R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #15376
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Could someone lead me in the direction of a setup for a med grip at best wet clay track? No tires will work unless it a SS or M4 slick.

Thank You
bprc10T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #15377
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprc10T3 View Post
Could someone lead me in the direction of a setup for a med grip at best wet clay track? No tires will work unless it a SS or M4 slick.

Thank You
Cav's car looked pretty good at nationals, and that's a high grip slick track. I'd say try it...
Socket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #15378
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo View Post

I'm going to work on replacing the Proline Electrons with Gold Dirtwebs on the front like I have in the rear... Although, I did think it was funny, some people told me not to mix rubber front and rear and looking at the pros at OCRC this weekend, like everyone was running mixed sets... haha... I know, I'm no pro, just a newbie trying to figure it all out, keeping it simple.
They were either running proline front and rear or JConcepts front and rear. The pros were not mixing compounds from different manufacturers. Tread patterns might have looked different front to rear but that's it.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #15379
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprc10T3 View Post

Thank You
I race on med-high bite clay with M4 or JConcepts green or black. I have taken a real likening to Brent Thielkes set ups, They seem to work good for me and suit my style of driving after a couple small adjustments. Maybe start there.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #15380
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
You would have to try it but IIRC when I ran a 66t spur gear the smallest pinion I could get close enough to mesh was a 31. The motor would hit the tranny case, but that was with a 4 gear. The 3 gear tranny may be different, I don't know.
Looks like a no go , i have fitted up 30 69 and the mesh is not enough for me to feel comfortable with . Any flex will likely result in a chewed spur Running the 66 will push fdr's past where i want to be so going to start at 32 69 and see how it goes .
gogi108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #15381
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Steering issues

Looking for a few ideas to help my car with on power in corner steering issues. Any throttle in turns makes car go straight, had to turn brakes up to slide turns now. Rear traction is good. Running white white 32.5 30 1.4 1.6. 2 limiters around. Ive tried a few spring combos with little noticeable differences. My track is very high bite, mostly smooth. Any other info anyone would neec to help me out, let me know... Thanks guys in advance
Old 08-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #15382
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin payne View Post
Looking for a few ideas to help my car with on power in corner steering issues. Any throttle in turns makes car go straight, had to turn brakes up to slide turns now. Rear traction is good. Running white white 32.5 30 1.4 1.6. 2 limiters around. Ive tried a few spring combos with little noticeable differences. My track is very high bite, mostly smooth. Any other info anyone would neec to help me out, let me know... Thanks guys in advance
I would suggest spending some time on this site and getting a good understanding of what to try to get what you want from your buggy. Good infor that will make you more efficient in your pit to get what you need from it.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #15383
Tech Elite

Quote:
What toe in-board (arm mount) and out-board (hubs)? Anti-Squat? Rear shock mount locations? Front Droop (if backing out shock ends)?
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #15384
Tech Regular

i got 69 30 to fit with 3 gear no problem
scr8pn4205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #15385
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsair View Post
I was running the 30 deg kickup and according to the manual I should use 2mm shims on the bumpsteer ballstud. Should I not?
You got that correct~! Yes... My apologies. I didn't know you were running 30.

if you're running 30 degrees caster, then you will want +MM on you turn blocks. The exact number doesn't matter, just compress your front end and watch closely to see if you introduce any bumpsteer as the suspension compresses. Then you adjust accordingly. For example, 1.75mm might be best... (just made that up, not sure, I only run 25. 2mm might be dead on).
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #15386
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pn4205 View Post
i got 69 30 to fit with 3 gear no problem
I run 69/30 with 4-gear, no problem
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #15387
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Some things to try. Each will have a different effect:
-Add front limiter (limit weight transfer)
-Reduce rear toe (reduce rear traction/gimble)
-Raise rear roll center (increase rotation)
-Soften front spring (adds exit steering)
-Move rear hubs rearward (weight dist/wheelbase)
-Move battery forward or add front weight (weight dist)
-Increase anti-squat (reduce weight transfer)

Remember - The problem is not always adding traction. Sometimes it's more effective to remove it!

Also check out the Ray Munday setup sheet. It's a great view of how the B5M setup shifts for different surfaces.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #15388
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 486 (100%+)

Quote:
Somebody else already mentioned that you probably need to post up more info. That being said, based on what you're saying about your track conditions, I'd try a few things [provided your choice in tires is correct]: 1) try a stiffer rear spring (easiest thing to do), (2) if your not already doing so, try 2.5 degrees of rear toe (3) if your track is smooth and has high grip like you say try 0-1 anti squat (not sure if their is 2.5/0 available), (4) run a long rear link (5) and I like to give the car as much droop as I can before it starts traction rolling, (6)move the battery further forward.

The box set up for the front of the car is ok. I run 0mm of ackerman and 2mm under the ballstud on the tower. That's how I set myself up for ultra high traction outdoor bluegroove. Clay is a little different. My advice is set your car up the way you like it. Try not to rely on setup sheets that you get online. Cav's set up works for Cav but pretty much nobody is that fast and if your asking for set up help......your not that fast either. Experimenting is the best way to go. I, myself, have even bought other peoples cars just for the different setup. Sometimes stuff that you'd never think of works great. Its amazing how much small things can make a difference.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #15389
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
if you're running 30 degrees caster, then you will want +MM on you turn blocks. The exact number doesn't matter, just compress your front end and watch closely to see if you introduce any bumpsteer as the suspension compresses. Then you adjust accordingly. For example, 1.75mm might be best... (just made that up, not sure, I only run 25. 2mm might be dead on).
Cool, thanks for the info!
tsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #15390
Tech Apprentice

Default Mod Orion ESC Help

After running stock 17.5 for a while I've decided to build up a mod B5M lite. I need insight on how to set up my Orion R10.1 ESC - it's currently paired with a Team Powers 7.5 motor and I run at Norcal Hobbies. My initial gearing is 81/22 but haven't taken the buggy out to see how this gearing will work. I'm not sure where to start - which ESC firmware should I use (mod vs. stock)? timing/turbo settings?

-Thanks, Todd
toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote