R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 09-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #15451
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anybody run the RDRP front bulkhead? Can't quite figure out the direction of the bushings to achieve 25° kickup. Any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:59 PM   #15453
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

A few weeks ago you guys were having a discussion on the necessity of the aluminum steering rack...I was wondering your opinions on the aluminum 25* front bulk head?

You guys were saying a rookie/novice should stay away from the aluminum steering rack so I'm just curious who's running it?

I'm not a rookie but by no means an expert. I've been racing RC for 5-6 years off and on but now striving for racing full time this fall/winter. I race stock buggy (B5M Lite) with plans to dabble in super stock 13.5 spec if it takes off this season and mod stadium truck with a T5M and a 10.5
RickyRacer Lidz
Jake's RC Topeka KS
TravisS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #15454
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisS27 View Post
A few weeks ago you guys were having a discussion on the necessity of the aluminum steering rack...I was wondering your opinions on the aluminum 25* front bulk head?

You guys were saying a rookie/novice should stay away from the aluminum steering rack so I'm just curious who's running it?

I'm not a rookie but by no means an expert. I've been racing RC for 5-6 years off and on but now striving for racing full time this fall/winter. I race stock buggy (B5M Lite) with plans to dabble in super stock 13.5 spec if it takes off this season and mod stadium truck with a T5M and a 10.5
I run it and love it. I just run a kimbrough servo saver so if something is going to give, it's not the main servo gear
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #15455
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 485 (100%+)

I didn't really want to get into the fray but so long as you keep a plastic servo horn most servos hold up just fine with a metal rack and arms. As far as the bulkhead goes its a good idea if you need weight. I've never seen a plastic one break. Just remember that anytime you replace plastic with metal you're gonna cause something else to fail eventually or in the case that you upgrade everything something will eventually bend. Its not a terrible idea but I'm not sure I'd use one just to have it.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #15456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

hey guys,

running a b5m lite and trying to get it dialed in but it's not doing what I need it to do and far off from being where it needs to be to be more competitive.

seems to be pushing, setup kit stock, I changed the front springs to grey but I am still pushing.

tires are ok.

I want my buggy to have lots of steering. I'm going to switch to 1.4 x 3 pistons in the front.

Now one thing I am running is a savox 1251 instead of a full size servo, i'm thinking that's my issue, so my guess is either add 7 to 10 grams on the front or put a full size servo in.

It seems like I got to hit brake to get it to turn which is not my style of driving.

Kind of a shocker cause I thought AE would have lots of steering.

Any other ideas?

Hard to admit but at this point my Serpent is the better buggy right now.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #15457
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

with the right setup, you will have no issues getting your b5m to steer. I'd go to rc10.com and try a setup from a track similar to where you race.

Don't forget to double check your steering throw and adjust your EPA if necessary, and make sure there is absolutely no binding in the suspension, especially the ball cups.
mgers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #15458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

checked all the obvious already, have full steering throw. ball cups move freely.
check out the new 12th scale GT class! https://www.facebook.com/groups/148391312353349/
support your local tracks- Beachline Raceway-386-Full Throttle Raceway
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #15459
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Try changing to 2mm trailing instead of the kit 4mm trailing. Dont change anything else except the ackerman changes as described in the manual.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #15460
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

With the kit setup of my original b5m, the thing had too much steering! I can assure you that the steering you are looking for can be achieved.

Edit: Meant to quote Jeffs SC10
mx836 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #15461
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
hey guys,

running a b5m lite and trying to get it dialed in but it's not doing what I need it to do and far off from being where it needs to be to be more competitive.

seems to be pushing, setup kit stock, I changed the front springs to grey but I am still pushing.

tires are ok.

I want my buggy to have lots of steering. I'm going to switch to 1.4 x 3 pistons in the front.

Now one thing I am running is a savox 1251 instead of a full size servo, i'm thinking that's my issue, so my guess is either add 7 to 10 grams on the front or put a full size servo in.

It seems like I got to hit brake to get it to turn which is not my style of driving.

Any other ideas?

what position is your battery in? All the way back? Move it forward. Do you have any drag brake? Try 30% drag brake. I had the EXACT same post a few pages back... don't feel crazy though, even though these guys who respond seem to saying you're crazy, a lot of people struggle with out of the box push with the B5m Lite.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #15462
Tech Regular

Quote:
hey guys,

tires are ok.

Any other ideas?

The 1251 is more than adequate to do the job, has taken a serous beating in my buggy and not had a single problem or been the cause of lack of steering, a setup not suited to your track will be. If you really think that little bit of weight is going to make a massive difference in how your car rotates, buy the brass front bulkhead, half the price of the Savox you have now, and test it out, or move the battery all the way forward.

You never state what kind of surface you are running on or what tires you are actually using and this to me, is one of the most important first steps. Tires not suited for your track and you can chase your tail through numerous setups and nothing will work for you.

I run on a indoor clay track that ranges from high bite, just post watering, to pebbled out and medium bite once the track dries out. When bite is high I love highly worn out tires that are basically slicks, when pebbled out I prefer newer electrons to gain some traction.

Start with the kit setup, get your tires sorted out, get your ride height sorted out, get your shocks sorted out, then begin working through the numerous other steps to fine tune how you want the car to rotate on and off power. Everything is sliding scale and you will never get 100% steering 100% of the time, find where you can get through your track for your style and find a middle ground and learn to work it.

Also, having just gone through relearning how to drive this buggy, I have had to learn to get the nose planted hard by being heavy on the brake just prior to turn in, rotate through the corner and apply power as the outside wheel is loaded. So I am racing straight lines from corner-to-corner, heavy brake in a straight line prior to hitting the corner entry, rotate in and begin getting on the gas as the buggy has rotated a bit, get on too early or too heavy and you are either going to push badly or lose the back end, it's not a 4WD. How you setup ackermann, bump steer, ride height, toe-in, camber, diff tightness, slipper tightness, caster and kick-up will all effect on and off power steering characteristics. I am just getting back into this and these are some of things I am trying to get to understand better and how they effect my buggies handling.

Having spent several weekends just doing practice sessions and I have the buggy finally comfortable for how I want it to drive, I am guessing most normal folks would call my buggy super twitchy with too much steering. I realize it is not setup for getting a good driver around the track quickly but it has allowed me to get comfortable with learning to drive a buggy and as I get more comfortable I am backing out steering to get the back end looser, baby steps to faster lap times.

Last edited by Fasttrak; 09-08-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #15463
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
hey guys,

tires are ok.

Any other ideas?

I seriously suggest staying away from anything other than 4mm trailing axle if you can. If you can't, and it's the only thing left, it will definitely give you steering, but it really changes the car and makes it less consistent in my opinion.

We need to know where you need steering. Do you need it corner entry such as decelerating when entering the corner? Mid corner low speed when the car is trying to apex a small corner? Mid corner high speed such as the middle section of a high speed sweeper? High speed corner exit steering under power?

If it just feels like the rear of the car is too stuck and won't rotate, which is how mine was. I ended up going to cav's "half hole longer b hub" hole with shocks laid down in the back and it was an absolute game changer. I tried a lot of things, because what was frustrating is it seemed loose at times yet stuck at times. I tried more front droop (which gives a lot of low speed steering) and it gave me steering but the car was a hand full. My real problem was lack of rotation where I wanted it. The b-hub really fixed it—it gives you less traction when the rear rolls under hard corner but it hooks up MORE at low speed, so it gives the car this amazingly smooth rotation and confidence exiting corners when you're pointed the right way.

Wayne
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #15464
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I've never seen a plastic one break.
It's probably better that you have not. I had to personally replace my plastic one because of uh... you know when you blast down the straight and come into the corner a little too hot? Then you start wheel hopping under braking.. All I gotta say is the wall is still undefeated. I don't remember if I ended up replacing the hing pin (most likely) or not. It cracked and separated most of the portion from the front to the back right a long the edge line of the square meat of the mount.

So just to confirm, yes it has happened.
Mason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #15465
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The grey spring will add more push to the car. A stiffer spring will give more initial response but will push mid turn. I usually use a grey sprin on higher traction tracks.

Quote:
hey guys,

tires are ok.

Any other ideas?

BIGSKI15 is offline   Reply With Quote