Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

I've been looking, for 17.5 blinky, what is the Optimum FDR I should be shooting for? I'm running a novak balistic 17.5 with 35 degrees on end bell. currently 69t spur, and 31t pinion. which is FDR of 5.78. After a 5 mnute race, I came off at 89 degrees, so I have room to go.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Shocks issues

I am a little disappointed with the shocks. If ibtighten down the retaining cap that houses the 2 Orings an plastic spacers i get a very difficult to move shock shaft. I have to loosen it up a few turns to allow the shock shaft to move free.

Just dont want to keep worrying about adjusting that cap after every race to make sure its not too loose or to tight.

Last edited by Cichlid RC; 04-29-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
If you bought a B5M car, and it came with the B5M arms and the B5M shock tower, it came with the right parts. If it did not come with a B5 tower, that would be expected as you didn't buy a B5.

If you want to run B5 arms, most will tell you it is best to run the B5 shock tower at the same time. You CAN run the B5M tower with the B5 arms, you just need to run 2 additional mm of limiters in the front shocks. The geometry is slightly different, and it will limit your up travel just a tad.

Purchased the lite Kit. Thanks
Old 04-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cichlid RC
I am a little disappointed with the shocks. If ibtighten down the retaining cap that houses the 2 Orings an plastic spacers i get a very difficult to move shock shaft. I have to loosen it up a few turns to allow the shock shaft to move free.

Just dont want to keep worrying about adjusting that cap after every race to make sure its not too loose or to tight.
I used the FT X rings and did not have any issue.
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/team-as...c91493/p275243
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cichlid RC

You shouldn't have to do that. Something is wrong. Did you maybe add too many or the wrong spacers in the cartridge? Do you maybe have one or both of the hat bushings in the wrong way. There should be a little bit of friction but not very much and you should be able to tighten the retaining cap all the way.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

are you trying to reuse the original o-rings that have swelled since first use?
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezlight
I've been looking, for 17.5 blinky, what is the Optimum FDR I should be shooting for? I'm running a novak balistic 17.5 with 35 degrees on end bell. currently 69t spur, and 31t pinion. which is FDR of 5.78. After a 5 mnute race, I came off at 89 degrees, so I have room to go.
You really shouldn't be gearing for heat but rather lap times. I can't remember the last time I won an a-mail because my motor temp was lower/hotter than anyone else.

Knowing that you come off at 89 degrees after your run is nice because you didn't burn up the motor. Now you can try going up or down and checking your lap times then check your temperature. Eventually you will end up finding out that you went to far up or down when your lap times no longer drop.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
You really shouldn't be gearing for heat but rather lap times. I can't remember the last time I won an a-mail because my motor temp was lower/hotter than anyone else.

Knowing that you come off at 89 degrees after your run is nice because you didn't burn up the motor. Now you can try going up or down and checking your lap times then check your temperature. Eventually you will end up finding out that you went to far up or down when your lap times no longer drop.
yeah, I gear for "feel" and check temps to make sure I dont fry a motor. Some layouts need more grunt, other are more flowing and high speed. gearing is a process, not an exact science.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

FDR is a round about #. Motors behave differently and not all the manufacturers make them them same. You need to gear for max efficiency. An electric motor will usually make the most power when its running at peak efficiency. Gearing, timing, and temp all need to be considered together.....but you don't necessarily need to add timing or gear taller if your temps are low. Temp is secondary unless your running too hot.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why do x-rings need to soak in oil before installing?

Do you use green slime on x-rings?
Old 04-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jordan Anderson
Why do x-rings need to soak in oil before installing?

Do you use green slime on x-rings?

I don't do either. All I do is put a few drops of oil in the shock before I actually install the shaft & piston. I do that to make sure the threaded part of the shock shaft doesn't somehow rip/tear the seals. The AE X Rings look identical to the Kyoshos. Anyway, I have literally never had a pair of either wear out, or leak, and I guess I'm not breaking them in properly. Imagine how good they'd be if I prepped them right!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bds81175
You shouldn't have to do that. Something is wrong. Did you maybe add too many or the wrong spacers in the cartridge? Do you maybe have one or both of the hat bushings in the wrong way. There should be a little bit of friction but not very much and you should be able to tighten the retaining cap all the way.
Ill rebuild the shock to be sure. Hopefully its builder error.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am going to set my pride aside and ask a majorly dumb question here.. I am in the middle of building my new Lite and am installing the rear A-arms. I am building it per the pictures in the manual, but the L control arm is on the right and vice versa for the right side. They look almost un-naturally forward swept which may be by design. I think I am just being thrown off by them appearing reversed. I put on my dunce cap and looked at photos from AE and they seem pretty swept forward there too.

Is L the new R and I am just out of touch with what is trendy?

Thanks for any replies!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
I am going to set my pride aside and ask a majorly dumb question here.. I am in the middle of building my new Lite and am installing the rear A-arms. I am building it per the pictures in the manual, but the L control arm is on the right and vice versa for the right side. They look almost un-naturally forward swept which may be by design. I think I am just being thrown off by them appearing reversed. I put on my dunce cap and looked at photos from AE and they seem pretty swept forward there too.

Is L the new R and I am just out of touch with what is trendy?

Thanks for any replies!
They are labeled. L goes on L, R goes on R... and yep, they do sweep forward.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
They are labeled. L goes on L, R goes on R... and yep, they do sweep forward.
Thanks for the reply. If I mount them with left on left, the shock mount holes end up on the front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.