Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just finished the rebuild for racing tomorrow. And this thing feels butter smooth as I expected.hopefully some minor adjustments for track feel and it will be good to go for a long while.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Going to OCRC tomorrow with the intention of running 3 first few packs with the MM 3 gear and (unless i am suddenly 1.5 seconds a lap faster than i was last time out)
then moving everything over to the RM. At some point ill probably convert the MM to the T5 anyway. In any case has anyone ever tried running the sam if not heavier oil in the back? Every set up i can recall always has the rear 2.5- 5 wt lower. It just seem
ems like the heaviest art of the car should have the heavier oil. Why does no one do this? Im going to start with 30 weight with green up front and 30 weight with white in the back and then g from there.Il let you know how it goes. Looking forward to a day of wrenching.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GizmoTLR
Let me start by saying sorry if this has been answered but i dont feel like searching through 800 pages. I want to run a setup like Hartsons where the battery brace is removed and i can run the esc and receiver in the center of the car. My question is how does the battery stay in place with no mounting bracket since the brace is removed? Is it just wedged between the esc and rear brace?
Shawn Sanders on FB in the "RC10B5 nation" has a sweet one I have been running. Has screws that jeep the battery from going side to side and I run mine up against the servo with a piece of foam wedged in there... so far, so good.

Here's an old pic when I first got it...

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread-20141203_125916.jpg
Old 02-27-2015, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Going to OCRC tomorrow with the intention of running 3 first few packs with the MM 3 gear and (unless i am suddenly 1.5 seconds a lap faster than i was last time out)
then moving everything over to the RM. At some point ill probably convert the MM to the T5 anyway. In any case has anyone ever tried running the sam if not heavier oil in the back? Every set up i can recall always has the rear 2.5- 5 wt lower. It just seem
ems like the heaviest art of the car should have the heavier oil. Why does no one do this? Im going to start with 30 weight with green up front and 30 weight with white in the back and then g from there.Il let you know how it goes. Looking forward to a day of wrenching.
The reason for lighter oil in the rear is weight transfer to the drive wheels.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I always felt the AE servo horns splines were molded too tight. I always use in general an aluminum horn that fits nicely and just feel that if you need to pull off the horn and make adjustments it is easier during initial setup with your radio.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:31 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
The B5M is generally not twitchy, in fact, its super stable. If your car is twitchy its 100% a set up issue. My only recommendation is go back to stock and go from there. The box set up is pretty good.

When I hear about all of these alternate set up types I honestly question how much faster, if it all, the changes make most guys. The best example was our dear friend Wild Cherry. He had a a host of changes that the "Team guys" were making every week and it was worth 0 tenths for him but his car felt better every week. I really think the best way to keep getting better is to practice and keep your car well maintained. I'm not a big believer in constantly changing things around. Once you have a decent set up I think you should just try to run some laps.

As some have mentioned, the factory manual does a pretty decent job of explaining what certain things do...I recommend if your asking a lot of questions that you look at the manual. Going on AEs website and copying Cav's latest set up is only going to work for you if you drive like he does....or as fast.

I agree with this....Been racing since 96, esp big in nitro touring sedan. One thing I have learned over the years is build a neutral set-up...concentrate on tires and then shock springs, and learn to drive your car under any conditions......I can't tell you how many times I would nap in between heats while others were tearing apart cars, changing this, changing that.....Never made any sense to me. Track conditions change by the hour sometimes so whats the sense of constantly changing set-ups.....
Old 02-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by air8
Yep. Sounds about the same here. I bought this car used 5 weeks ago. Just now had time to go through the car and find out the setup plus redo the diff. My B5-R still has the same diff from October '14 and feels good.

I use an old outdrive, 600 sandpaper, and do several figure 8's to get a crosshatch on the rings for traction.

I've never mic'd the rings but actually had that thought tonight.
I got a 4x4 piece of marble. It has a really flat surface and place the paper on it. Use motor spray to lube the paper. Makes it nice and flat. No need to but the expensive aftermarket rings that are way overpriced.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aeRayls
The reason for lighter oil in the rear is weight transfer to the drive wheels.
Thats what i thought which is exactly why I'm going to heavier oil. Everyone is putting weight in the front to keep the car from pushing because the weight transfers to much.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Thats what i thought which is exactly why I'm going to heavier oil. Everyone is putting weight in the front to keep the car from pushing because the weight transfers to much.
I never ran weight in mine. Always used a sq pack in mod. If I ran it in the forward position, all the steering I needed.

Using a gearing that moves the motor as far forward as possible was the biggest help in the rear car.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Im running the motor all the way forward as well (66/32) I am also running a square pack forward. Did you run the MM rear arms? Last time around that was what seem to help the most.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

I quit running that car at the end of the summer. Never tried the mid rear arms. I ran the gull front arms and tower with 3mm trailing.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone try the new FT +4mm aluminum arm mount? Is it worth the upgrade?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
Anyone try the new FT +4mm aluminum arm mount? Is it worth the upgrade?
I've got mine, just waiting on a track day. It's important to note that you also need the narrower 5mm rear hex as well.

This should prove to be a good tuning option when on high grip and carpet and will some stability to the car.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
I've got mine, just waiting on a track day. It's important to note that you also need the narrower 5mm rear hex as well.

This should prove to be a good tuning option when on high grip and carpet and will some stability to the car.
When you say stability, does that translate to increased resistance to traction rolling?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
I got a 4x4 piece of marble. It has a really flat surface and place the paper on it. Use motor spray to lube the paper. Makes it nice and flat. No need to but the expensive aftermarket rings that are way overpriced.
I've only purchased the AE diff rings. Guess I didn't know there were others that fit. Good to know wet sanding the rings works as well. Yet again that is something I have thought of before, but just never tried it.

Glad to see others are sanding the diff rings. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something wrong when people at the track look at me weird for wasting the time to sand the rings. Like Razathorn said, sometimes the new rings have something on them, or imperfections on the surface.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.