R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #15766
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooba View Post
Being concerned about looks on a racecar is stupid.
that depends if you are in first place it does not matter, if in last place than make it look good.

I always say, form over function my friend.
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #15767
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can I get recommendations on gearing, I'm running a team powers 7.5 motor, currently using 81/23, timing on motor is at 0*, our track is carpet high traction small/medium in size
Also some chassis setup choices for carpet would be great too
Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #15768
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When is it appropriate to change gearing vs endbell timing vs esc timing. What is the advantage of changing one over the other or what's the difference in changing each.
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #15769
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/view_article/20

This might be helpful, -Tim
dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 AM   #15770
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just ordered B5M Factory Lite. Does the kit come with X-rings?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:47 AM   #15771
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No it doesn't and not either the updates ball cups, still as stiff as the old ones
Hobbywing
#kiwipaint on facebook
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:55 AM   #15772
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

It does not come with x-rings.
My kit that I got in August came with good ball cups, I didn't have to do anything to them for the suspension to be free.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #15773
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:30 AM   #15774
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ill be starting my build on the b5m lite this week. I know the bearings were in question for the original kit. I see the lite comes with upgraded bearings, are they any good?
Also has anyone tried removing the seals or at least one seal for the transmission bearings since they are not exposed to the elements to free up the drive train?
beidle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:51 AM   #15775
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beidle99 View Post
Ill be starting my build on the b5m lite this week. I know the bearings were in question for the original kit. I see the lite comes with upgraded bearings, are they any good?
Also has anyone tried removing the seals or at least one seal for the transmission bearings since they are not exposed to the elements to free up the drive train?
The lite bearings are certainly better. I would recommend you pickup a set of the avid or schelle transmission bearings before the build if you're at all wanting a freer drivetrain. I would also pickup several idler gears, and find the one that is the most round.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #15776
Tech Regular

What good is upgrading the transmission bearings if you're not also upgrading the wheel hub bearings?

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #15777
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
What good is upgrading the transmission bearings if you're not also upgrading the wheel hub bearings?
It still frees it up. I would only run the ceramics in the trans and keep the regular bearings in the hubs as they are exposed to the elements. I clean out all the "lube" from the hub bearings and use my own. Not as free as ceramics would be but it makes a difference.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #15778
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
It still frees it up. I would only run the ceramics in the trans and keep the regular bearings in the hubs as they are exposed to the elements. I clean out all the "lube" from the hub bearings and use my own. Not as free as ceramics would be but it makes a difference.
I have been running the avid revolution ceramics in my front and rear hubs for a year. still super smooth. I was told they would not last as long, but they have. But we have very low dust here.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #15779
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
When is it appropriate to change gearing vs endbell timing vs esc timing. What is the advantage of changing one over the other or what's the difference in changing each.
I only run my cars in blinky, so I no longer run any dynamic timing in my ESC. Back in 08/09/10ish... before the blinky mode thing became law in the RC world for stock racing, and when I was running touring car, you had to be VERY good at understanding and implementing dynamic timing in the ESC in order to be competitive. If you want to learn how that all works, do a google search or send me a PM and i'd be happy to explain it.

Having said that, if you ARE running blinky mode rules, you can't set even static timing in your ESC anyway. But for all intents and purposes, adding 10 degrees of static timing in your ESC is no different than adding 10 degrees of static timing to the endbell of the motor.

The real question is when do you gear up or down, vs adding or removing endbell timing on the motor. For your average racer, they really can be thought of as being synonymous. Adding timing feels, for the most part, like gearing up. Now, there are actually differences. Certain motors will perform better, or feel better, or seem to prefer a certain range on it's timing endbell. For example, on my Fantom motors I run in offroad, The motors feel better geared up one tooth, with the timing kept relativly lower, around 40 on the endbell. Geared down but running 50 on the endbell (which should net the same basic power band), feels different... feels like I loose some of that middle power band grunt. It will require testing with your specific motor.

All in all, the rule of thumb, is run your endbell timing to match the size of the track. 40 for a smaller track, 45 for a medium track, and 50 for a large track (just a general recommendation, YMMV). The longer the car spends it's time at max speed of the vehicle, the more endbell timing will help.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #15780
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I have been running the avid revolution ceramics in my front and rear hubs for a year. still super smooth. I was told they would not last as long, but they have. But we have very low dust here.
This is going to be an indoor carpet offroad car, so I will look into the Avid ceramics. Thanks for the advice.
beidle99 is offline   Reply With Quote