Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Adjusting your link at the hub certainly affects your roll center.
Adjusting the link length wise at the hub does not affect roll center very much. Adjusting it up and down does, certainly.

Adjusting the link length or height at the inside brace affects both significantly. This is why I advocate changing length at the hub if you only want to change camber rise as it has very little affect on roll center.

I can explain why this is the case if you disagree after my clarification.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Krio
Took some video onboard my B5m this past weekend at Stateline RC and thought I'd share it here. This was Q3 of the handout stock buggy class.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
That was awesome, front row view of the punts, baby head rocks on that track with the bonus of the over-view video for perspective. Curious what you used for the over-head view? Another person videoing or did you use that tracking gadget with the on board transponder?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
Adjusting the link length wise at the hub does not affect roll center very much. Adjusting it up and down does, certainly.

Adjusting the link length or height at the inside brace affects both significantly. This is why I advocate changing length at the hub if you only want to change camber rise as it has very little affect on roll center.

I can explain why this is the case if you disagree after my clarification.

You have this totally backwards. Adjusting the link height is a less drastic change than the link length. By making the link longer you are reducing its angle which lowers the roll center. The upper link is basically an upper arm like a real car would have. All of the the new AE manuals actually address this by saying:

"Changing the length of the camber link is considered a bigger step than adjusting
the ball end height on the rear chassis brace. Shortening the camber link
(or lowering the ball end) will give the rear end less roll and the car will tend to
accelerate or “square up” better. Lengthening the camber link (or raising the ball
end) will give the rear more roll and more cornering grip. Longer camber links are
typically used on high grip tracks, while shorter links tend to work better on
medium grip loose tracks. The kit setting is the best compromise of cornering grip
and acceleration.

AE keeps it basic and doesn't really address this as roll center but that's what they are talking about.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Fasttrak
That was awesome, front row view of the punts, baby head rocks on that track with the bonus of the over-view video for perspective. Curious what you used for the over-head view? Another person videoing or did you use that tracking gadget with the on board transponder?
Over head view was recorded with a gopro clipped to my hat. Had to make sure I turned my head to watch my car and didn't just follow it with my eyes. lol
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not getting dragged into this argument on the internet again. I've explained all this countless times. I've even made youtube videos on the subject that went viral. Take or leave what I said, but I'm not going to respond with a technical argument against AE's "general tuning tips" that don't even begin to scratch the surface of the subject. I don't really care if you believe me or understand why what I say is the case. I'll accept PMs from people who want help.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I'm not getting dragged into this argument on the internet again. I've explained all this countless times. I've even made youtube videos on the subject that went viral. Take or leave what I said, but I'm not going to respond with a technical argument against AE's "general tuning tips" that don't even begin to scratch the surface of the subject. I don't really care if you believe me or understand why what I say is the case. I'll accept PMs from people who want help.
I'm just correcting your misinformation. Relax. There's no need to be so combative. Everybody is just here to learn. You stated empirically that changing your link length at the hub doesn't change roll center, which is completely incorrect. Changing your link length or angle on either end, CHANGES the roll center of the car as it is driven around the track.

To be more specific, if the car's suspension isn't moving at all (i.e. standing still), if you ONLY lengthen the link without changing it's angle at all, the roll center doesn't change UNTIL the car starts to roll. The moment the car's suspension starts to move, the longer link has a different "curve" in which the roll center changes. Not only does it provide less camber gain, it provides a lower roll center, when the car is fully leaned over compared to a short link.

Moving on.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 08-13-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I'm just correcting your misinformation. Relax. There's no need to be so combative. Everybody is just here to lean. You stated empirically that changing your link length at the hub doesn't change roll center, which is completely incorrect. Changing your link length or angle on either end, CHANGES the roll center of the car as it is driven around the track.

To be more specific, if the car's suspension isn't moving at all (i.e. standing still), if you ONLY lengthen the link without changing it's angle at all, the roll center doesn't change UNTIL the car starts to roll. The moment the car's suspension starts to move, the longer link has a different "curve" in which the roll center changes. Not only does it provide less camber gain, it provides a lower roll center, when the car is fully leaned over compared to a short link.

Moving on.
Believe it or not, I actually DO understand all of that. I too have ran the differences between where the RC is at rest and rolled in a suspension design simulator after changing the links around in all sorts of stupid ways. I *really* do have an in depth understanding of this subject. If you see something I've said that appears wrong, I promise you it is just a misunderstanding due to my goal of making things understandable and applicable when chassis tuning.

I really don't want to get lost in the weeds here over what I was trying to say, which is this, in extreme detail:

If your goal is to tune camber gain, make changes at the hub and not at the inside brace. There are multiple reasons this is advisable. First, the adjustments offered in/out are "half hole" and aren't nearly as dramatic as changes at the inside (that are far apart), which will REALLY jack your roll center up in addition to changing camber gain—I mean it's in a totally different world at that point for BOTH roll center AND camber gain. This is why AE came out with A/B hubs, because the A hub holes were too large of a change to be useful for camber gain tuning—anything other than middle A was junk! The second reason is that because the distance between the inner hinge pin and inner upper link is smaller than the distance between the outer hinge pin and outer link—the lever arm at the inside is already shorter than at the lever arm at the outside in nearly every modern offroad car (if the arms are level, the camber links sweep down toward the inside brace.) Any change to the inside—height, left/right, will have a larger percentage difference against the distance of the lever arm. This is only compounded by the fact that the steps in/out at the inside are HUGE.

This is why I made the following statement...
you have to familiarize yourself with what camber gain does (the length of your link, best adjusted at the hub to not mess with roll center.)
When you change camber gain at the hub, the RC is certainly changed to SOME degree, but it is so small, it is dwarfed by the change introduced by the camber gain itself. You'll either like the camber gain change or you wont. if it feels better, then you go adjust roll center with links up/down if it feels off, but in my experience, it really doesn't need much, if any, adjustment.

Now, if you go tuning camber gain by changing the inside link, not only is the camber gain change huge, the roll center is obliterated—it's so far off the car may be undrivable (especially a 2wd buggy,) and then you really have to go MESS WITH roll center to even test your camber gain change.

That's the best I can do to clarify what I'm trying to say.

Do you agree with this assessment?

EDIT: By the way, the "ae tuning tips" thing was not directed at you at all—that came from another post, not yours.

Wayne
Old 08-14-2015, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,

Anyone know who makes this front wing?

Thanks,

MiCk B. :-)
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Those damn wings look like bicycle baskets for groceries. All I can see is a loaf of french bread and two apples sitting in it.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MiCk B
Hi,

Anyone know who makes this front wing?

Thanks,

MiCk B. :-)
Not sure but I saw this picture this morning and assume it may be a J-Concepts front wing.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread-b5.jpg  
Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Not sure but I saw this picture this morning and assume it may be a J-Concepts front wing.
Look closely, new rear wing?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Those damn wings look like bicycle baskets for groceries. All I can see is a loaf of french bread and two apples sitting in it.
Just wait until people start painting them..
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Do I remember correctly that to get the aluminum ae hubs to the height of the stock plastic ones, you have to space it up 2mm? Thanks
Old 08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Just wait until people start painting them..

Wrapping them. Its coming....
Old 08-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thomas PA
Do I remember correctly that to get the aluminum ae hubs to the height of the stock plastic ones, you have to space it up 2mm? Thanks
From the instructions that come with the hubs:

With the stock hubs, you could run the insert in either the up or down position. Use a 1mm shim under the ball stud for the DOWN POSITION.
Use a 3mm shim under the ball stud for the UP POSITION.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.