Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Thanks! I'll get some of those TLR washers on order. For the other type, are you saying that people cut off the nubs and drill/tap the wing mounts?
I cut my nubs off and use a 4mm screw with the stock spacer. Only complaint is that I seem to break wings faster so I'm going to try using old shock o-rings to give the wing a little wiggle room.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
How would a different "sub-forum".. for a single car.. be any different than a single thread for a single car? You would have just as many posts to go through, and even more threads to search through for what you were looking for. Everything you need to know here is on page #1. Most new relevant stuff.. just the last 20 pages or so. You don't need to read every post to learn all you need to know about this car.
You have so many different conversations going on. You have to read through several pages and tons of posts that don't pertain to what one may be looking for. With a sub-forum the threads could stay on topic and you would only have to look at the ones that interested you. It would be a much easier way to sort through all the info, and an easier way to keep up on what was important to you. When asking a question 850 pages in it gets buried by the other ongoing posts after it.

I thik it would greatly improve this forum. All of this IMO of course.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
You have so many different conversations going on. You have to read through several pages and tons of posts that don't pertain to what one may be looking for. With a sub-forum the threads could stay on topic and you would only have to look at the ones that interested you. It would be a much easier way to sort through all the info, and an easier way to keep up on what was important to you. When asking a question 850 pages in it gets buried by the other ongoing posts after it.

I thik it would greatly improve this forum. All of this IMO of course.
If someone just bought a B5m today, I could see the 850 pages in this thread looking like a huge wall with information behind it. RCBuddha does a pretty good job of keeping page 1 updated with the usual information folks are looking for. This discussion does raise an idea though. Maybe we could add a "current trends" section to page 1? Something like that might be a pain to maintain though. Anyway, I don't see an easy solution here, but I think as long as RCBuddha keeps doing a good job like he is, we are good.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

So... There has been a lot of talk of fast stock motors for the B5M. The new trinity short stacks, Wurkz and so on. A reedy motor won the Cactus Classic in Stock, and it looks like she had all the power she needed to run people down and pass them. Discuss.

I am sure some motors are "faster" in the straight. But races are often won in the infield. I turned my fastest laps at Cactus with a SkyRC Ares toro 17.5 that I was testing. It was super smooth and had good speed on the straight, but it lacked emergency "grunt". If I hit my lines correctly, that was not an issue, and let me turn many low 21's. The reedy had more grunt, and let me hop over the short run up doubles if I messed up or had to scrub speed due to traffic.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions??

can anyone post pics of a phantom and or silencer body with 3 gear trans ?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
If someone just bought a B5m today, I could see the 850 pages in this thread looking like a huge wall with information behind it. RCBuddha does a pretty good job of keeping page 1 updated with the usual information folks are looking for. This discussion does raise an idea though. Maybe we could add a "current trends" section to page 1? Something like that might be a pain to maintain though. Anyway, I don't see an easy solution here, but I think as long as RCBuddha keeps doing a good job like he is, we are good.
A sub forum wouldn't need to be maintained in the way you are referring to. It could have stickies for the main info. I'm not saying that we should have a rc10bm specific sub forum, but I have seen other forums do a brand specific or class specific sub forums. I really think class specific would be best. For example all under electric off-road: 1/10 2wd buggy, sct, 4wd buggy 1/8 buggy, etc. A lot of questions concerning gear to be ran in a rc10b5m really could be answered by people who run other brand platforms as well. It could broaden the knowledge base, yet allow for more specific topics, instead of grouping any question related to the b5m to a single giant post. I don't see the harm in extra threads, it makes it easier to find what you want. This thread has more turned into a hangout which is completely fine, but we need to have other more specific threads. Oh, and it's not just this thread its all the mega threads. Anyway, I don't know the perfect way, but I think things can be improved.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
So... There has been a lot of talk of fast stock motors for the B5M. The new trinity short stacks, Wurkz and so on. A reedy motor won the Cactus Classic in Stock, and it looks like she had all the power she needed to run people down and pass them. Discuss.

I am sure some motors are "faster" in the straight. But races are often won in the infield. I turned my fastest laps at Cactus with a SkyRC Ares toro 17.5 that I was testing. It was super smooth and had good speed on the straight, but it lacked emergency "grunt". If I hit my lines correctly, that was not an issue, and let me turn many low 21's. The reedy had more grunt, and let me hop over the short run up doubles if I messed up or had to scrub speed due to traffic.

She also stopped jumping the triple 3-4 minutes in, while other cars were clearing it at the 7 minute mark.

Drivers win races, fast cars win drag races.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

1. The forums aren't changing.
2. The mods aren't the ones that make those decisions anyway.
3. Jerzi, I don't want to hear about your carbon chassis any more. You have been warned by just about every moderator on the site for MONTHS. It's great you can work carbon fiber, but we don't need a hundreds posts about the same thing. We all know why you're doing it
4. Having said that, be polite to the guy. If you see something you think breaks the rules, report the post and/or use the ignore feature
5. Two wrongs don't make a right.. don't break the rules and go off insulting people here, or even the community at large (you know who you are).
6. And last but not least, a limited time offer, ignoring the moderator's warnings and requests will start getting you some time off.

B5m discussions continue! I won my club race this weekend with my B5m. Had the toughest of 3 heats of buggy to qualify in, kind-of limiting the times I could put down, which put me 3rd on the grid, but ended up with a flawless zero-mistake run in the main to take the win. Car setup feels flawless to me. I have the car taking great corner speed, with no push and no over-steer. I love neutral handing cars, and my car is REALLY starting to work for me. The car is just getting better and better.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:25 AM
mes
Tech Elite

I also club raced last weekend, but was even further from winning than ever before. I struggled with on-power steering on high-bite carpet, but as the car was almost box stock (first run ever, no brass, no 3-gear transmission or Redworkshop low-rider conversion yet...), it did not come as a surprise. As a dedicated MM car it is designed to generate as much rear traction as possible, and I am looking forward to racing it on dirt.

For the next time on carpet, I ordered a brass front bulkhead, and yesterday my Redworkshop low-rider conversion arrived, which transforms the B5M into a cousin of the Yokomo YZ-2. Unfortunately I'll probably not be able to test it before mid April, but installation was fun already!
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread-lr.jpg  

Last edited by mes; 03-17-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
She also stopped jumping the triple 3-4 minutes in, while other cars were clearing it at the 7 minute mark.

Drivers win races, fast cars win drag races.
yeah, I think that might have been a safety thing. I noticed that a lot of the drivers stopped doing the triple in the mains. Maybe because traction dropped off, maybe they just didnt want to risk it. She did go for it later in the race to try a pass. So she had the motor, but elected to not try it all the time. I am sure she had a hand picked stator and rotor. Team WWHD has all the tools to check stators and motors and pick the best ones. Then properly shim the motors, ceramic bearings and all the good stuff. I am sure it was not an off the shelf non tuned motor.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mes
I also club raced last weekend, but was even further from winning than ever before. I struggled with on-power steering on high-bite carpet, but as the car was almost box stock (first run ever, no brass, no 3-gear transmission or Redworkshop low-rider conversion yet...), it did not come as a surprise. As a dedicated MM car it is designed to generate as much rear traction as possible, and I am looking forward to racing it on dirt.

For the next time on carpet, I ordered a brass front bulkhead, and yesterday my Redworkshop low-rider conversion arrived, which transforms the B5M into a cousin of the Yokomo YZ-2. Unfortunately I'll probably not be able to test it before mid April, but installation was fun already!
3-gear sounds like it would be a GREAT place to go for you on your track. 3-gear will do a lot for on-power steering. But it looks like you are already using one of those ultra-flat gearboxes that pushes the motor really far forward. Are you sure you aren't over-loading the front tires? Are you using the right tires? I can't imagine a buggy laid out like that could have a lack-of-steering issue.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 03-17-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America

1. The forums aren't changing.
2. The mods aren't the ones that make those decisions anyway.
3. Jerzi, I don't want to hear about your carbon chassis any more. You have been warned by just about every moderator on the site for MONTHS. It's great you can work carbon fiber, but we don't need a hundreds posts about the same thing. We all know why you're doing it
4. Having said that, be polite to the guy. If you see something you think breaks the rules, report the post and/or use the ignore feature
5. Two wrongs don't make a right.. don't break the rules and go off insulting people here, or even the community at large (you know who you are).
6. And last but not least, a limited time offer, ignoring the moderator's warnings and requests will start getting you some time off.

B5m discussions continue! I won my club race this weekend with my B5m. Had the toughest of 3 heats of buggy to qualify in, kind-of limiting the times I could put down, which put me 3rd on the grid, but ended up with a flawless zero-mistake run in the main to take the win. Car setup feels flawless to me. I have the car taking great corner speed, with no push and no over-steer. I love neutral handing cars, and my car is REALLY starting to work for me. The car is just getting better and better.
Really need to get my B5 to handle like yours. I'm going to come down this Sunday and work on the setup and gearing some more. Tired of my brother talking up how great his 22 is, even though it is pretty damn good.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by iScream
There are quite a few of us running the B5M there and 5 of us were standing around talking about the buggy. At least 4 of us are members here on RC Tech. I don't remember the subject all that well but I suggested checking out this thread for an answer or advice.

Two different guys in that small group told me they do not participate in this thread in any way because of the general attitude in here. I'm phrasing that in a much nicer way than they did, by the way.

It's pretty noticeable in here at times compared to other threads I follow from less widespread brands. And I really doubt some of you would dare speak to people at your tracks the way you do in this thread.

-Chris
I can't say I disagree with you. I will be keeping a closer eye here. We want people here to contribute.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Holy crap, I take a couple days off and the train falls off the tracks in here

1. No you won't see any sub forums.
2. Read the first page.
3.If you're answer isn't on the first page, simply ask, Even it's likely been asked and answered somewhere in the last 12,000 posts.
4. One of the 2,3,4,5 or 10 active members in here will politely answer even the most redundant questions.
5. Forward all complaints until September to Cpt.A, it's 1/8 scale season for me
Old 03-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

question for your rc10b5M guys.

If I wanted to pick up say the rc10b5M or the soon to be released "lite" version or whatever its called, what parts are needed specifically to convert it to a rear motor when needed?

Now, I know they have a conversion, but what I am wondering is are there things that you probably don't need from that, or are better not getting like say (this is just an example) the front a-arms, etc.

I am basically looking for so to find if there is value to just getting the parts needed separate if there are things that aren't needed.

Based on the classes this would be potentially used for, it would be outdoor rough 1/8 tracks loose (so the B5 rear setup here I am thinking) and then indoor carpet.

The former probably mod class, later stock.

I currently have a durango dex210 that i am happy with so far, but as is my curse I am always looking around at new things, and I do have AE in the heart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.