Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
Best value of anything in this hobby I've come across. $15 knockoff of a $100 Hakko. Less money than a cheapo 60w Weller iron. I've used mine for about 2 years without any issues. It is usually on backorder but only takes a week or two to restock and ship out.

You need a Hakko chisel tip (T-18 S3) the supplied tip is for small delicate joints, not the 12g wire we work with. You would have to do the same if you spent the $$ on the real Hakko too.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I have the same one as well and LOVE it. Seriously the best tool investment I've made thus far...and one of the cheapest of all my tools. And x2 on the chisel tip...it's mandatory IMO. The tip that comes with the iron is virtually useless for the stuff we do.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Just use the 63/37 solder as far as possible. Way most consistent melting point and flow. Never have to use extra flux, the solder has enough to flow perfect. I even wire ESC leads and replace servo leads with the same stuff without using any extra flux. The 60/40 stuff is ok in a pinch but flows weird for precise work.

I buy it by the pound from amazon, the kester stuff.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Any word on when a Factory Team version will be released?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by touringdriver
Any word on when a Factory Team version will be released?
nope, but based on AE's release model of late. I would say about a year from now.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Waflet
Hideeho
If you look at the very bottomthere is a link to the same station in the international warehouse. The drawback about that is shipping is $30. $45 is still a deal on that station though
$10 from the US warehouse ($25 is still less than a weller) but it wasn't bad when I ordered because I went there for a $7 lipo for my MT-4 so the $10 shipping and $7 lipo was still $15 less than the mainstream $30+ lipo options... kind of paid for the soldering station shipping

@ Pitt...
Its exactly the same as my buddies track power, he was a little mad at me when he saw mine
Old 03-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Legend

The layout design can favor a rear motor as well.
Lots of tight high speed corners & big jumps favor the rear design .

Only disadvantages the rear design has is when you are at big events .

At those races the traction is usually very high and the rear design becomes difficult to control & becomes darty as traction comes up.

My opinion still is one is not better then the other, you'll need both if you travel to other race facility's.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
The layout design can favor a rear motor as well.
Lots of tight high speed corners & big jumps favor the rear design .

Only disadvantages the rear design has is when you are at big events .

At those races the traction is usually very high and the rear design becomes difficult to control & becomes darty as traction comes up.

My opinion still is one is not better then the other, you'll need both if you travel to other race facility's.
Disagree. Our local track, Champs RC, is high bite and MM dominates there. RM just simply doesn't have the corner speed when traction is up... no matter the layout. I personally own both and enjoy how easy the B5 is on a loose outdoor track. B5m for high bite indoor.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have only ran one pack car seems slow. with 72 33&34 no top end. 50 deg timing kill shot high tq 17.5.
If you have the kill shot whats your gearing? Timing>
Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Wildcat1971;13125790]
Originally Posted by the incubus

which flux do you use? I have only been using the 60/40 rosin core and have debated trying flux for the motor/esc connections.

I agree. I always used the stock rings, then picked up some sanded rings. The sanded rings definitely make the diff feel better for longer.
Any hobby shop will have the paste flux and it is what I prefer. Liquid flux is difficult to manage. Paste yo can dip pre tinned leads and they hold exactly what you need and nothing more. For joining leads to contact points on ESC's and Motors I use my X-acto knife and scoop a tiny bit and place it on the contact points and then hold the pre-tinned lead in position, apply heat and it's done.

63/37 or 60/40 provide equal results in my experience. Both are excellent but Flux makes for superior results regardless of which of those you use.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

http://www.rcnews.net/2014/03/22/rdr...utch-bulkhead/

Old 03-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fq06
$10 from the US warehouse ($25 is still less than a weller) but it wasn't bad when I ordered because I went there for a $7 lipo for my MT-4 so the $10 shipping and $7 lipo was still $15 less than the mainstream $30+ lipo options... kind of paid for the soldering station shipping

@ Pitt...
Its exactly the same as my buddies track power, he was a little mad at me when he saw mine
I have had both of them. There almost the same. The trak power has better tips. They are thicker and hold heat better. Also seams to heat faster and more consistent. The hobby king model ended up getting a crack in the heating element deal in the hand held portion as well. Just had better luck with the trak power. Plus it has a 5 year warranty.

I gate the hobby king one to a kid at the track. I feel the trak power was worth the money. Hobby king model is undeniablly a great value. I just opted to spend the extra money.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

[QUOTE=the incubus;13125459]
Originally Posted by sunco1

While a soldering station is nice, it IS NOT needed. All you need is a good 60w or higher iron with a chisel tip so you can apply heat on a broader area. Pointy tips aren't as efficient for this application. Just be sure to get a solder stand because you can leave the iron on longer without overcooking the tip. The spiral ring absorbs and dissipates heat from the tip.

Then… contrary to what many people say, FLUX IS YOUR FRIEND!!!
The key is to not overdo it with the flux and use sparingly. Flux helps carry heat through the components much quicker and more efficiently and the only thing it corrodes really is the tip of the iron which is why I place flux in between the 2 points I'm soldering. It generates heat much more quickly and the result is a nice shiny joint.

Also use insulated alligator clips to hold your leads so you're not trying to get it to cool too quickly. You want it to cool on its own terms. Otherwise you end up with cold solder joints.

If you do a lot of soldering and can justify spending $80 or better on a higher end iron, go for it. If not, just go with a nice 60w and do as I explained and be done with it.
Yup I use a stand to rest the iron in. I try to use my helping hands as much as possible. As far as solder, I have using .032 60/40 rosin core wire. I have always had trouble getting good clean solder joint and I've always blamed it on my iron not getting hot enough. For now I will leave it be, but next time I pull the esc out of the car I will try again. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
I use liquid flux, but there are paste fluxes available.

It is my understanding that diff rings are punched, not machined.
They are. That's why there is a flat side and a rounded side.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double Dee
I have only ran one pack car seems slow. with 72 33&34 no top end. 50 deg timing kill shot high tq 17.5.
If you have the kill shot whats your gearing? Timing>
try a 69 spur,i think those ht motors are good for sc or stadium truck.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxracer458
try a 69 spur,i think those ht motors are good for sc or stadium truck.
I have the avid with 69. Ill try that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.