Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Cragg is running his Yatabe Worlds buggy.

What makes me scratch my head, how is it that Yokomo can produce another low rider, now a 3 gear transmission, specifically for carpet/Astro with a cf shock tower and the rear shocks mounted in front of the rear arms, and AE wins the Worlds with theirs, and we all want one, but they're all like, "nah".
They're a major manufacturer who supplies what the majority wants. At least around here the majority still run on dirt. I can only think of one or two carpet off-road tracks in a 4 state area around here. There's already an aftermarket lo-pro tranny available. Maybe that's their opinion or they are working on something different down there in area 51?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
They're a major manufacturer who supplies what the majority wants. At least around here the majority still run on dirt. I can only think of one or two carpet off-road tracks in a 4 state area around here. There's already an aftermarket lo-pro tranny available. Maybe that's their opinion or they are working on something different down there in area 51?
So the question comes down to. Does AE want to make a dirt and carpet edition? In the past the answer was no. The mainly make cars for dirt, then engineer for worlds as needed. Not a new thing for AE. "If" the market was there for 2 different platforms, I am sure they would do it.

I am surprised that Neil still has his worlds car. I would think AE would want that back.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hsp-sandiego
cool... follow a pros setup at petitrc.com
Unless you drive like one of those pros that's bad advice. You need to tune your conditions and driving style. 99.9% of us do not drive anywhere near the speeds of a pro and thus should not be setting out cars up to emulate theirs. Unless you are really good at setting up a car I'd recommend starting with the book set up and going from there. If your car has a 3 gear trans the B5M Lite book setup will work adequately anywhere other than super high grip carpet [so I hear].
Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

On the carpet car side, here in Az there are a few guys running laydown trans cars that love them on dirt granted out clay is really high traction but it is going that way. Also another thing to consider is that wont be much longer that AE will need a whole new design of car so that everyone will have to have the new car.

AE is in business to sell cars and parts they cannot do that and keep the same model just a fact there will be a total redesign in a year or two so that the parts are not compatible it is the business plan.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jslider
Also another thing to consider is that wont be much longer that AE will need a whole new design of car so that everyone will have to have the new car.

AE is in business to sell cars and parts they cannot do that and keep the same model just a fact there will be a total redesign in a year or two so that the parts are not compatible it is the business plan.
Do you know how long they held onto the B4 platform?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jslider
On the carpet car side, here in Az there are a few guys running laydown trans cars that love them on dirt granted out clay is really high traction but it is going that way. Also another thing to consider is that wont be much longer that AE will need a whole new design of car so that everyone will have to have the new car.

B4 platform ran for what 10 YEARS. The B5 is how old??
Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Socket
Do you know how long they held onto the B4 platform?
Oh, I dont think the b5m is going anywhere. The cost of the molds and what not, will require them to keep this platform around for a while. Unless the car becomes non competitive, AE will keep the car. The question is, will they make a carpet/turf car. I am inclined to say no. But anything is possible.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Oh, I dont think the b5m is going anywhere. The cost of the molds and what not, will require them to keep this platform around for a while. Unless the car becomes non competitive, AE will keep the car. The question is, will they make a carpet/turf car. I am inclined to say no. But anything is possible.
Why bother? Is the car losing?

Is the car holding any of the team drivers back? They haven't had to Frankenstein a car to be competitive other than the goofy worlds track, so what is there to worry about...
Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Is the car holding any of the team drivers back? They haven't had to Frankenstein a car to be competitive other than the goofy worlds track, so what is there to worry about...
I agree. They seem to be happy letting people print and mod the car for carpet. They are focused on the nitro worlds and putting out the new wheeler.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It should be pointed out that the fundamental suspension geometry of the B5 was the same as the B4 and the B3, which was derived from the 89 and 91 IFMAR stealth cars so designing a whole new car isn't a must. They've taken what has worked and have constantly refined it over the past 25 years rather than constantly reinventing the wheel. Just because a laydown gearbox won the worlds doesn't mean that it's the best design. That's a bad trap to fall into just like thinking that the winning car's setup sheet is the ultimate performance potential for the car. Those setups keep changing though. Learn what changes affect the performance of the car and learn to tune around your own driving style and then evolve and improve from there. It's easy to copy what you see. It's hard to achieve the same results.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fredswain
It should be pointed out that the fundamental suspension geometry of the B5 was the same as the B4 and the B3, which was derived from the 89 and 91 IFMAR stealth cars so designing a whole new car isn't a must. They've taken what has worked and have constantly refined it over the past 25 years rather than constantly reinventing the wheel. Just because a laydown gearbox won the worlds doesn't mean that it's the best design. That's a bad trap to fall into just like thinking that the winning car's setup sheet is the ultimate performance potential for the car. Those setups keep changing though. Learn what changes affect the performance of the car and learn to tune around your own driving style and then evolve and improve from there. It's easy to copy what you see. It's hard to achieve the same results.
Correct!!! The molds are very costly so changing every year or so its going to imposible. AE will change a design when they feel they have to change so many parts that the complete platform is not competitive.

Doing injection molding is not as easy to do as 3D printing and the cost are astronomical when you compare the two. The laydown tranny does have advantages over the other designs but those advantages can only be noticed in very high bite situations. We only race on carpet, outdoors is mostly for nitro since the tracks are big and very nasty. 1/8 buggies and some short course trucks is what normally races here outdoor that are electric. So in my situation a low center of gravity will help. But that does not mean that a normal 3 gear won't be competitive.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I know a guy that did the LRG 3 gear mod to his buggy on our high to ultra high hard packed clay track with astro sections and hes the fastest guy out there by a a second.

Theres guys with xb2's and yoko's going faster than the regular transmission so that design does indeed work.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
I know a guy that did the LRG 3 gear mod to his buggy on our high to ultra high hard packed clay track with astro sections and hes the fastest guy out there by a a second.

Theres guys with xb2's and yoko's going faster than the regular transmission so that design does indeed work.
You imparted to us 3 gear was a fad. Sounds like it works pretty good.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd like to see a correlation between those fastest guys and the total time they practice and race vs the total practice and race efforts of those who don't have the lay down gearboxes. Causation and correlation aren't the same thing.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
B4 platform ran for what 10 YEARS. The B5 is how old??
Not saying next month just saying it will change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.