R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree6Likes

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #14746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jva View Post
Thx . Bought the b5m used and came with a Tekin rs esc and track star 17.5 motor. Saw the pinion was a 32 tooth but don't know the spur. Timing on esc helped but quite sluggish coming out of a turn into jumps especially making a double
I would say it could be the gearing or the motor is weak. I haven't ran my D4 17.5 yet but from what I see at my local track they are snapping out of corners and hitting doubles easy. Maybe pick up a used D4 in a 17.5 and 10.5 and run the 17.5 to get practice in and be smoother before jumping to the 10.5
carcrazy699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #14747
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Per Paul Wynn's suggestion I trimmed the ribbing on the inside where the foam touches the wheel. This gives the tire a flatter profile.

Also, for those coming to nats. Many many local drivers are running 4wd dirt tech foams in the 2wd fronts. I have not tried this yet, but plan to soon. It makes for a really stiff front tire.
Thanks
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #14748
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Ceramic trans bearings?

Hey all, wondering what your opinions are with the schelle ceramics vs. the avid ones. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #14749
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin payne View Post
Hey all, wondering what your opinions are with the schelle ceramics vs. the avid ones. Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences.
Waste of money IMO.... and this is coming from a guy that buys a LOT of crap for his RC cars Just run either the protec brearings from amain, or avids, and call it a day.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #14750
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin payne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Waste of money IMO.... and this is coming from a guy that buys a LOT of crap for his RC cars Just run either the protec brearings from amain, or avids, and call it a day.
I built my b5m with the standard Avid bearings ($1 a bearing), I took the seals out, blew the grease out, lightly oiled them and was happy. A few months down the road I got a set of the schelle ceramics and it was night and day difference. Just in your hand you can feel the difference. They are a great upgrade for stock guys, mod....who cares...but stock racing you will want them.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #14751
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I built my b5m with the standard Avid bearings ($1 a bearing), I took the seals out, blew the grease out, lightly oiled them and was happy. A few months down the road I got a set of the schelle ceramics and it was night and day difference. Just in your hand you can feel the difference. They are a great upgrade for stock guys, mod....who cares...but stock racing you will want them.
Were you comparing rubber sealed bearings to metal shielded bearings? Big difference there. The only advantage I can find in ceramic bearings, is that they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. But my gearbox is apart often enough that I don't really care.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #14752
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have factory b5m lite bearings now. Im looking at the schelle kit which i beleive is metal sheilded on both sides. I think avid kit is only sheilded on one side.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #14753
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

Quote:
Were you comparing rubber sealed bearings to metal shielded bearings? Big difference there. The only advantage I can find in ceramic bearings, is that they don't need to be replaced nearly as often. But my gearbox is apart often enough that I don't really care.
That may be it then...i was comparing the cleaned $1 avid bearings to the schelle ceramic.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #14754
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I had a couple friends ask for my setup after running my car. I dont think there is anything magical about it, but I thought I would post it. Keep in mind, I run on high bite damp clay, but it might be mildly useful to anyone coming to SRS for nationals. The keys to any setup at SRS will be tires, foams, tire prep and tire/foam breakin. I had a few people that were complaining about traction levels. I lent them my tires and they seemed to feel their cars were much more planted. Remember buying the same tires as another guy, does not mean you have the same tires as another guy. YMMV
I'm interested in this because I have never had the opportunity to drive on a track where slicks are the tire of choice.

are Red/yellow springs pretty common?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #14755
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Flotron View Post
I'm interested in this because I have never had the opportunity to drive on a track where slicks are the tire of choice.

are Red/yellow springs pretty common?
locally yes. most even go orange/yellow. I drove a friends "Lite" kit with box stock setup, aside from xrings and it was very mushy. But yes, it is very common to go stiffer locally.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #14756
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am picking up a B5 here soon to do a little offroad racing while we still have some sun and I was wondering what people's impressions are about the Takshima shock bodies. Are they worth the money?
ChadB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #14757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadB. View Post
I am picking up a B5 here soon to do a little offroad racing while we still have some sun and I was wondering what people's impressions are about the Takshima shock bodies. Are they worth the money?

Eh.....they're ok. You really don't need anything if you buy a lite. I have the Kashima coated shocks in a few of my cars and while you can [barely] feel that they are smoother, its not night and day. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means, get em. Its like anything else, what you want isn't always what you need. I have several B5Ms and that are all set up the same but a couple of them have fancier upgrades and if they are all well serviced my laps times are pretty much the same.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #14758
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
That may be it then...i was comparing the cleaned $1 avid bearings to the schelle ceramic.
The rubber shielded bearing (even just one side) adds measurable drag to the bearing. Double metal raced bearings are better, but need to be cleaned or replace more often.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #14759
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
Eh.....they're ok. You really don't need anything if you buy a lite. I have the Kashima coated shocks in a few of my cars and while you can [barely] feel that they are smoother, its not night and day. If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, then by all means, get em. Its like anything else, what you want isn't always what you need. I have several B5Ms and that are all set up the same but a couple of them have fancier upgrades and if they are all well serviced my laps times are pretty much the same.
ChadB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #14760
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
The rubber shielded bearing (even just one side) adds measurable drag to the bearing. Double metal raced bearings are better, but need to be cleaned or replace more often.
In the B5M lite has the rubber sealed bearings but the rubber is only one one side. So it would be better to replace these with just the metal shielded ones? I was going to order the ceramic ones for the transmission soon.
carcrazy699 is offline   Reply With Quote