R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #1471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropmonky View Post
When you're sponsored and get parts at low low prices or for free sure, you don't need the TiN coated shock shafts. However I've found that the coating does two things that are great for club racers. Not to mention if it wasn't a good thing to have then why do you see just about all the manufacturers using it?

1. The coating is harder thus the shafts last longer with less wear on the diameter of the shaft.
2. You can SEE how the shock shafts wear throughout time, when the coating is showing thin or rubbed off completely you know it's time for a new set. You can't SEE any difference when the shafts have no coating.

The composite shock caps are just fine. I rebuild my shocks quite a bit and plastic bits just don't last very long in this sort of situation. Again, if you get them for free or at like 50% off then it's not a big deal to just buy more, but I like things that last. Also, the shock bushings are steel for the B5 kit VS aluminum ones on the older FT B4.2's.

Anyhow, here are a few shots of the car, all ready for the JBRL race at IERC. Excuse the poor paint job, but I had to paint it before running so I could see the car at OCRC last Sunday. A 30sec paint job. BTW, it's currently setup with a Reedy 17.5 and a Protek 3000mah shorty pack.

First of all how much do shafts cost? And all the other things you say are not in the kit. You make it sound like you have to take out a loan to replace them when you need to. Sponsored or not.

Based on your servo and esc wiring you lost all credibility with me thats a mess. Just sayin
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #1472
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh man. If cosmetic modifications causes one to lose their credibility, then nobody should ever listen to anything I say. Ever. I mean, I won't even have an airbrushed body! OMG!

FWIW, I always have a bit of a mini-bird's nest going on, as I typically don't ever cut servo, transponder, or ESC wiring in the case I ever want to sell them.

The Certainty Principal - "Only the person who doesn't fully understand the problem has complete certainty about the best solution and its consequences. Certainty is proportional to the square of Ignorance (C≈IČ)"
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #1473
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I think he was partly joking. But it goes go to attention to detail. You dont need to cut them. You can coil them into black shrink tube and make it look stealthy and nice. When I buy used cars, their wiring (if shown) and their paint job go a long way into deciding to buy or not. Plus there are lots of other little things to look at. I rarely ever get a lemon doing this sort of filtering. I am very sure that if you post your pics and it looks sloppy, people will take you less seriously. First impressions and all.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #1474
Tech Addict

lol... you don't need to get the gold shafts... and they do wear over time just like any other shaft, wont matter the coating.
What I was saying is you don't need to run out and buy them if you don't want to... wait till the stockers are worn if you want.

I also wanted to say on ball studs if you want smoothest possible, even smoother then the gold ones... then just put the ball into the dremel, use a little polishing paste in a rag and spin on low for a few seconds.. smooth as glass.

its like waxing your car after a winter.. shines it up and makes the surface super smooth.

I use stock ball ends polished.. but I did put the gold shafts on my car because I like the look of them.

oh... if you don't have a dremel.. as someone asked about.. then a small drill could work, just be really careful. but a dremel for rc is almost a must have item.
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #1475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default hint about shocks

One of the things I have been doing on all associated and durango shocks is to use thin water balloons as shock boots. It does wonders in keeping the shock free and smooth, and because no dirt gets onto the shaft, the oil, seals, and shaft coating basically last forever. In addition, because the balloon is so thin, it doesn't interfere with the shock action at all.

http://www.partycity.com/product/wat...tment++60ct.do

You get 60 for .99, in assorted colors. I know that in r/c, we have to pay at least $5 for 4, so I am willing to sell them for $19.95 for 5. I would also suggest that you throw out at least 1 full bottle of shock oil once a week to compensate for the oil you will not be using.

This works the exact same way as 1/8 buggy shock boots. You cut a small hole in the bottom of the balloon, fit the neck over the bottom of the shock, and stretch the balloon until it is just over the bottom eyelet. You use the tool slot in the middle of the shock to hold the balloon on. The bottom spring retainer fits over the balloon.

In addition, because you are getting 60 for .99, feel free to give away the colors you don't like to other racers.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #1476
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
One of the things I have been doing on all associated and durango shocks is to use thin water balloons as shock boots. It does wonders in keeping the shock free and smooth, and because no dirt gets onto the shaft, the oil, seals, and shaft coating basically last forever. In addition, because the balloon is so thin, it doesn't interfere with the shock action at all.

http://www.partycity.com/product/wat...tment++60ct.do

You get 60 for .99, in assorted colors. I know that in r/c, we have to pay at least $5 for 4, so I am willing to sell them for $19.95 for 5. I would also suggest that you throw out at least 1 full bottle of shock oil once a week to compensate for the oil you will not be using.

This works the exact same way as 1/8 buggy shock boots. You cut a small hole in the bottom of the balloon, fit the neck over the bottom of the shock, and stretch the balloon until it is just over the bottom eyelet. You use the tool slot in the middle of the shock to hold the balloon on. The bottom spring retainer fits over the balloon.

In addition, because you are getting 60 for .99, feel free to give away the colors you don't like to other racers.
Can you post a pic? I would like to see that.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #1477
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
Based on your servo and esc wiring you lost all credibility with me thats a mess. Just sayin
Before you go judging... Did you read his initial post that he was at the track with almost zero time left to finish the car build and electronics before race time? That's why he has his old B4 shocks on as well. Give the man some slack! He ran his B5m on Sunday (I believe)

Last edited by rigor; 03-04-2014 at 08:52 AM.
rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #1478
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
redrc.net
liverc.com is the center of all rc news
I actually find LiveRC to lack global race coverage/info in comparison to RedRC or NeoBuggy.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #1479
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
I am so visually oriented. Do you mind snapping a couple pics when you get the chance ?

Thanks,
Jesse
Old 03-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #1480
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic-X View Post
First of all how much do shafts cost? And all the other things you say are not in the kit. You make it sound like you have to take out a loan to replace them when you need to. Sponsored or not.

I'm not saying you NEED to buy/do these things. Rather, if you have a FT B4.2 you have options. Everyone has their own feelings about how to do things and I'm just sharing what I did.

The wiring on my setup isn't the prettiest. It's tucked in there tightly and doesn't move around. I keep my R/C stuff semi clean but in tip top shape. I could care less if you have a fetish for uber perfect wiring. Like foot fetishes, not my thing. From the top picture it does look a lot more messy than it looks in person.

Anyhow, I hope everyone gets their B5M's soon, it's an amazing car! I'm off to test it out on the new OCRC layout!
tropmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #1481
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know if there is an "available" body that will go on our 5M's right now?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #1482
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

now that's a great question!
tropmonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #1483
Tech Adept

Proline released the phantom body for the b5m this mourning!!!
SilentHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #1484
Tech Master

Jason from JConcepts said the Silencer body should be widely available later this week.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #1485
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyberfish

I would love to hear a quick summary of how this car feels compared to your Centro for anyone that has both? Does it feel similar or are there some standout traits you have noticed so far that make the B5M much better?
Cyberfish is offline   Reply With Quote