R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 09-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #15391
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
After running stock 17.5 for a while I've decided to build up a mod B5M lite. I need insight on how to set up my Orion R10.1 ESC - it's currently paired with a Team Powers 7.5 motor and I run at Norcal Hobbies. My initial gearing is 81/22 but haven't taken the buggy out to see how this gearing will work. I'm not sure where to start - which ESC firmware should I use (mod vs. stock)? timing/turbo settings?

-Thanks, Todd
I run 23/81 with 7.5 for my track (medium size). On my Orion I run no boost or timing. I bump the timing a bit on the motor. Runs well and doesn't get hot to where I can't touch the ESC or motor. I run 8% stage with brake setting on 62.5%. You can run 24/78 as well which allows you to move the motor back a bit for some rear weight bias.

Schelle Racing Concepts - www.schelleracing.com
Amain Hobbies - www.amain.com
Jmuck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #15392
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
After running stock 17.5 for a while I've decided to build up a mod B5M lite. I need insight on how to set up my Orion R10.1 ESC - it's currently paired with a Team Powers 7.5 motor and I run at Norcal Hobbies. My initial gearing is 81/22 but haven't taken the buggy out to see how this gearing will work. I'm not sure where to start - which ESC firmware should I use (mod vs. stock)? timing/turbo settings?

-Thanks, Todd
IMO, the mod firmware is smoother. I would run it in mod if i were you.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #15393
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Todd, next time you are there see if you can talk to Mike Counsil. He (and his son) runs a B5m with an Orion 10.1 and I believe a 7.5 team powers motor. He is pretty helpful when it comes to tuning (car set up and esc settings).
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #15394
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anybody know why cav, phend, etc. aren't using a voltage cutoff on their speedos (see link) Granted we are racing, and never hit the cutoff voltage, but why not have it on as a safety? Is there a disadvantage?

http://www.liverc.com/news/race_results/10411-Maifield%2C_Cavalieri%2C_Phend_and_Thayer_won_Surf _City_Classic/
BrandonBreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #15395
a1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

is there a list of inexpensive electronics for the b5m. Not looking for dirt cheap and not looking for expert level electronics. Im a novice on the track but dont want electronics to limit to novice either. Thanks for any help. The track I have available is somewhere on the upper scale 1/10 and lower scale 1/8 size. So not a small track with a lot of tight corners. Clay packed if that matters.
a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #15396
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
Anybody know why cav, phend, etc. aren't using a voltage cutoff on their speedos (see link) Granted we are racing, and never hit the cutoff voltage, but why not have it on as a safety? Is there a disadvantage?

http://www.liverc.com/news/race_resu..._City_Classic/
winning > free battery
Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #15397
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post

http://www.liverc.com/news/race_resu..._City_Classic/
No mention of current limiting on, but I think it's turned off to avoid the chance of a voltage drop out under extreme throttle hits. Seems like a stretch with a 2WD buggy, but maybe helps in the 5th minute with 2WD or 4x4 SCT? If batteries are free, why compromise?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #15398
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1 View Post
is there a list of inexpensive electronics for the b5m. Not looking for dirt cheap and not looking for expert level electronics. Im a novice on the track but dont want electronics to limit to novice either. Thanks for any help. The track I have available is somewhere on the upper scale 1/10 and lower scale 1/8 size. So not a small track with a lot of tight corners. Clay packed if that matters.
I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time! Either spend the money now or spend more in the future.

If your insistent on the less expensive equipment, there's several Chinese knockoff companies that some say make a decent product. Check out Speed Passion or Hobbywing. I'm loving my Tekin RSX, Airtronics MT4, and Fantom Ion v5.

"What I say makes sense in my head. Once it comes out of my mouth it's for you to figure out." -me
Jpdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #15399
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdanger View Post
I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time! Either spend the money now or spend more in the future.

If your insistent on the less expensive equipment, there's several Chinese knockoff companies that some say make a decent product. Check out Speed Passion or Hobbywing. I'm loving my Tekin RSX, Airtronics MT4, and Fantom Ion v5.
So buying a Tekin RSX is doing it right and buying a Hobbywing Justock is wrong?

I have about 5 of them in different cars. Never had a problem with any of them. I run Hobbywing in everything. 1/12th pan car to 1/8th truggy. Will never buy another brand speedo again.

Save some money by buying a Hobbywing ESC and splurge a little more when it comes to the motor. Spektrum radios and servos are pretty reasonably priced, and except for a broken steering spring I have never had a problem with them either. Its always a subject of debate, but for most people Spektrum is probably the best bang for the buck.

Although I would suggest staying away from the extreme budget radios like Flysky and Turnigy (Turnigy batteries are proving to be pretty good), as well as the cheap orange receivers.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #15400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 487 (100%+)

Just as an FYI, Hobbywing makes Orion which is arguably the best you can buy. A Hobbywing 3.1 is top quality, every bit as good as an Orion. I'm not knocking Tekin, they are a great company but their speedos are not the best. I'd take a $50 Hobbywing Justock over a Tekin RS any day and I'm sure many who have used both would agree. I, myself, only use Hobbywing because their US service is as good as Tekin's while Orion doesn't do service at all. They just give you a discount on a new speedo. Before you bad mouth products you should try them. I'll never say anything bad about something that I have no experience using.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #15401
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I love both brand esc's. I have a 60a hobbywing in my mini 8ight-t and it is super smooth and consistent. Never had a issue with that one at all. Only thing I wish I could do is un solder the motor wires from it so I can direct solder my motor to it. I have a Tekin RSX in my B5M lite and love it also. Super smooth no issues and the last time I had a RS V1 it had issues and Tekin replaced it no questions asked and that's why I went with them again. I also like how on the RSX I can do custom profiles with it. I haven't looked into trying to do the same with the hobbywing but if they did I would grab one to throw into my ST truck to try for sure.

It's all about what YOU like and what YOU want. There are fans of all brands out there so pick what you feel most comfortable with. Maybe go to the local track and see if someone with each esc your looking at will let you do a lap to see how each feels.
carcrazy699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #15402
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Bodies

Is the silencer body still one of the most stable bodies for the B5m? Also looking at the finisher and sweep muzzle body. Any pros / cons?

Thanks
Bracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #15403
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Hobbywing makes excellent speed controls. A decent portion of the Expert Stock Buggy class on any given night at OCRC use the Justock. I had one for a while and loved it. Very smooth throttle and brakes, comparable to anything else out there on the market for stock racers. I have been trying to run more mod lately so I now have a V3.1. I doubted the hobbywing stuff for the longest time and then Wildcat talked me into trying one, I figured for $50 why not, If I don't like it I can sell it for $40.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:56 AM   #15404
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I running the trackstar speedos and like them they are inexpensive from hobbyking but there prices have risen and resale value is lower I think if I were to make a purchase today for budget minded speedo I might be looking at the hobbywing. one thing I keep in mind when I look at the electronics in my car is warranty service is nice but takes time no matter who it is so there if I want to race next weekend I need to keep a spare speedo while I wait weeks to send one in and get repaired or replaced. I do think that hobbyking is actually better on their warranty in that sense you send them a video of the issue and they send a new one or credit your account only did it once but I had the refund in a week and ordered a replacement.

still think I would be looking at the hobbywing though lol
jslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #15405
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Ok guys need a little setup advise I run on a bumpy md traction clay dirt mix surface. I've started with the stock chassis but felt I needed more rear traction. I installed lite chassis and the rear end is locked in now. I need On Power steering. We have this one 180 deg turn and I can't get this car to turn on power, everywhere else the car is good. Here is my setup what should I change.