R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Like Tree7Likes

Old 07-26-2015, 06:03 AM   #14731
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy699 View Post
So tonight I finally got my car all setup and ready for the track. I figured I would weigh it just to see what it would be at. It sits right at 1526g. I am running a D4 maxzilla 1s short stack, tekin rsx, full size airtronics servo, thunder power 3800mah shorty and stock body.

I am guessing this is a good weight to be at. I am wondering what can I do to help to get less drag in the drivetrain. My car is new and I know it will need to "break in" but what else could be done? I have looked into the puck system and also considering the shelle racing slipper. Not sure what else I could do besides tear out all bearings and clean the grease out of them and put my avid bearing oil in.
Build the tranny with graphite powder instead of oil as lube. Slipper eliminator. 3gear if you don't already have it.
Thomas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #14732
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWIDAD View Post
Cut gears(17.5) and ceramic bearings
I was looking at those and did some search on them and saw some people say it isn't worth getting the cut gears but some did. I found them for $18 which seems like a good deal for them. If I do get them is there anything else I need to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas PA View Post
Build the tranny with graphite powder instead of oil as lube. Slipper eliminator. 3gear if you don't already have it.
Can I get the powder at the LHS? I did notice when I did a free spin by hand before putting a few drops of the kit lube on the gears it was nice and free and seemed super smooth until I put the lube and was wondering how to get it back like that. I have the b5m lite so I did get the 3 gear
carcrazy699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #14733
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

[QUOTE=carcrazy699;14111129]I was looking at those and did some search on them and saw some people say it isn't worth getting the cut gears but some did. I found them for $18 which seems like a good deal for them. If I do get them is there anything else I need to do?

Nothing else needed to run them. Just make sure all mesh is good,as usual.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #14734
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I found them for $18 which seems like a good deal for them. If I do get them is there anything else I need to do?
Call NorCal Hobbies, ask for Eric and see if he can ship you out some cut gears. I think NorCal sells them a lot cheaper than that... (408)293-5555
Fast Little Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #14735
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Little Car View Post
Call NorCal Hobbies, ask for Eric and see if he can ship you out some cut gears. I think NorCal sells them a lot cheaper than that... (408)293-5555
Thanks! I will give them a call!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #14736
Tech Elite

Quote:
I was looking at those and did some search on them and saw some people say it isn't worth getting the cut gears but some did. I found them for $18 which seems like a good deal for them. If I do get them is there anything else I need to do?

Can I get the powder at the LHS? I did notice when I did a free spin by hand before putting a few drops of the kit lube on the gears it was nice and free and seemed super smooth until I put the lube and was wondering how to get it back like that. I have the b5m lite so I did get the 3 gear
Graphite powder is usually near the dremel equipment at your home renovation store like home depot or lowes. Or wherever soap box derby cars can be had generally.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #14737
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Quote:
So tonight I finally got my car all setup and ready for the track. I figured I would weigh it just to see what it would be at. It sits right at 1526g. I am running a D4 maxzilla 1s short stack, tekin rsx, full size airtronics servo, thunder power 3800mah shorty and stock body.

I am guessing this is a good weight to be at. I am wondering what can I do to help to get less drag in the drivetrain. My car is new and I know it will need to "break in" but what else could be done? I have looked into the puck system and also considering the shelle racing slipper. Not sure what else I could do besides tear out all bearings and clean the grease out of them and put my avid bearing oil in.
Schelle oiled ceramic gearbox bearings, and your set!
http://www.schelleracing.com/Schelle...304?search=b5m ceramic
http://www.schelleracing.com/Schelle...301?search=b5m ceramic

CB's custom cut gears if ya want em!
http://www.shop.cbscustomrc.com/Asso...a-Set-CBB5.htm
thecman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #14738
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anyone use DryFluid Extreme?

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #14739
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This stuff is pretty good as well for coating gears... but costs quite a bit ..
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #14740
Jva
Tech Initiate

Default 10.5 or 13.5 motor

Newbie here on a reunion tour of duty. Last car was an 89 Losi Jrx2. Finally 25 years later I got the B5m (rc10 I always wanted as a kid) and am really happy. Also have a Tekno SCT. I. Any event its a bit of a let down going to the track on a 17.5 setup. It is making me a better driver but I feel I need more power on the jumps with little lead time. I know everyone will say the 17.5 will make me a better, and it is. However, I'm not having as much fun coming out of the corners so slow. Wondering if it's better to pick up a 13.5 (reedy) or a 10.5 LRP. Both here for about 40-50 bucks hardly used. Keep in mind if I ever race I will be rookie class anyhow and am interested equally both in fun and getting better. Any advice highly appreciated and if anyone has anything to sell please pm me. Thanks very much!
Jva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #14741
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jva View Post
Newbie here on a reunion tour of duty. Last car was an 89 Losi Jrx2. Finally 25 years later I got the B5m (rc10 I always wanted as a kid) and am really happy. Also have a Tekno SCT. I. Any event its a bit of a let down going to the track on a 17.5 setup. It is making me a better driver but I feel I need more power on the jumps with little lead time. I know everyone will say the 17.5 will make me a better, and it is. However, I'm not having as much fun coming out of the corners so slow. Wondering if it's better to pick up a 13.5 (reedy) or a 10.5 LRP. Both here for about 40-50 bucks hardly used. Keep in mind if I ever race I will be rookie class anyhow and am interested equally both in fun and getting better. Any advice highly appreciated and if anyone has anything to sell please pm me. Thanks very much!
What is the setup in the car now? In mine I have a trinity D4 motor and its a slingshot when geared right and timing is set on the motor.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #14742
Jva
Tech Initiate

Default Re

Quote:
What is the setup in the car now? In mine I have a trinity D4 motor and its a slingshot when geared right and timing is set on the motor.
Thx . Bought the b5m used and came with a Tekin rs esc and track star 17.5 motor. Saw the pinion was a 32 tooth but don't know the spur. Timing on esc helped but quite sluggish coming out of a turn into jumps especially making a double
Jva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #14743
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I had a couple friends ask for my setup after running my car. I dont think there is anything magical about it, but I thought I would post it. Keep in mind, I run on high bite damp clay, but it might be mildly useful to anyone coming to SRS for nationals. The keys to any setup at SRS will be tires, foams, tire prep and tire/foam breakin. I had a few people that were complaining about traction levels. I lent them my tires and they seemed to feel their cars were much more planted. Remember buying the same tires as another guy, does not mean you have the same tires as another guy. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Official Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread-b5m-setup-20150727.jpg  
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #14744
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to HBRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I had a couple friends ask for my setup after running my car. I dont think there is anything magical about it, but I thought I would post it. Keep in mind, I run on high bite damp clay, but it might be mildly useful to anyone coming to SRS for nationals. The keys to any setup at SRS will be tires, foams, tire prep and tire/foam breakin. I had a few people that were complaining about traction levels. I lent them my tires and they seemed to feel their cars were much more planted. Remember buying the same tires as another guy, does not mean you have the same tires as another guy. YMMV
Can you give some detail on the trimming you do on the DT foams?
#ocrcarmy
HBRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #14745
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBRob View Post
Can you give some detail on the trimming you do on the DT foams?
Per Paul Wynn's suggestion I trimmed the ribbing on the inside where the foam touches the wheel. This gives the tire a flatter profile.

Also, for those coming to nats. Many many local drivers are running 4wd dirt tech foams in the 2wd fronts. I have not tried this yet, but plan to soon. It makes for a really stiff front tire.