R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree9Likes

Old 08-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #14971
Tech Initiate

Finally got my lite on the track for its maiden voyage. Snapped the front bulkhead and one of the rear ball stewards sheared off. Oops.

The biggest problem was that my car would become unresponsive to varying degrees sometimes. Sometimes reverse wouldn't work. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all. The weirdest thing was that the steering would work every time. One time I noticed the blue wire came disconnected at the connector. Every other time all wires were connected. The motor wasn't hot and neither was the battery.

Car was super smooth and such a blast to drive. Any ideas on why it'd randomly just brick?
slashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #14972
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashed View Post
Finally got my lite on the track for its maiden voyage. Snapped the front bulkhead and one of the rear ball stewards sheared off. Oops.

The biggest problem was that my car would become unresponsive to varying degrees sometimes. Sometimes reverse wouldn't work. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all. The weirdest thing was that the steering would work every time. One time I noticed the blue wire came disconnected at the connector. Every other time all wires were connected. The motor wasn't hot and neither was the battery.

Car was super smooth and such a blast to drive. Any ideas on why it'd randomly just brick?
Sounds like your receiver or your esc is going bad, or it could even be your transmitter. You could try a glitch buster and see what that does
Slash 4x4, tekno 410, slash 2wd, blue eagle, radicator
85' goldpan, rc10 worlds car, losi xx4
sanderson373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #14973
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderson373 View Post
Sounds like your receiver or your esc is going bad
I think it'd probably be the esc. I could still turn the wheels and everything when it would stop. It was just forward and reverse.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #14974
Tech Initiate

There also seems to be a lot of static noise when the car is on.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #14975
Tech Regular

Quote:

Having just gotten back into this hobby with my own B5M Lite, I have had a massive learning curve with these new computer radios and digital ESC. I ran into almost the same odd behavior after playing with settings on my transmitter and forgetting to recalibrate my ESC. Limited throttle, occasionally going in a slow reverse with throttle in neutral position, others moving at a slow pace forward with throttle in neutral. A couple other times the ESC would not go forward or back, I thought I had screwed up my almost brand new ESC. After tinkering and thinking about it way too long, it finally dawned on me I had played with end-point, throttle and brake curves and had not reset the ESC to see these new beginning and end points. I would try and recalibrate the ESC and you should be ok.
Fasttrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #14976
Tech Rookie

Just got a new B5mLite after being out of the hobby for many years. Thx for all the great info everyone
CalRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #14977

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

For you folks that are new and having problems, don't hesitate to ask for help from people at your local tracks. A lot of us enjoy helping others at the track...almost as much as the racing itself.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #14978
Tech Initiate

One more question...I can't seem to get any punch out of my motor. There is just no power and I can barely clear a double if I carry a lot of speed around the corner and take it wide. Esc is on blinky, no timing. I have a 2s lipo. I feel like it should be faster.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #14979
Tech Regular

Quote:
One more question...I can't seem to get any punch out of my motor. There is just no power and I can barely clear a double if I carry a lot of speed around the corner and take it wide. Esc is on blinky, no timing. I have a 2s lipo. I feel like it should be faster.
If your ESC is a juststock, try taking it out of touring car mode. Otherwise, it is a 17.5, power is limited. Are you direct wired from the ESC? Gearing? Timing? Rotor size?
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #14980
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas PA View Post
If your ESC is a juststock, try taking it out of touring car mode. Otherwise, it is a 17.5, power is limited. Are you direct wired from the ESC? Gearing? Timing? Rotor size?
17.5. Everything is stock as far as the gearing. There's connectors from the esc to the motor. No positive or negative timing. Esc/motor are both dynamite platinum. Should I try smaller gears?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #14981
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
17.5. Everything is stock as far as the gearing. There's connectors from the esc to the motor. No positive or negative timing. Esc/motor are both dynamite platinum. Should I try smaller gears?
What are your temps?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #14982
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
What are your temps?
Haven't used a heat gun but when I go to marshall my car ill give it a quick touch and neither the battery nor the motor is even really warm. Maybe a little heat but definitely not overheating.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #14983
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Haven't used a heat gun but when I go to marshall my car ill give it a quick touch and neither the battery nor the motor is even really warm. Maybe a little heat but definitely not overheating.
Motors normally come with a more mild timing from the factory. You need to turn them up a little to get some speed out of them. By looking at that motor, I would guess you need to turn it up 2-3 tick marks on the motor. And maybe run 72/30 gearing to start with
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #14984
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Motors normally come with a more mild timing from the factory. You need to turn them up a little to get some speed out of them. By looking at that motor, I would guess you need to turn it up 2-3 tick marks on the motor. And maybe run 72/30 gearing to start with
Ok. Ill try that. And I'm assuming I need to change the esc? Or can I have a few degrees of timing and leave the esc in blink mode?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #14985
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Ok. Ill try that. And I'm assuming I need to change the esc? Or can I have a few degrees of timing and leave the esc in blink mode?
motor. leave the esc alone, once the punch is set to 100%