Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 12-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racer1812
You running a 66t spur to get pinions that big to fit?

IF you're running a 69t spur with those big pinions (not even sure they'll fit) why not drop down to a 66t spur and drop pinion size to match??
Nope. Just had 35/75 on there saturday. That was close to needing to move sensor wire but it was fine. Went to 34/72. For the rest of the day. Probably a sleepy batter problem and time for new batts. I have not messed with tuning the motor. It's still sealed from our region race back in june.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
Don't love the 3D printing composite. Would be cool if AE came out with a kit or somebody like Jconcepts, MIP or Exotek.
3D printing isn't as bad a you think. No, it sure isn't injection molded plastic like AE kit parts. But it's a great alternative for new ideas.

I've been running a 3D printed lay down trans since July. First the original 4gear on shapeways, then the 3gear I designed. No issues with either of them.
My 3gear has been awesome the past few weeks. My son will be getting it this week for more testing.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have no issues with running 3d printed stuff. my issue is that I can't justify spending 170 Euros for a conversion when I may run turf 3-4 times a year.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You running a 66t spur to get pinions that big to fit?

IF you're running a 69t spur with those big pinions (not even sure they'll fit) why not drop down to a 66t spur and drop pinion size to match??
34-35 pinions fit no problem with the 69 spur. I haven't had trouble with gear cover.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Joining the club and getting the B5M not the champ Ed coming very soon . I had a chance to race 2 B5M as mod motor.
And felt instantly competitive can't say the same for the Dex210V2 i been driving on clay on carpet it's great though .

Last edited by tc5 man; 12-14-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
we had an SRS local show up at our track in PA and told us that this was the first time he had to actually tune his B5M. At SRS it's all about just slam the car, dope your tires and put as much power into it as possible. You could run any setup and still wheel it fast. Hearing these stories always makes me chuckle
Old 12-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

not sure if those were shots fired. perhaps more along the lines of there are racers who aren't taking more advantage of the adjustability of their cars
Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onefast8
No shots... just awesome to see someone fly from the other side of the country and go.. oh wow... this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different.

I think we all know that if you have grip, ultimately you can wheel pretty much anything (more or less). Our tracks out here don't have anywhere near the grip levels... so your dialed setup there may have you doing donuts here (like he did )
Old 12-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

No shots... just awesome to see someone fly from the other side of the country and go.. oh wow... this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different.

I think we all know that if you have grip, ultimately you can wheel pretty much anything (more or less). Our tracks out here don't have anywhere near the grip levels... so your dialed setup there may have you doing donuts here (like he did )
A year of so ago, my daughter was racing outdoors on holeshots and ribbed tires. So lowish bite. When we moved and started doing indoor slicks, she found the transition to be fairly easy. But she was still tentative on the trigger pull. One night they over waters the track and everyone was doing donuts in the novice class, she was the only one able to drive on "ice". The other locals were way too used to throttle yanking. She beat guys/gal that normally put her down 2 laps. I just comes down to what you are used to. A couple weeks ago at srs they over watered by a LOT. The track had puddles everywhere. And puddles and slicks dont mix at all. She drove like crap. A year running indoors took away her softer throttle trigger. She normally wins novice/kids class these days, but finished dead last by 3 laps that day. I myself actually do better with slightly less grip. When traction drops and others complain, I start finishing much higher, lol. It comes down to driving style.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I've always found going to higher grip an easier transition...maybe that's because anywhere I go is higher grip than my local track..
Old 12-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pinebox
3D printing isn't as bad a you think. No, it sure isn't injection molded plastic like AE kit parts. But it's a great alternative for new ideas.

I've been running a 3D printed lay down trans since July. First the original 4gear on shapeways, then the 3gear I designed. No issues with either of them.
My 3gear has been awesome the past few weeks. My son will be getting it this week for more testing.
I run a 3D waterfall for a fan and they work, just don't love the feeling of the screw into them. When it hits the composite on the back side it starts to tighten.

Is there no way to engineer a lay down using the same holes of a 3 or 4 gear?
Old 12-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mason
I run 34 and 35 on my B5M (original 4 gear). While it's possible they have altered the gear cover from 4 to 3 gear, it's unlikely that area would have been touched. Have you checked for a bent motor plate? Can you move the pinion down the shaft a little more? You could shim the cover out a smidge but unless you switch over to the fuel tube mounting method, the removal of the gear cover will get annoying.
What are you running for a spur gear?
Running a 72t spur gear. 3 gear layout. The motor plate is brand new, doesn't appear to be bent. I have the pinion gear in as far as possible with the grub screw still being accessible.

On a related note, I noticed the spur gear has a tiny bit of inward/outward play in it. I noticed the Lite Edition instructions made mention of inserting a shim for the top shaft but the CE manual made no mention of this, so guess it's still needed there. This wouldn't have any affect on the placement of the pinion though, so it's not related to this particular problem I'm having.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

I think I fixed the gear cover rubbing, basically just had to try and move the pinion gear inward a tiny fraction more. Not really looking forward to taking the gear box apart to shim the top shaft though, ugh. I'll deal with that later.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
I run a 3D waterfall for a fan and they work, just don't love the feeling of the screw into them. When it hits the composite on the back side it starts to tighten.

Is there no way to engineer a lay down using the same holes of a 3 or 4 gear?
I'm assuming you are talking about the holes to mount it to the chassis. Yes. Well, sort of.

All of them I have seen (including mine) use the existing 4 holes from the bottom near the diff. Then from there, it depends on the parts used.
For mine, you'll need to drill (2) new holes a bit forward of those holes to mount the front of the trans case. Then (2) more new holes a bit forward of the exiting waterfall screws to attach the new waterfall. A total of (4) new holes. This makes for the most secure mount and keeps everything where it's supposed to be.

I guess you could use just the (4) holes around the diff. But, it would let the entire case flex which could lead to cracks. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

How much lighter is the lite chassis compared to stock? The devil on my shoulder (BB) suggested I try stock class racing. I picked up a used (built but never run) b5m with a 3 gear. Curious if I should upgrade to the lite chassis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.