Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 01-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

hows mid motor with a 17.5 be or is mid for mod racing
Old 01-03-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Gear diff ?

Is there someone that can tell if the B4 geardiff will fit ?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adamska27
The key here is that the plates hit the gear when they broke in. I have experimented with less than designed diff balls many times, in an effort to reduce spring pressure but diffs need to be broken in to work with any real amount of torque. Running less balls (hehe, ok grown up again) is an oooolllldddd pan car trick and nothing weird. Sometimes the diff spring (even new) is too weak to spread across so many balls (in a smoothness losing move) run 2 or 3 less and remove evenly around. I've been known to pull 4 out of 14 or 16.

The new gearbox looks fantastic. They say stronger plastic, one of my complaints with the 3 - 4 platform. Carbide diff balls in the kit -- great call. Durango gives you aluminum balls in the kit and they melt with a 7.5.

I hope the rings are keyed -- I get annoyed with having to ca them.

The reason you dump your 4.2 is easy -- this car looks fantastic -- they claim to have fixed all the things that sucked and were antiquated. The insert thing is just plain easy and smart, and the 5 positions in the rear is a nice touch. Finally, a new gearbox and proper metric hardware. The new slipper was great, leave it alone, the new turnbuckles and ball ends look great, the old AE ones (and the RPM equiv) were long overdue for an overhaul.

I'm willing to replace arms often in exchange for less weight, however it was a bit out of hand with the 4.2.

I have to say, it looks like they hit this one out of the park
I don't know why you would want to CA your diff rings in place?

An additional function they provide is a 'safe' place for the diff to 'give' before slipping the diff balls. An example of this would be when losi went away from D-rings in their XXX platform and have continued the trend of all the other good diff makers like AE to use non-keyed diff rings. I could see how this would be different though for on-road.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jan F
Is there someone that can tell if the B4 geardiff will fit ?
Pretty sure it won't because they've moved to metric.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by lee111m
Pretty sure it won't because they've moved to metric.
B4.1,2 Diff outdrives are already metric (10*16mm) I use it on a Bmax2 car thats all metric.

The idler gears could be bigger in dia? I know they were a weak Point on 4gear boxes.

But have they changed the diameter of the diffgear to ?

To race this on Astroturf you will need a geardiff for good lap-times (1 sek a lap) and a ball diff wont last a day on a high-grip astro track...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OptimumRC
I don't know why you would want to CA your diff rings in place?

An additional function they provide is a 'safe' place for the diff to 'give' before slipping the diff balls. An example of this would be when losi went away from D-rings in their XXX platform and have continued the trend of all the other good diff makers like AE to use non-keyed diff rings. I could see how this would be different though for on-road.
The 22-4 uses keyed diff rings.

I've never used CA to hold my diff rings, but I always preferred that they were keyed.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

The bearing size is only one part of it. The bones would need to be the same size also (not length). I am not sure anyone can answer that as of now. Someone said the new diff has the same amount of teeth, so it could definitely be possible if that is the case.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong

I've never used CA to hold my diff rings, but I always preferred that they were keyed.
were those diffs designed 15 years ago like most of the car j/k kinda.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
The bearing size is only one part of it. The bones would need to be the same size also (not length). I am not sure anyone can answer that as of now. Someone said the new diff has the same amount of teeth, so it could definitely be possible if that is the case.
I really like the Associated diffs ,both the ball and the gear diff .
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Most pan cars use keyed diff rings.

Back on topic:

Is AE going to release any additional photos of the rear of the car, or the underside?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vito
hows mid motor with a 17.5 be or is mid for mod racing
I'm wondering too? Anyone?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i understand that additional photos and a video will come out. A full product page will eventually come out.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong

From what I recall, I think at the worlds the 22-4 had a lot of drivetrain issues, either slipper or diff issues. Regardless, the fact that their 2wd has non-keyed diff rings and the 4wd does just makes me think that they do not have the best idea on what they are doing in the diff department. I would look at diffs that have proven to do well and Kyosho and Associated certainly aren't keyed.

@Wildcat, I thought the same thing...lol

Bottom line, non-keyed diff rings are not bad, especially in off-road.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

From what I recall, I think at the worlds the 22-4 had a lot of drivetrain issues, either slipper or diff issues. Regardless, the fact that their 2wd has non-keyed diff rings and the 4wd does just makes me think that they do not have the best idea on what they are doing in the diff department. I would look at diffs that have proven to do well and Kyosho and Associated certainly aren't keyed.
That's why I asked about AE's use of the 14 ball diff. With the issues that TLR had initially, I'm unclear as to why they went to 14. Hopefully they figured it out.

Bottom line, non-keyed diff rings are not bad, especially in off-road.
Never said they were, just stated my preference for ones that are keyed.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

yep, I looked at the xx4 manual and they were keyed. My guess... tlr was lazy and just left it that way with no real reason, other than to save time and money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.