Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree136Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Wildcat, we just happen to be posting at the same time. This was directed at the weekend warriors..
Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
wit the pucks and the cut gears, you will notice a bit more acceleration. But you will also lose about 30 grams of weight over the tires. I have been running the pucks, cut gears and all the light weight stuff. I still have traction to spare and I will be trying the 3 gear out this weekend....if my motor plate comes in.
Yes but you run on a pretty high bite track right? Mine are medium and medium to high but lately both my tracks have been medium so I think with the pucks and the 3 gear I will prob loose to much rear traction but we will see bc I am still going to try it.

But do the cut gears really make that big of a difference?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbowen
Yes but you run on a pretty high bite track right? Mine are medium and medium to high but lately both my tracks have been medium so I think with the pucks and the 3 gear I will prob loose to much rear traction but we will see bc I am still going to try it.

But do the cut gears really make that big of a difference?
the cut gears reduce the drag a bit. I tried both with the same bearings and case. The cut gears had much lower friction. Are they magic? No, but less friction is less work for the motor and slightly quicker. They also have slightly less rotation mass. IMO, it is "part" of the equation. I have been running my cut gears for months with no issues.

And yes, I run on high bite clay. I have not honestly run the MM car on lower bite tracks and not sure that I would. I still have my RM conversion just in case I run on a lower bite track.

But, I was also worried about losing rear grip with the pucks, but it didnt seem to be an issue. If it is for you, pucks plus the brass front C mount might be the way to go. reducing rotational mass is much more advantageous, than static weight. Reducing the rotational mass really brings these 17.5 motors to life.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Mason
Wildcat, we just happen to be posting at the same time. This was directed at the weekend warriors..
yeah. I am still in awe on how durable cars are today. Well not the b44.3, but most of the rest, lol. It is great not worrying about finishing the race, and just driving. With the "dumping" days behind us and the durability way up on the cars, now we just drive, tune and spend a$$ loads of money on upgrades. lol. Man racing Mid Motor in 17.5 is expensive

Side note on the 3 gear. I had to shim my diff in the 4 gear case on all of my cars. With the 3 gear cases, that was not required. I have zero lateral play with no shims. Might just be my case, but I thought I would share.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

the cut gears reduce the drag a bit. I tried both with the same bearings and case. The cut gears had much lower friction. Are they magic? No, but less friction is less work for the motor and slightly quicker. They also have slightly less rotation mass. IMO, it is "part" of the equation. I have been running my cut gears for months with no issues.

And yes, I run on high bite clay. I have not honestly run the MM car on lower bite tracks and not sure that I would. I still have my RM conversion just in case I run on a lower bite track.

But, I was also worried about losing rear grip with the pucks, but it didnt seem to be an issue. If it is for you, pucks plus the brass front C mount might be the way to go. reducing rotational mass is much more advantageous, than static weight. Reducing the rotational mass really brings these 17.5 motors to life.
Ok thanks I would think ceramic gearbox bearings would be a better upgrade than the cut gears right?

Also my MM has been amazing on my tracks just have to tune for the lower bite and right tires of course and I ran pucks with the 4 gear and they were fine really didnt notice any loss of traction but what I was saying is with the 3 gear I am hearing people say they lost to much traction with the pucks and 3 gear but you may be exactly right and I think that's what I'm gonna do is use the pucks with the brass c block! Thanks!

Also ya Associated updated the gear mesh and other things on the new gearboxes including the 4 gear supposedly and one thing I forgot to say about the 3 gear with the updated mesh is it is SUPPPPEERRR quiet I couldn't believe it at first and its amazing how big of a difference gear mesh makes in noise.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Prophet

well.......my 3 gear is not as free as my 4 gear was. I did back off my tranny screws a 1/4 turn to help, but still not great. I am hoping it will break in. And yes, I use the Avid Aura Ceramic bearing in my tranny. Ceramics to make it much smoother. But the cut gears help, the 3 gear will probably help and so on. It all adds up. The single best item for 17.5 is probably the pucks. Then that light weight topshaft and Avid Evo slipper. After that is the ceramics and cut gears. IMO, that is the order of "greatness" of the upgrades. you can use the Avid $1 bearing, blow out the grease and lube them with Slip, and they are very free. The ceramics just stay free longer. I like the Aurora Bearings because they dont have shields for the most part, and are really easy to clean and lube.

Also, did you say you are running a slipper eliminator on medium bite? I am not sure I would do that. Many guys run them locally on high bite, but I have heard mixed reviews on medium bite. Hard to get on the throttle out of the corners. I dont use one, because I dont feel the need.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

are all the parts out now for the 3 gear
Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

A few weeks ago, my daughter broke a plastic pin brace and a bulkhead. I had a bulkhead, but no pin brace. The LHS didnt have the part. So I asked a local JC sponsored driver is he had an alum pin brace he could sell me. He told me that he does not use them. I asked why and his response was, "They bend". He said they would tweak a little bit and make the car worse. Then I started looked around at a few other fast AE factory drivers cars and realized they dont use them either. It is mostly a few JC drivers sporting the alum pin brace, mostly for sales I think. I do not think the pin brace or bulkhead are that fragile. In fact my daughter broke 2 arms this weekend, bend a front hinge pin, but did not break the pin brace or bulkhead.
Thanks Wildcat,

the aspect of bending sounds plausible...
Well then, better get a beer or two for the money.

Cheers!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

well.......my 3 gear is not as free as my 4 gear was. I did back off my tranny screws a 1/4 turn to help, but still not great. I am hoping it will break in. And yes, I use the Avid Aura Ceramic bearing in my tranny. Ceramics to make it much smoother. But the cut gears help, the 3 gear will probably help and so on. It all adds up. The single best item for 17.5 is probably the pucks. Then that light weight topshaft and Avid Evo slipper. After that is the ceramics and cut gears. IMO, that is the order of "greatness" of the upgrades. you can use the Avid $1 bearing, blow out the grease and lube them with Slip, and they are very free. The ceramics just stay free longer. I like the Aurora Bearings because they dont have shields for the most part, and are really easy to clean and lube.

Also, did you say you are running a slipper eliminator on medium bite? I am not sure I would do that. Many guys run them locally on high bite, but I have heard mixed reviews on medium bite. Hard to get on the throttle out of the corners. I dont use one, because I dont feel the need.
Ok cool I am deff getting ceramic gearbox bearings and yes I am running a slipper eliminator and I was never a fan of them until I tried one during the CRCRC midwest champs and I put it on the night before and honestly completely forgot I put in on and I went out to run my qualifier the next morning and I couldn't figure out why my car had so much more punch until it finally hit me I had put the slipper eliminator on. So I can say that it was not in my head bc I forgot I put it on, it does make a difference. But yes you are right you really have to watch getting on the throttle when the track is loose but for the most part its not to bad but I think I am going to go back to the Avid slipper when it is loose.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Finally getting my BUILT b5m soon. Cannot wait! Been out of buggy for a month now and im itching to get back in!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vito
are all the parts out now for the 3 gear
Guys have them in their cars so they are available. However, availability might be limited.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Mattkore
Finally getting my BUILT b5m soon. Cannot wait! Been out of buggy for a month now and im itching to get back in!
If you are going to be running W3, look into the Proline Primes. I ran mine for the first time this weekend at w3 and they were very very good.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Is the 3 gear tranny ok for running mod? Im just coming out of 17.5 and want to got with a 10.5 to start.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

instead of eliminator I run the two pad v2, and crank it down as needed but can adjust if track gets loose or dry.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

three gear is sounding good. what is the weight difference from the 4 gear? it does take different bearings from 4 gear, so can't move them over from 4 to 3?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.