R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree17Likes

Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #15541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I say yes on the caged.
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #15542
Tech Regular

thanks. I'll try some on next rebuild. Are the bearings smaller? If so will they last as long as std thrust setup ?
scr8pn4205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #15543
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I am a big proponent of running caged ceramic thrust assemblies. They don't really wear out, and run a lot smoother. I personally run the avids

The only thing to watch out for, is sometimes they have an overall thickness that is thinner than the stock thrust, which means the bolt will bottom out in the screw before your diff is tight. Simply put a washer on the bolt head to achieve the same overall thickness. Usually not more than .5 mm or 1.0mm.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #15544
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pn4205 View Post
thanks. I'll try some on next rebuild. Are the bearings smaller? If so will they last as long as std thrust setup ?
I have been running the caged thrust for about 8 months. I love not having to deal with those tiny balls and it just makes the diff rebuild easier. But when used with Pucks, I just get goofy results. I ran a steel non carbide version and it was smooth in my stock diff and it lasted a while. So I tried the ceramic thinking it would last forever in my pucks, but the diff is feeling off after a short time. Your mileage may very. I am still on the fence about them.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #15545
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I have been running the caged thrust for about 8 months. I love not having to deal with those tiny balls and it just makes the diff rebuild easier. But when used with Pucks, I just get goofy results. I ran a steel non carbide version and it was smooth in my stock diff and it lasted a while. So I tried the ceramic thinking it would last forever in my pucks, but the diff is feeling off after a short time. Your mileage may very. I am still on the fence about them.
Running a caged thrust has zero to go with running pucks. If your diff is needing a rebuild more often than before, it isn't because you have mated a caged thrust with pucks.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #15546
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Running a caged thrust has zero to go with running pucks. If your diff is needing a rebuild more often than before, it isn't because you have mated a caged thrust with pucks.
Yeah, unsure what the deal is. My diffs when build with the pucks dont last as long. I thought I needed to use the "hat" thrust washer from the pucks with the ceramic thrust, so I did that on this last build, but still didnt last all that long (2 months). Might just be a coincidence. I need to pull it apart and see what is up. it does not feel "gritty" per say, it just feels weird. Kinda wavey. I was good at first, but now feels off. I also used TKO sanded rings and ceramic diff balls on this build. Like I said, I am on the fence. I would really like the caged to be best because it makes relubing and working on the diff nicer.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #15547
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, unsure what the deal is. My diffs when build with the pucks dont last as long. I thought I needed to use the "hat" thrust washer from the pucks with the ceramic thrust, so I did that on this last build, but still didnt last all that long (2 months). Might just be a coincidence. I need to pull it apart and see what is up. it does not feel "gritty" per say, it just feels weird. Kinda wavey. I was good at first, but now feels off. I also used TKO sanded rings and ceramic diff balls on this build. Like I said, I am on the fence. I would really like the caged to be best because it makes relubing and working on the diff nicer.
USUALLY a wavy feeling diff means you have an issue with the thrust assembly. For example, if you are missing a thrust ball. It certainly should NOT feel like that... but isn't related to your pucks at all. There is an issue with your diff build.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #15548
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
USUALLY a wavy feeling diff means you have an issue with the thrust assembly. For example, if you are missing a thrust ball. It certainly should NOT feel like that... but isn't related to your pucks at all. There is an issue with your diff build.
The only reason I brought up the pucks is because the "hat" thrust washer from the pucks rebuild kit was no specifically designed to be run with the caged. I also tried to just use the caged thrust washer and no MIP hat, and it seemed "fine". I just didnt like the lack of support for the screw. Matt from MIP said the complete caged thrust "should" be fine. Again, the mip hat thrust is the part of the build I am unsure of
Old 09-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #15549
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Are you running a slipper eliminator? If so I could see ceramic not holding up as well as the carbide.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #15550
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSracing View Post
Are you running a slipper eliminator? If so I could see ceramic not holding up as well as the carbide.
No I use the avid Triad slipper. And I am liberal with the slip. About 1 inch lift.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #15551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I never used the HAT from the MIP kit with the larger (stock) size thrust balls. The MIP thrust balls are smaller so I always assumed the grove in their HAT was cut to match.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #15552
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

So guys after browsing through the forum I am trying to reach a decision. B5m or B5m lite. Car will be ran on both high bite and med bite track... Ive heard from several people they are not 100% convinced the lite is always the best option. Thanks in advance!
dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #15553
Tech Apprentice

I would just get the lite kit myself. Has some of the aluminum stuff in the box already, better bearings, HD rear axles, titanium turnbuckles, and arms everybody was using anyway. Converting to the 4 gear transmission isn't really too expensive if you think you need it. That's what I've done but I run on an outdoor track that's very low grip. And I add ballast to calm the car down and make it easier to drive, my own preference.
will5879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #15554
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
So guys after browsing through the forum I am trying to reach a decision. B5m or B5m lite. Car will be ran on both high bite and med bite track... Ive heard from several people they are not 100% convinced the lite is always the best option. Thanks in advance!
I have run both and like the lite better.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #15555
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast8 View Post
I never used the HAT from the MIP kit with the larger (stock) size thrust balls. The MIP thrust balls are smaller so I always assumed the grove in their HAT was cut to match.
yes, the hat thrust washer is grooved to keep the balls contained. the reason is to prevent them from scoring the inside of the alum outdrive. Since steel is harder than alum. The hat, also fits into a larger than normal opening inside the outdrive to "key" it into place.