. If you don't have a shim email [email protected] and we'll mail you some shims.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #15869
Tech Regular

Quote:

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...Angular/214307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Or just go by feel, which works better.

That's a nylock on the diff, if the nylock is a little tight, or a little loose, your torque gauge won't be able to account for that.
The Nylock can be solved for. Nut with no Nylock or have the nut flush against the wheel.

The problem with feel is it is so subjective. What is loose, what is medium what is tight. Let alone what is medium tight to me may be loose to you.

They are cheap enough that I might just give one a try. I'd love to be able to replicate diff tightness from diff build to diff build. Hopefully, get rid off the flick test. Which while adequate is too subjective.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #15870
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
The Nylock can be solved for. Nut with no Nylock or have the nut flush against the wheel.

The problem with feel is it is so subjective. What is loose, what is medium what is tight. Let alone what is medium tight to me may be loose to you.

They are cheap enough that I might just give one a try. I'd love to be able to replicate diff tightness from diff build to diff build. Hopefully, get rid off the flick test. Which while adequate is too subjective.
Volition,

A group of us tried using a torque wrench with mixed results. Let us know what you find. I personally go by feel.
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote